Distances & Handicap

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
thankyou "herb"... exactly

<u>Consistency, confidence & dispersion</u> is all that divides good & average players & the whole point of the thread
so why should your handicap really matter to a supposed clubfitter I use the term loosly, when all they are are sales people

Hell we've all had those moments where we hit that towering drive 10 yards beyond a green we know is 303yards or more tee to green, but that was not what I was interested in that at all, even though I've done it. But notice I've currently quoted my driver as only getting 250 - 260 yards

Oh I can muscle the drive 280 yards if I want, but if its at the cost of accuracy what's the point. Which is better 250 yards down the middle swinging within yourself, or 290 yards fifty yards right of the fairway in the trees, or for that matter that piercing draw sent probably 320 yards but left of the fairway onto the oposite bank of the river trent. No point what so ever.

Anyway I'm in great danger of falling into big willy zone myself there

So if I'm swinging my 6 iron in the fitting bay, between 83 & 95 mph what shaft would a club fitter choose...? especially when I'm hitting them sweet as a nut & the dispesion is also quite good.

I only mention this last one as I thought it interesting "andirichie" brought up. And another thankyou needed there.

lol and absolutely agree with you. I can hit a draw and smack it 350yds, trouble is its never where I want it lol.My natural shot is straightish to gentle fade and regularily 250/270 range and at least Im more often on the fairway or rolled into the light rough (doesnt mean I dont duff some of those shots too when I go for a biggy)but rarely in trouble.Its hard for me at my age now to go easy, having tasted a low H/C and been that BIG HITTER in the past, if I had the sense I have now with the skills I had then,I would have been a pro lol.

Why is it everyone feels the need to say I can hit it this far when in fact they can't (in normal conditions). It takes a massive amount of clubhead speed to hit the ball 350 yards. 270 up to 350 yards is around 30mph difference in clubhead speed. I have a clubhead speed of 110mph which is not overly quick, my average drive is probably between 260 and 270 yards but there is no way I can hit a 350 yard drive.

Most of our normal swings are around that hundred mph figure with driver I believe & you are right in normal conditions, the 250 - 280 range for most mortals with modern equipment is all most peole can hope for. Infact there are probably many golfers/posters, who only get driving distances in the 230-250range. Anything quoting 300 yards is going to be under extrodinary conditions, where the temperature & barametric air pressure suits hitting the ball just that little quicker & the ball will fly just that little better in exceptional conditions.

There are people out there that have amazing swing speeds & control with the driver & yet play shite golf. Just look at all these people who enter long drive contests.

However at times I do believe, that we are in danger of over-estimating our driving distances. Hence why the new technology of GPS & laser range finders are so useful to so many people to get this down accuratly. Then of course we get onto the subject of carry distance & roll. The Pro's will want to know carry & the amatures will want to know total distance, as it suites the amateur to get those few extra yards on their stats. Its interesting how many people are undure where the 150 yard markers are marking to, or if they are acurate. Same goes for the tee box distances. People see the tee blocks & assume that is where the distance is measured from when infact they need to find an additional coloured marker, usually near the edge of a tee box. For instance I've played with someone before who said to me, hey we've just driven 300 yards & I had to remind him, that the yellow pegs had been moved up onto the ladies box & handn't he seen the red circle at the edge of the tee box, five or so yards infront of where we'd played from.

But of course as pointed out, do we know the yardages are correct, many holes get messed around with, tee boxes moved, or even greens re-laid & sometimes other than where they were, some clubs are too lazy to alter their cards or tee box marker blocks. I've played courses where the yardage is clearly shorter than stated & courses where its certainly a bit longer than stated, though those are rare.

SimonC, do read some of these posts carefully & check other posts by the same people, as they will state when something is an exceptional drive, a wayward drive they've overpowered, which doesn't really count anyway & the actual average driving distance. I've quoted at the begining of my post my average with driver for this season is around 250 - 260 & for your information that is carry distance btw. Add five to ten to this figure & maximum, though often as not my carry & total are within a couple of yards. Last year when my driver swing was just that bit quicker & actually better I was using a driver with way too much loft for me & my carry distance was actually more than my total distance, as the pitch mark was generally five yards infront of where the ball finished, but was my own fault for letting the salesperson sell me an 11.5 degree TM quad, lovely club, but ill fitted to me. Anyway, I digress.

To come back to subject I'm actually not really that interested in peoples drives or ego's about their drives, as I say, somewhere in the thread they will have been truthful about the averages for that. No, I'm more interested in the distances through the complete bag. Pay particular note of the 6 iron, 7 iron & 8 iron distances people quote, as these are going to be where you will find the least ego[/b] as we all play parr 3 holes where we know within give or take five yards what that distance infact is. A good thing to do at least once a season, is visit a parr3 course where there are a good mixture of holes, ranging from say, 80 - 240ish yards each hole, or a nine hole course with a lot of parr3 holes & a few parr4 holes. I'm lucky to have both available to me within 2 - 6 miles of home, on top of some great local full length courses.

You maybe right that most people dont hit 350yds but everyone is capable of it in the same way people who dont like ego usually have a bigger one. Im one who says he can and can! I chose not to as accuracy is non existant when I spank one, but if it goes fairly strait and lands on a firm fairway it will go 300 up to 360 being my max, measured by known course measurements and/or paces.I choose not to spank them very often and my norm is from 250 to 290 depending on conditions and size of fairway allowing more commitment. During one practice on a range where 300 was the edge of the range running into a farmers field I put 6 balls in a row in the field though not in the same place ( ooops is that ego?) lol.Almost everyone is capable its a matter of commitment and effort to get the distance, accuracy is what holds people back from trying,that and personal choice of how they play the game. Hitting a great long drive when needed is just as interesting and important as a great aproach shot or recovery from a bunker, Ive never heard much condemnation or ego comments about Tiger or Daley when they spank a long one.
I myself will advocate that hitting long drives is not always needed to make a good score, and aproach and finish are more important, but when someone is a big hitter and does it frequently well I am the first to congratulate and apreciate it, not condem it as some sort of ego trip. I have played long enough to notice that most golfers who are quick to poo poo anyone who suggests big hitting as some sort of ego trip is usually jelous, plain and simple. if I stated how many fantastic shots Ive taken to the green from difficult places with mid irons would it still be an ego issue? I doubt that would even raise an eyebrow and may even get me some praise.Raving about mid irons is just as ego motivating as any club in the bag is. EVERYONE who plays golf has stories to tell, some are fact and some may be a little dressed up as such, people who look endlessly for reason to doubt or criticise even to the lengths of stories about the movement of a 150 marker amongst other things is just plain envy. So everyone who hits 300+ and inc 350 must've measured it wrong????? Its amazing how people who hit long drives are incapable of accurate measurement in the eyes of some! I hit one at least 320 yesterday(ooops sorry ego again) I am definitely gonna have a go at the club concerned for having a hole indicated as 358 yds and a bunker marked at 30yds short of the green, making me think I had hit 320 or thereabouts when all the time the hole is 300 and I only hit 260 :mad: i once played in a comp with an old boy who only hit 230 max,that day I was hitting well and all this miserable bugger did the whole round was chunter under his breath that long hitting isnt anything to write home about, and even sneered when I went in the rough,and called me lucky when I hit a par 5 in two and he took 3 to get 10yds short of the green, he was just a miserable oldy (there are enough to go round in golf)
he was a high handicapper who saw his chances in the stableford slowly disappear in the wake of someone playing well off a single figure and scoring well to boot. I like this site so far but I dont like the reality of golf attitudes raising the ugly side of the game,critics,insults and egos bigger than mine will ever be are likely to drive me away as I have little time for it and this is my last comment about it!

buchanan17

Visit site
Best ever drive - about 390 yards. 20+ yards through the back of the old 12th at Tavistock (now par5 5th). BUT....

*25 years ago when I was at rugby playing peak strength...
*1.62" ball
*Downwind - so much so that balls were moving on the greens (though Tavistock greens are about the closest cut anywhere, otherwise sheep eat the grass!!)
*And late summer, bone hard ground, ball runs for miles
*Slight dog leg, cut the corner
*Slight draw as well..

And I creamed it! It is nice to do it once in your life. Went straight through the green where the 4 ball in front (in club open competition) were playing. Shem I hit is so well, could have been a 367 yard hole in one.

buchanan17

Visit site
OK, someone wants the 6, 7, 8 iron distances - I agree that these are the easiest to report as they are on par 3s, or from 150 yard markers - all this fairway drives 300 yards etc is quite a bit of tosh!

8 iron - 155 yards
PW - 130 yards

(Wilson "Distance" irons which I think achieve this by cheating a little on club head angles - i.e. the 8 is really a 7.5 etc)

But for the two 170/180yard Par3s at Girton I use a 3/4 struck 21degree hybrid

According to this discussion I should therefore be able to hit 300 yard drives. Virtually never, if at all