My Clubs........ suggestions that dont involve chucking them in the lake

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Although longer than you with a driver my iron lengths are shorter but I have traditional lofts.

My 5 iron replacement is a 29 degree hybrid (Acer but with the shaft of my choice)

I still carry a 4 iron though for very low recovery and in to the wind shots.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I dumped my 4 and 5 irons for the equivalent hybrids. I should have done it years ago. A little bit longer than the irons (my 4H goes approximately 175 and my 5H goes about 160-165) but the dispersion and forgiveness are two pluses as well as being easier to hit out of the semi-rough and giving a higher flight than the irons coming in on a par 3. I think Frag would definitely benefit from dropping the 5 iron for a 5 hybrid

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
In all honesty I would suggest there are few on here who hit a 5 iron a similar distance to a 5 hybrid....
The lofts may be similar but that's about as far as it goes...

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why not dump the 60 and put in a 4H to fill the gap from your 5H to 5 iron although with all due respect are you sure you can get the 5H that far regularly when the 5 iron goes far shorter?
His bag will look like a clump of cauliflower it'll have that many headcovers! Grip the long irons and rip them, you're far too young to be hitting 7 and 9 woods! :D

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In all honesty I would suggest there are few on here who hit a 5 iron a similar distance to a 5 hybrid....
The lofts may be similar but that's about as far as it goes...
I agree my 2H (17 degree) goes considerably further than my 4I (18.5 degree). So much so, that for the time being I have dropped the 3W (15.5 degree) from the bag.

Phil, whether you go the iron / wood / hybrid route will depend on which you are more comfortable with.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why not pop back to orka and look at either a shaft or head change in the 5 and 6 to get them back to expectations.
If you go lighter in the shaft you may get the speed and release improved ... then the bag won’t have too many head covers.
You could also work on filling your gaps by manipulating your swing speed... you have enough distance in the bag to play around Ellesborough. You just have to play it smarter.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Don't flatter yourself. I'm over 50 and I have been on the range today and hit my 5 iron 186, 201, 198 yards. Biggest 9 iron hit 147, and that's with range balls. ;)

Wasn't trying to show off mate... been playing 3 weeks :ROFLMAO: Just trying to get an idea of range for the clubs I'm using. My yardages are also with range balls - srixon ones to be precise.

Could you share your iron ranges, maybe that'd be more helpful to me?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Right I'm new so don't bully me - but I hit a 5 iron 185+ yards.. I'm yet to actually get my handicap - Am I hitting my irons too hard? I'm a pretty fit 26 year old but the differences you get in yardage to me on irons are quite big? My 9 is easy 140? - and this is when it goes straight

Fragger is a LOT older than you :D. As you get older, flexibility can become an issue, which can result in loss of distance. There may be other reasons too, such as the individual swing mechanics, or different lofts on irons between manufacturers. Basically, not everyone hits their iron numbers the same distance, there's carry and roll to consider too, it's more about knowing what distance your clubs do for you, and then hitting them straight. At 56 I can bang a 9 iron 150 on a good day (not many of them now), 140 is norm, or <130 on a bad one, but the distance is useless if I duck hook them, which I do often at the moment :oops::ROFLMAO:.

bradleywedge

Visit site
Wasn't trying to show off mate... been playing 3 weeks :ROFLMAO: Just trying to get an idea of range for the clubs I'm using. My yardages are also with range balls - srixon ones to be precise.

Could you share your iron ranges, maybe that'd be more helpful to me?

Yeah, I know you weren't hence the winky thingy in my post. Really you can guide your distances once you have established a consistent yardage with one club. I used to hit my 7 iron 150, but since I got new irons they go a bit further. You can normally add/subtract 10 yards distance from each iron (approx). So if you hit your 5 iron 185, then your 6 iron should travel 175, 7 iron 165 and so on..

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Fragger is a LOT older than you :D. As you get older, flexibility can become an issue, which can result in loss of distance. There may be other reasons too, such as the individual swing mechanics, or different lofts on irons between manufacturers. Basically, not everyone hits their iron numbers the same distance, there's carry and roll to consider too, it's more about knowing what distance your clubs do for you, and then hitting them straight. At 56 I can bang a 9 iron 150 on a good day (not many of them now), 140 is norm, or <130 on a bad one, but the distance is useless if I duck hook them, which I do often at the moment :oops::ROFLMAO:.

I have it on good authority that Fragger's always been inflexible... :whistle: