Reccomended 2ndhand clubs for a higher handicapper?

RobBS93

Visit site
Hi, newish to golf. been playing about a year.

Looking to get a proper set of clubs 2nd hand.
I'm 6'5 and was fitted for a ping wedge recently which stated im +1 shaft length, 3up lie.

Which clubs would people recommend?
I hit a 5 iron around 220 yards, 7 iron 180 yards, pw 145 yards, 56 degree wedge 100 yards.

I was considering game improvement irons or something like TaylorMade p790.
wondering if anyone as any other suggestions.

thanks

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing is for sure at your height you need to have the correct spec for loft and lie.

You can either try to find clubs to that spec or clubs that can be adjusted ie forged or soft cast.

Your best bet to find clubs that meet the specs are Ping. They use a colour code system for lie you just need to check lie. You can take a static fit on the Ping website but be careful if you go second hand as the colour system change a few years ago.

Look around ebay and search on 'clubs and taller'

Try golf clubsforcash but double check they are quoting the correct specs.

There are sellers on ebay that sell new clubs for the taller person so second hand is not always necessary.

RobBS93

Visit site
One thing is for sure at your height you need to have the correct spec for loft and lie.

You can either try to find clubs to that spec or clubs that can be adjusted ie forged or soft cast.

Your best bet to find clubs that meet the specs are Ping. They use a colour code system for lie you just need to check lie. You can take a static fit on the Ping website but be careful if you go second hand as the colour system change a few years ago.

Look around ebay and search on 'clubs and taller'

Try golf clubsforcash but double check they are quoting the correct specs.

There are sellers on ebay that sell new clubs for the taller person so second hand is not always necessary.

Cheers. The wedge i got fitting for was infact a ping glide 4.0. chose ping specifically because of the ease of custom fitting.
That said, I dont really want to get fit and buy a set of clubs off the shelf as it's a bit out of my price range. I feel like I can get more for my money if I go second hand.
I play with 1 inch longer clubs at the moment which are fine, but the lie angle is too flat. the wedge I hit is fine at 3 up though.

I was looking at Ping G400's, G410's, Taylormade P790.Not really sure what else would suit.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers. The wedge i got fitting for was infact a ping glide 4.0. chose ping specifically because of the ease of custom fitting.
That said, I dont really want to get fit and buy a set of clubs off the shelf as it's a bit out of my price range. I feel like I can get more for my money if I go second hand.
I play with 1 inch longer clubs at the moment which are fine, but the lie angle is too flat. the wedge I hit is fine at 3 up though.

I was looking at Ping G400's, G410's, Taylormade P790.Not really sure what else would suit.
Any of those would do you very nice. Don't over think it.

Once you have the clubs you can always get the loft and lie tweaked to suit. You can certainly do that with Pings.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Can’t go wrong with any of the Ping G irons if you can find them in your spec. They retain their value pretty well too.

D

Deleted member 23270

The Pings should be fine for you, wouldn't suggest the 790's though. Quite forgiving but also smallish heads on them.