Tees Based on Handicap

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Where do the Ladies play from ?
Is it based on Handicap and how do they adjust the length for them?

Each set of tees will see the playing handicap adjusted up or down. The gents can play off the front tees(ladies) if they want.

One of the societies out here does the same thing but with a twist. Several holes requires a massive carry, too difficult for some, and players get the option to use the forward tees on those holes but playing their 2nd shot. It guarantees they get across the valley/lake but will be playing from a bit further back than if they’d played from the, say, yellow tees. It seems to work well.

D-S

Visit site
Each set of tees will see the playing handicap adjusted up or down. The gents can play off the front tees(ladies) if they want.

One of the societies out here does the same thing but with a twist. Several holes requires a massive carry, too difficult for some, and players get the option to use the forward tees on those holes but playing their 2nd shot. It guarantees they get across the valley/lake but will be playing from a bit further back than if they’d played from the, say, yellow tees. It seems to work well.
In the US they also often have combinatio tees where, for similar reasons such as long carries off certain tees, you play certain holes off different tees, e.g. 1,2,3 yellow 4,5 whites then 6,7,8 yellows and so on. The combination is marked or ringed on the tees on the card card and it is also rated for handicap. This works well if the course is just too tough off one set but with a large gap to the next set down or as you say has two or three really tough carries.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Sadly I think we would have to change the colour of our 4 sets of tees to get away from "but women play from the reds!"

We had our red tees rated for men to allow younger juniors to establish their handicap on a shorter course. I thought (wrongly) that our senior would allow some mixed tee competitions using these tees for some of our "Super-Seniors" but it was dismissed by the seniors committee.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sadly I think we would have to change the colour of our 4 sets of tees to get away from "but women play from the reds!"

We had our red tees rated for men to allow younger juniors to establish their handicap on a shorter course. I thought (wrongly) that our senior would allow some mixed tee competitions using these tees for some of our "Super-Seniors" but it was dismissed by the seniors committee.

A powerful argument for not allowing sub-sections to refuse decisions made by the Club Committee.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play with two (older) guys who often complain that they cannot reach the fairways on some holes.
When asked if they would play off the reds they responded with a definite no, that's the male psyche for you.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just got laughed at. The "manliness" ego would take a huge hit if they were seen on the red tees.

We moved from red yellow white to yellow white black

Result? More societies play off the new yellows and enjoy the course more as it's less punishing

However the egos in my group one never wants to play off yellows and people still insist on playing off the blacks

One my pp is part of the handicap committee, managed to convince him that the comps mix it up midweek with some of whites and yellows rather constantly playing off the black tees

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Golfers are clowns. Old guys who hit it 75 yards on the fly stand up on yellow tees and know that they cannot make the 150 yard carry to the fairway yet stand and hold up the whole course hitting balls then write letters wanting the rough cut.

Just play off red tees or the furthest forward tee.

Golfers and ego doesn't mix. Been there done it.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

At last, in the new year, we are going to gender neutral tees. One of the things I've suggested - and I think is being done - is that we abandon any connection to old tee colours and use completely new colours. Else the old associations will still persist.

Alan Clifford

Visit site
At last, in the new year, we are going to gender neutral tees. One of the things I've suggested - and I think is being done - is that we abandon any connection to old tee colours and use completely new colours. Else the old associations will still persist.
Not gender neutral as there are separate ratings for two, random, sections of society. Why not have ratings for old people as well? But you are moving, slowly, inthe right direction

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We moved from red yellow white to yellow white black

Result? More societies play off the new yellows and enjoy the course more as it's less punishing

However the egos in my group one never wants to play off yellows and people still insist on playing off the blacks

One my pp is part of the handicap committee, managed to convince him that the comps mix it up midweek with some of whites and yellows rather constantly playing off the black tees
Our Saturday rollup comprises players of very mixed abilities, and so a wide range of handicaps. To give shorter hitters a better chance of winning a few ££s week-by-week we alternate between front and back tees.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why would shorter hitters have a better chance of winning? Isn't that what Course Rating and Slope are for?
Shorter hitters who can’t get on par fours will benefit from a shorter course.
Normally the slope only changes two shots.

At mine I can’t reach most of the fairway bunkers off the whites.
But off the shorter yellows I can reach them all.
This actually makes the yellows more difficult for me but not for others who can then just hit it over them.
Two shot difference in the slope rating can go in just two bunkers hit.
So I prefer the whites every day.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I would love to play off our Reds and use irons only, I think it would be a really good way for me to practice. Alas, to do so would incur the wrath of both the women and men at the club.

In their infinite wisdom our club didn't get all tees rated for all users so comps couldn't be played off the different tees anyway.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Occasionally our roll up will play a team event which involves using alternate tees - whites, yellows and reds - and therefore playing a third of the round off each tee.

It’s great fun. The ladies who join us love playing the longer course, and playing six holes from the reds certainly makes the fellas think. Nobody cares less that we play from the reds, and there’s certainly no embarrassment amongst our low single figure golfers.

D-S

Visit site
In our roll up, when the weather is dodgy, we sometimes play 'nearest tee', i.e. the nearest tee to the green you have just walked off. This is sometimes the whites, sometimes reds, the odd yellow and some blues. A bit if fun and it ever so slightly speeds the game up.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our course is one few in area A open and B in good condition ATM so today was rammed

A 2 ball of guests had been booked on my Mates booking. Was 5 of us was gonna split 2 and 3 but he went with them and we played as a 4 .. so he could show them the course as they never played

True to form tho offered whites or yellows they said "we normally play yellows" so the removal of red tees does work to trick guests into thinking it's the normal tee

They found it very enjoyable apparently

Golfnut1957

Visit site
It wouldn't make much difference at my club. There is only 209 yards difference between the whites and yellows, that is an average of 11 yards. 13 of the holes have the white and yellow on the same tee box, of the other 5 the biggest difference would be the 12th with about 50 yards between them. This brings that average of 11 yards down a bit.
The biggest difference between the two tees is par and rating. The whites are 71/71, the yellows are 73/69. When we have the choice we always play the whites.
9 of the reds are on the same tee box as the whites. There is just over 700 yards between the whites and the reds which is quite a difference, and although I have never played off them the position of 8 of the red tees, being so far forward, would make a significant positive impact on my score.