Tees Based on Handicap

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I always think it's tricky to pigeon-hole golf by handicap..
Just because you're a 28'er doesn't mean you can't drive it 280, just because you're a 5 doesn't mean you don't drive it 220...
A 28'er might have a dire short game, a 5 might get up and down from 100 yards more often than not...so many variables,es.
I can understand the theory behind it....

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
For several reasons it makes sense to have players using appropriate tees

Courses should probably assign tee selection by how far a player hits a run of the mill drive, unfortunately too many think they hit it 250+ and would still play off the wrong tees, so I guess using Handicap as a range is the next best thing and of course the figure is less open to dispute/error

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lots of times I have been outdriven by high handicappers.
But they are not as good around the green.
How would a comp work where there is significant difference in length.?

Plus that tee has five options.
Not many clubs have that many.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Also its good to give an indication to visitors etc

I’m sure there’s more than a few who cry ‘I always play from the tips at home’ and have a mare trying to do the same elsewhere, maybe in part because ‘home’ is a dinky 6,000 yarder from the ‘tips’ and shorter than the ‘senior’ tees (sic) at the course they're visiting. I see tourists doing it every week ;)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Also its good to give an indication to visitors etc

I’m sure there’s more than a few who cry ‘I always play from the tips at home’ and have a mare trying to do the same elsewhere, maybe in part because ‘home’ is a dinky 6,000 yarder from the ‘tips’ and shorter than the ‘senior’ tees (sic) at the course they're visiting. I see tourists doing it every week ;)
When visiting anywhere we always play the tee closest to our 6400 home course.
Anything longer your not going to enjoy it.
We found that out the hard way.
OCN in Orlando 7400 we couldn’t get on the par fours as it was morning dew.

I do think modern drivers skew the results in yardage where high cappers hit them miles but the rest of their game isn’t as good.
Nobody admits their short just like nobody admits being slow.!

Last edited:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We had a group of guys who were obviously newbies playing last summer in the evening. They went off the red tees and seemed to really enjoy themselves.
They were wearing jeans and tshirts and had funky swings so stuck out a little bit.
Probably a group who decided to give it a go after using the range a bunch of times.
No idea if they ever stuck at it or just enjoyed paying their money and having a go.

I've also seen a group of Italian newbies who caused havoc on the course on day renting two buggies and playing off the yellows. They had never been on a golf course before and were clocked out there at near 7 hours. Had to be seen to be believed. Tbh it didnt look at that fun for them.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I can understand the thinking behind it. In the Algarve recently the starters had a tendency to ask our handicaps and, when told we were all single figures, they allowed us the choose the tees we played from.

But equally, I do agree it is very difficult to pigeon hole golfers in this way. I played an open at Notts GC several years ago and the event was held off the white tees. One of our group was a senior, but played off 8. Several of the fairways were out of reach for him.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Cruden Bay do it. It works out really well, and has the added benefit of more people playing in the comps.

D-S

Visit site
In France they typically have 4 sets of tees, up to 12 whites, 13-24 yellows, 25-36 Blues and 37+ Reds. Makes some sense.
My wife and I played a few courses on the Robert Trent Jones trail in Alabama (amazing experience), there he has ‘future-proofed‘ some of the courses and they are well over 8000 yards, however they have a lot of different tee options. Apparently some try to play off the tips but the 700 yard par 5s with a lot of water to carry to get to the green made me swiftly pick the approx 6500 option.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've made recommendations in the past to my rollup group....practically got me killed. I had the nerve to suggest that we play off the reds just for a change. It changes the way you play almost every hole. I think somebody had a noose.....and murmurs about tar and feathers.......:cry:. I didn't want to die so I didn't push it.

The last time I played regularly on my own I used to pick a different tee every time I played.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's only a guideline, but has plenty of sense attached to it.

As with many things in life, those who don't need the advice with heed it, those who really need the advice will take no blooming notice! :)
Exactly golfers in a nut shell.
We found if it’s to long you get zero birdie chances.
Play a comfortable yardage and you remember your good holes .

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've made recommendations in the past to my rollup group....practically got me killed. I had the nerve to suggest that we play off the reds just for a change. It changes the way you play almost every hole. I think somebody had a noose.....and murmurs about tar and feathers.......:cry:. I didn't want to die so I didn't push it.

The last time I played regularly on my own I used to pick a different tee every time I played.
I bet a lot agreed with you but we’re shouted down by the know alls.