Tee 's

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was playing in a friendly match the other day and coming up the 17th we were up by 1 point.
The chap i was playing against stood on the tee and the line of his drive was not parallel to the tee posts so he moved one of them so that his feet could be parallel with it. Is there any ruling against this, other than it being bad form? He rotated it about 25 degrees. I wasn’t to impressed as I had already hit my drive way left!

DCB

Visit site
Karl,

tee markers are covered under Rule 11
11-2.Tee-Markers
Before a player makes his first stroke with any ball on the teeing ground of the hole being played, the tee-markers are deemed to be fixed. In these circumstances, if the player moves or allows to be moved a teemarker for the purpose of avoiding interference with his stance, the area of his intended swing or his line of play, he incurs the penalty for a breach of Rule 13-2.

Loss of hole in a match or two stroke penalty in strokeplay.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well found DCB.

It's one of my pet hates. We arrived at the 8th yesterday and I noticed the white markers were effectively aimed 40 yards right of the 200 yrd par 3!!

It's annoying standing behind the tee and looks odd if you're side on (maybe watching another player) but it shouldn't affect any sane person's line-up...

I wanted to tidy them up but didn't. In friendlies off yellows, once all four players have tee'd off, I might straighten them out.

If I moved the forward one back a little AFTER my shot, would it be within the rules?? I guess not because I would knowingly have allowed the repositioning?

I wouldn't ever mess with a tee on a comp day...

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had an incident some years back in a comp where a chap stumbled and knocked the tee marker out of place accidentally, now had he replaced it there and then there would have been no problem, but he didnt and had he taken his shot without interfering with that original tee marker spot, again I would not have complained but he proceeded to stand with one foot where the tee marker was and play. So I pointed out at the time that I thought he couldnt do that (I was only young then)and I received a barrage of abuse for my trouble. talking to the pro later and asking what should have happened, he duely got the bloke DQ'd for carding the wrong score.

Even back then without knowing the rule, I rightly assumed that tee markers are there and are meant to stay put and that something is wrong if someone plays in the a/m way. :rolleyes:

DCB

Visit site
The positioning of tee markers seems to be a hit or miss affair at the best of times. If the greenstaff cut the tee and are considerate and carefull they will place the two markers sensibly and at a good ange depending on how the teeing ground ists. If they are in a hurry, the tee markers are just plonked down where-ever they land!

Mind you, it shouldn't make any real difference to us if we place our tee with a bit of thought and then take our stance, properly dictated by the way we want to play the hole.

Ian_Bristol

Head Pro
Visit site
There is not a rule though is there that says you can't play anywhere back from the tee markers as long as you play inside the line, I have played a couple of holes and the angle of the tee markers make it very off putting so tee'd back 2ft,

CrapHacker

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I believe the teeing area is a rectangle the width of the tee markers and two club lengths back.

You can stand outside that area to play your shot, but the ball must be teed up within that area.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Crap hacker that is correct.

I find that sphere shaped tee's interfere less with my subconcious, I cant explain why but I can explain why long shaped ones parallel to you do.

If a Long paralel one is not pointing straight down the fairway where I am aiming, I feel awkward. If it points to the right, it feels like I am standing open and If I would probably try to take the club away on the line paralel to the tee.

If it pointed left, I would feel closed and do the same.

Sphere shaped tee's dont make me do this because there is no line to follow!

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Crap hacker that is correct.

I find that sphere shaped tee's interfere less with my subconcious, I cant explain why but I can explain why long shaped ones parallel to you do.

If a Long paralel one is not pointing straight down the fairway where I am aiming, I feel awkward. If it points to the right, it feels like I am standing open and If I would probably try to take the club away on the line paralel to the tee.

If it pointed left, I would feel closed and do the same.

Sphere shaped tee's dont make me do this because there is no line to follow!

I get the same feeling on my local range. The mats point in a certain direction but if i'm aiming at a target , even if at only a slightly different angle , it can play havoc with my mindset !!!