Technical question on where to hit the ball.

Slaighty

Club Champion
Visit site
Sounds weird but bear with me.
Am I right in thinking its best not to visualise striking the ball directly on the target line? That is, at the 3 o'clock position when looking down on the ball. Is it better to imagine hitting it at say the 4 o'clock position to encourage an inside path? I find it hard to do this on the course as it feels as if the ball will go way right. I,ve managed it at the range and produced a nice little draw shot. How can I get over this mental block on the course?

Ham

Medal Winner
Visit site
Just had a lesson a few days ago, I was swinging out to in and the pro told me to focus on the back part of the ball nearest to me and feel like you are hitting it as if you are pushing it to the right which should encourage an inside path as well as starting the downswing by feeling like you are pulling down the butt of the club.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seems to much to worry about. I'm already focussing on keeping my legs quiet, making a full shoulder turn, not hitting over the top, keeping the hands from becoming over active and extending through impact. Not sure my tiny brain can cope with anything else like where to hit it. Its all I can do to make it go vaguely straight without trying to move it in the air too.

Interesting point though and I have no doubt I'll be tring it at my next range session. I shall report back my findings!

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Made me grin, but surely the answer to your question is "down the middle of the fairway"?

I try not to get burdened with thoughts on the course and play by instinct with the aim of repeating what I have honed on the range. Homer - have you got room for any more analysis in your life? :p

ColinR

Head Pro
Visit site
Your analysis is exactly right. My son had a lesson and was told that he is coming over the top of the ball and needs to visualise hitting the ball at 4 o'clock to overcome it.

Since then I also try and focus on a dimple at about that position. But as Homer says with so many things to think about it is a wonder we dont go nuts. As long as I keep hearing the voices in my head, I'll be fine.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
My pro is trying to get me to do the same - in an ar*e about face version of you. ie not so much where I'm hitting it but where I'm trying to send it. "Swing as if you are trying to hit it into the fence" is his constant exhortation (ie about 10 o' clock, which equates to you trying to hit it in the 4 o' clock position)

In practice, if square is 9 o' clock, I have a ball positioned at 10 and try to swing the club over it. It, of course, goes nowhere near but gets you the in to out to in path needed. If it works, and I get the correct wrist roll, a beautiful draw results. If no wrist, then it results in a straight push. For now, if I can limit the "bad" shots to being the push, then I can live with it.

Out on the course, I just keep muttering "push the b*gger out, push the bu*ger out". And after the shot, mutter, "should have pushed the bug*er out".

Ho hum

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
slaighty, you a lefty? the 3 o'clock was a bit confusing.

I heard or read (probably on here) that you should not visualise the flight but the landing - how it gets there is immaterial just that it does.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Backwoodsman

Hope the lady members don't get the wrong idea :eek:

Homer, With no disrespect intended to the ladies of the forum, I have no lady friends daft enough to play our fine sport or to partner me. So no worries there. The gents I play with are quite content if a spot of mild muttering is all I do :)

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I guess if you want to encourage a new swing path then trying to hit the ball at 4 o'clock makes total sense.
Personally, if I'm trying to do this (in practice) then I'll lay down a shaft outside the line of the ball equivalent to a line through the ball from 4 o'clock to 10 o'clock.
Either way, I wouldn't try it on the course. Sometime I think...."just push it, Dave", normally results in a push or hook!!

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You know,I have never thought about this.

I try to keep my hands out of the swing,concentrate on moving the big muscles properly and coordinating my arm swing with them. If I have done this properly then I trust my grip to deliver the club into the ball.

If I want to move it either way I adjust my stance depending on the shape I want.

No wonder I am a bit rubbish!

Going to hit a few this afternoon and will give it a go to see what happens.