Taylormade TP5

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
**** me, people post some she height on here.

Try them, or don't. It's up to you. I'm really not fussed either way. It's only a game!
So you create a topic to discuss a golf ball, then come back berate people for discussing golf balls. Makes sense. :mmm:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So you create a topic to discuss a golf ball, then come back berate people for discussing golf balls. Makes sense. :mmm:

but if you post on a tread about a new ball, that you;

have no intention of playing
don't have the skill to get the best out of so won't try it
can't afford or want to pay the price

why bother to post ??

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
**** me, people post some she height on here.

Try them, or don't. It's up to you. I'm really not fussed either way. It's only a game!

i agree. some of the threads that have been going on recently :

should i play or shouldn't i?
what club should i use for a par 3
how should i play against a high handicaper.
shall i play tomorrow because its raining?!!!!

these are just a few. do people need their hand holding in all aspects of their life. get on with it. this forum is turning into a social network page rather than an informative forum. i really don't care if you won your weekly medal or wife went into labour whilst you was on the back 9. I'd check into fb if i wanted that

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

but if you post on a tread about a new ball, that you;

have no intention of playing
don't have the skill to get the best out of so won't try it
can't afford or want to pay the price

why bother to post ??
You're not being serious.. are you? He's made a topic about an expensive ball and you don't expect us to comment weighing up the relative merits of an expensive ball? What do you expect the replies to be then? Everyone just say "Thank you for you opinion of this ball"? Would be the dullest forum on earth!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You're not being serious.. are you? He's made a topic about an expensive ball and you don't expect us to comment weighing up the relative merits of an expensive ball? What do you expect the replies to be then? Everyone just say "Thank you for you opinion of this ball"? Would be the dullest forum on earth!

why bother commenting if you haven't tried the ball or have no intention of trying it?

its not the law that you have to comment on every tread.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's a discussion board mate. If I have an opinion on something I will post it. Sling your hook.

how is that discussing it?

you just stated you wouldn't pay that for them and couldn't see any benefit in a prem ball?

Plenty of people will, now get on with your home work:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
how is that discussing it?

you just stated you wouldn't pay that for them and couldn't see any benefit in a prem ball?

Plenty of people will, now get on with your home work:rofl::rofl::rofl:
The discussion moved on in the intervening 5 pages. I only added my agreement to someone else's post in the first instance as it was. He said the benefit of higher handicappers using a premium ball just wasn't there and I agreed. Now jog on.

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Firstly - OP was about TM golf balls and we've had discussions on balls good or bad, whether high handicappers can tell the difference, cheap beer, costs of balls, donor meats, and now it seems like the person that first posted is having a meltdown / dummy out of the pram moment on the range of discussions points! A standard and very enjoyable GM Forum discussion I fell! But is this the first time he has posted? Does he not understand the variety of abstract conversations that can be had on this Forum?

Secondly, in reply to the original post, why would you not play the best balls or get the balls that suited your game? It has been proven - somewhere I'm sure - that the best equipment can help you get the best results from your game. If not, we'd all be playing with the cheapest irons, balls (Dunlop?), putters and woods we could get our hands on wouldn't we? Technology is across the whole game now from shoes (really?) to the balls and clubs. I'm all up for getting a few extra yards, stability or stopping power!

Thirdly, from someone with a fairly decent swing, but not the game to go with it, I do feel the difference when I connect with a premium ball to a cheaper brand. I just can't keep one for the whole F****** round! Not matter how good the ball, the club, or your swing, if you duck hook a premium ball or a £0.50p ball, its going to get lost! But I do like a certain feel when I strike the ball and I can only get that from the highest priced range.

Fourthly (is that a word?) If you want the best, you have to pay for it. Callaway or TM are not going to launch their new driver in the Ben Ross price range so why should Titleist or TM when it comes to their balls? Personally I like the TM and Pro Vs and would go for them over a Callaway, Velocity etc. I just cant afford or justify a new box every three months!

I LOVE THE GM FORUM!!!!! :clap:

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Firstly - OP was about TM golf balls and we've had discussions on balls good or bad, whether high handicappers can tell the difference, cheap beer, costs of balls, donor meats, and now it seems like the person that first posted is having a meltdown / dummy out of the pram moment on the range of discussions points! A standard and very enjoyable GM Forum discussion I fell! But is this the first time he has posted? Does he not understand the variety of abstract conversations that can be had on this Forum?

I LOVE THE GM FORUM!!!!! :clap:

Not quite a meltdown, hopefully!

The topic is quite specific, the OP relates my experience in relation to the topic. Experience, not opinion.

Then we meander into a load of old tosh with people trotting about on their high horses, throwing in generic opinions and, even better, the old "I wouldnt pay for...." nonsense.

I am getting little bored of the mums.net cr@p, chimps adding 2 + 2 and gettng 22 and so on unfortunately.

You're right though, there's some truly great sruff happens through this forum. That will continue despite all the nonsense and long may it :thup:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I don't buy into all this.

So some of you have had a decent round or 2 whilst using a different ball, what happens when that round turns into a hundred blows, do you change balls again?

I accept there are a couple of marble like balls and a few soggy soft plums out there, but other than that the average handicap golfer shouldn't really play any ball that differently or notice a huge difference, otherwise they'd all be improving massively and be off low single figures, which I'm not seeing!

If they are driving it longer or spinning it dead on the greens, then what are they doing off 10,14,16,18 or god forbid even higher and recommending a ball!!

The average double figure handicap golfer can't make 10 similar swings & strikes on a ball one after the other so how can they review a ball that's becomes a game changer when there hacking it to death with 80-90 blows or more a round?

The only area I like to feel a difference with a ball is off the putter, otherwise, when I lose a ball I can finish the round with a provisional Dunlop, Pinnacle, TopFlite or anything I've picked up and it won't make much or any difference to how I play it.

In the main, other than for the more accomplished single figure golfers, it's a mental confidence placebo thing the manufacturing companies exploit into us.

#JustSaying 😜

I already said that I don't know if swapping from the AD333 tur to a premium ball is a placebo for my game but I did find the ball longer than I expected from previous tour type balls and it did stop well. Of course any well struck ball, premium or not will spin so you may be right. It's all down to personal choice though and while I'd struggle to pick the different premium balls in a blind test, I think I could tell the difference between these and a mid range ball (AD333, NXT etc) that do feel distinctly clickier and firmer

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I agree with most of the fishy's post, biggest feel change is in putting. I use a Titleist Velocity sometimes in bounce games and it performs equally as good off the tee as some more expensive Titleist balls but it's comes off the putter rapid