Taylormade TP5

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I've been using the TPx last year and they were mint, could get a dozen for £29.00 but I'm a little disturbed to pay £40+ for this years version, not like I'm playing for money... I may be swerved if the price reduces and/or i'm convinced there worth it, so i'll buy a sleeve to try after I've tried a freebie I got a sleeve of Chrome Softs to try this weekend as I've heard some good things about them.

The ChromeSoft is a very good ball in my humble opinion, easily competes with ProV, Bridgestone 330, TM Project(a) and Wilson DX3 Urethane. I'd like to give the TP5 a try but not at that price, rarely buy ProV unless they have some sort of offer, find more than enough pick ups to keep me going there. If I'm paying out hard earned readies, hard pushed to spend more than £25 - £30 on a box of balls.

Kraxx68

Head Pro
Visit site
The ChromeSoft is a very good ball in my humble opinion, easily competes with ProV, Bridgestone 330, TM Project(a) and Wilson DX3 Urethane. I'd like to give the TP5 a try but not at that price, rarely buy ProV unless they have some sort of offer, find more than enough pick ups to keep me going there. If I'm paying out hard earned readies, hard pushed to spend more than £25 - £30 on a box of balls.

So having spent 4 hrs hitting the chrome soft, I have now changed to them, until the TPs range come down to the same price!! really enjoyed this ball around the greens and putted extremely well with them. Was windy, so really could not tell if they went longer or not, but I'm really glad I tried them and looking forward to using them throughout the summer. :clap:

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
was handed a sleeve today when I played The Shire. Marked one on the first tee and managed three hits before it went awol, so I'm not best to review the pro's and cons

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Played with the TP5x yesterday, can't say I noticed any difference to last years model. Decent enough ball which didn't overly scuff or mark particularly on bunker shots where I've felt other premium balls have done in the past although all are getting better.

Wouldn't pay £40 a dozen for any balls though

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Personally prefer them over pro v1x in windy conditions other than that similar for me. Shiny and new tho so may swop but £42 a dozen puts me off

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Tried the TP5x and really liked it. I'm not using a premium ball at the moment and find the AD333 tour adequate but when the greens firm up and I go back to a softer top end ball (whether that helps or is just a placebo for my game is another thread) it'll be the TM I turn to as I still have two sleeves to use. I found it a fraction longer off the tee, it did stop really well and I liked the feel off the putter. That all said, I wouldn't pay full price. The cost of top end balls is ludicrous and I'm fortunate to have a decent stock to fall back on

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've always hated TM balls and i literally cannot stand last years ball. However, i've been really impressed with this years version and its been in play the last few rounds.

Still not a patch the B330 Tour though

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I don't buy into all this.

So some of you have had a decent round or 2 whilst using a different ball, what happens when that round turns into a hundred blows, do you change balls again?

I accept there are a couple of marble like balls and a few soggy soft plums out there, but other than that the average handicap golfer shouldn't really play any ball that differently or notice a huge difference, otherwise they'd all be improving massively and be off low single figures, which I'm not seeing!

If they are driving it longer or spinning it dead on the greens, then what are they doing off 10,14,16,18 or god forbid even higher and recommending a ball!!

The average double figure handicap golfer can't make 10 similar swings & strikes on a ball one after the other so how can they review a ball that's becomes a game changer when there hacking it to death with 80-90 blows or more a round?

The only area I like to feel a difference with a ball is off the putter, otherwise, when I lose a ball I can finish the round with a provisional Dunlop, Pinnacle, TopFlite or anything I've picked up and it won't make much or any difference to how I play it.

In the main, other than for the more accomplished single figure golfers, it's a mental confidence placebo thing the manufacturing companies exploit into us.

#JustSaying 😜

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

So some of you have had a decent round or 2 whilst using a different ball, what happens when that round turns into a hundred blows, do you change balls again?

I accept there are a couple of marble like balls and a few soggy soft plums out there, but other than that the average handicap golfer shouldn't really play any ball that differently or notice a huge difference, otherwise they'd all be improving massively and be off low single figures, which I'm not seeing!

If they are driving it longer or spinning it dead on the greens, then what are they doing off 10,14,16,18 or god forbid even higher and recommending a ball!!

The average double figure handicap golfer can't make 10 similar swings & strikes on a ball one after the other so how can they review a ball that's becomes a game changer when there hacking it to death with 80-90 blows or more a round?

The only area I like to feel a difference with a ball is off the putter, otherwise, when I lose a ball I can finish the round with a provisional Dunlop, Pinnacle, TopFlite or anything I've picked up and it won't make much or any difference to how I play it.

In the main, other than for the more accomplished single figure golfers, it's a mental confidence placebo thing the manufacturing companies exploit into us.

#JustSaying 😜

And that's just exactly how I see it.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk

#JustSaying 
Spoilsport!
You're right of course but golf is a mental game and people have to play with what is comfortable for them.
I never pay full whack for golf balls. My two dozen Hex Chrome cost me £25. I've played God knows how many Pro V1's and never bought a single one. But it's like clubs. How much difference is there really? It's all down to what you enjoy playing with.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

#JustSaying 
I agree with this. It will be a long, long time before I ever spend £40+ on a pack of 12 balls, that's for sure. I've been relying on some Callaway Warbird balls for comp rounds this year, plus some ancient Topflites my dad found in his garage for friendly rounds. When I have to buy a set I think I'm going to try Srixon AD333s or Wilson DX2 - something decent in the more respectable price range anyway.

God knows what sort of level you'd have to be at to tell the difference between a £40 box of balls and a £15 box of balls.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

#JustSaying 😜

I agree with some of this, based on the quality of my golf swing - can play 4 over gross on one day and shoot 26 points the next, but I don't think any of that is down to the ball. When it comes to playing a ball though, different balls absolutely do feel different to play. Whilst your Topflite and Pinnacle type balls will still fly pretty well off the driver, they're horrible to hit with irons, and putters, at least in my experience. I don't play a specific ball, but I do have a preferred selection that I like to play, tending to reject others unless I'm in dire need. I've chosen those balls through playing with them, not through marketing. That's not to say that I don't have phases where I stick with a particular ball, but that's usually because I've bought a batch of one of my preferred options on sale. There are too many variables in the way we each play and feel to suggest that we're not capable to have a preference, or recommend a ball, after all, it is only an opinion based on our own individual experiences.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not only the mid/high handicapper not seeing the difference factor - but in the other topic you've got guys saying a new ProV only lasts one round or less before it's all scuffed to hell. How can it ever be worth the cost for us, really?? Admittedly it will scuff more for those who hit it consistently well, but still.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
**** me, people post some she height on here.

Try them, or don't. It's up to you. I'm really not fussed either way. It's only a game!

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
How someone can not feel the difference between a top flight and a premium ball I do not know, they must be pretty she height.

Find a ball in your price range and stick to it. I cringe at playing partners who have an array of different brands of balls they use.

You dont see pros pros using different brands of balls between rounds. You don't see cat 1 players doing it. Don't do it yourself, or you will carry on being a high handicapper.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Baldrick found one last week and he liked it so much he chewed the bugger out of it, so they must be lovely and soft.

Id like to try them as TM do make descent balls. Loved the TP Black, Lethal and the latest Tour Preferred.

will just have to wait till he finds another for me to try it.