TaylorMade r7 Draw Irons

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Guys, it will be a while before I am in a position to change my irons and when I do it will be a custom fit jobby.

But if I was to do so now I would as to start with the TM r7 irons and work from there.

£500 in AG, but just had a leaflet drop through the door saying they have 45% off.

That makes me wonder what is wrong with them, are they just being replaced by a newer model or are they just not selling?

Anyone have/used them?

r7 Draw

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
TaylorMade have got lots of new Irons coming through.

Same as most of the manufactures do. Its not that there is anything wrong with the current r7 irons, its that they want us all to part with more money for the newest model.

Personally my opionion is that when a set is about to be phased out, that its then to buy, though making sure that you get all the bits you are going to need, i.e. a gap wedge for the set & maybe an additional Sand wedge, as this is the first club in most bags to wear out the face on.

One new set to have come out that in the press photo's I hated the look of but when I saw them & handled them in the golf shops was the burner irons. They might also be worth a look, if you are at all worried.

As for buying draw variants of clubs, I've never been a big fan of that, especially after trying out an R7Driver with movable weights last year. Tried all the variations over the following weeks & although some differace could be spotted, ironically & maybe interestingly the worst offending setting for a sliced fade was the draw setting.

In what I mean is that although for a few swings you will get draw, after a while the thing wough jump up & bite you big style with the biggest slice you've ever seen. The same could be said for flight path heights

So that drive was set back to neutral, as the compensations in the club were playing havock with my swing.

All a draw driver is doing is addiing a mechanical compensation into your swing, & anyone who has ever visited a golf pro will know that they hate compensations in a swing. (Soapbox moment over), al I was saying is that unless you really insist on wanting a draw bias, buy the standard & work on the swing insted.

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Cheers, this is appreciated.

As I said, when it comes to changing my irons (some point this year hopefully) I will be getting a custom fit.

These would have probably been my starting point and see where we go from there.

A friends has the Burner driver, hit it once and loved it. But I am well aware one hit isn't enough to convince!

I'm just pleased to see the ones I picked aren't being reduced because they're awful!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've got the standard R7 irons but the AG where I went to the demo day yesterday had the R7 draw at £249 and even the TM rep couldn't beleive the price.

TM are pushing the Burner as the new version of the R7 and they have a better player blade in development for next year at the moment.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Drop the word "draw" and get down to your local store with some grubby fivers!

I've tried a few offset/draw models over the years...on a driver.....yeh, OK, but on a set of irons.....could be either the best decision of your life (if you don't aspire to having a great swing) or a terrible choice once you get your swing on path. Stick with neutrals (with a tad offset, if you like) for the full fat truth about your swing!!!!

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but following REALGOLFERUK's post, i'd really love to play with a set of blades, of the old type to see how I'd get on & if I could improve my swing further, by having the feedback in its purest form. As its all these OAP's that grew up with the old bladed clubs who still have single figure handicaps & rarely above a 12 even well into their 80's