TaylorMade Driver Warranty Issues

rystaman

Visit site
Evening all,

I’m having an issue with TaylorMade warranty and wanted to see if anyone else has had similar problems. I’ve always been a TaylorMade fan, but this situation has really put me off considering any future purchases due to their woeful aftersales support.

I bought a SIM 2 MAX from Scottsdale Golf about 18 months ago but have barely used it (maybe 100 shots max) as my home course is tight and short, so I usually rely on my 3W. During one of the rare times I used the driver, I hit a shot, heard a crack, and saw that the shaft had cracked about 7 inches from the hosel.

I sent the driver back through Scottsdale Golf, but after months of emails (since June), TaylorMade refused to cover the repair under warranty. They claimed the breakage was due to "user error" because the damage occurred more than 4 inches from the head or grip. They’ve offered a small discount on a re-shaft, but I’m frustrated at being blamed for something I know wasn’t my fault and for TaylorMade not repairing the club whilst it's under warranty.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with TaylorMade or any other brand? Would you push further, or is the discounted repair a reasonable offer at this point?

Appreciate any advice!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My opinion.....the shaft has cracked, not the head so I would take the reshaft at discounted price.
The shafts are carbon fibre, and are strongest in one direction really. The shaft may have been banged inadvertantly at any time during those 18 months which may have caused a weak spot, or you may have done a "Rory".
As I said, my opinion is take the discounted reshaft.

rystaman

Visit site
My opinion.....the shaft has cracked, not the head so I would take the reshaft at discounted price.
The shafts are carbon fibre, and are strongest in one direction really. The shaft may have been banged inadvertantly at any time during those 18 months which may have caused a weak spot, or you may have done a "Rory".
As I said, my opinion is take the discounted reshaft.
True, I think it's the suggestion of a Rory that's pissed me off a bit. It's only the 2nd time I've had a shaft fail on me, the previous was with a Cobra F9 3W in which they replaced the club no questions as it was in the warranty period still.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yeah when they say user error they mean something happened to it while not in their care and also not a fault in manufacture. They don't mean you did something deliberately and withheld that info from them

As post #2 says it doesn't take much of a knock/bang against something to cause a weakness that can result in a failure down the line (next hit or a dozen hits later)

Discounted repair seems a decent compromise between the two perspectives

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In my opinion, they have to replace as I don’t see how they can prove it is not due to a manufacturing defect. Very disappointing to say the least. Write to them and advise that you would have to take this to the small claims court.

rystaman

Visit site
Interesting. Surely the OP can direct Scotsdale to their website as the contract is still with them. It would be down to them to rectify in some manner and then take it up with TM
They do indeed. So the initial conversation was between Scottsdale and TM, TM refused saying it was out of scope for warranty and so I tried to pursue with TM directly and ended up just getting the same answers even escalating.

Scottsdale have said that "There is nothing we are able to offer ourselves as the warranty does lie with TaylorMade, we will only be able to sort this repair out for you with them."

Which I do find a bit poor from Scottsdale that they're not taking it on to sort and it's been left to try and pursue from my side after TaylorMade said no.

rystaman

Visit site
In my opinion, they have to replace as I don’t see how they can prove it is not due to a manufacturing defect. Very disappointing to say the least. Write to them and advise that you would have to take this to the small claims court.
This is what my thought process was, calling out the Ombudsman to both TaylorMade and Scottsdale did bugger all. My points were 'acknowledged' but stance remained the same.

I'm literally torn right now between buying a new set of 2024 P770s or a T150/T200 combo set and this is just making me lean to Titleist

Morfeen75

Visit site
They do indeed. So the initial conversation was between Scottsdale and TM, TM refused saying it was out of scope for warranty and so I tried to pursue with TM directly and ended up just getting the same answers even escalating.

Scottsdale have said that "There is nothing we are able to offer ourselves as the warranty does lie with TaylorMade, we will only be able to sort this repair out for you with them."

Which I do find a bit poor from Scottsdale that they're not taking it on to sort and it's been left to try and pursue from my side after TaylorMade said no.
Scottsdale golf would be on my blacklist of companies too.

Morfeen75

Visit site
This is what my thought process was, calling out the Ombudsman to both TaylorMade and Scottsdale did bugger all. My points were 'acknowledged' but stance remained the same.

I'm literally torn right now between buying a new set of 2024 P770s or a T150/T200 combo set and this is just making me lean to Titleist
Buy a set of Kirklands, theyre exactly the same irons as the the P790's at a fraction of the cost.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
The 1st year of the warranty was with the retailer, the 2nd year is offered by TM
Other than volunteering to act as a conduit, the retailer has no part to play in any extended warranty period that may be offered by the manufacture

TM have looked at it and unfortunately for OP, they can't find a fault in the unit. You could I suppose have an independent analysis done at your own cost to see if you get a different result (but that result is not a certainty to be accepted or even in your favour)

Based on TM findings that they didn't do anything wrong or supply a faulty item, they didn't have to offer any discount on a replacement shaft but I guess to show goodwill to your predicament they've offered a discount so both you and they would incur a cost to fixing the club (they might actually feel that their generosity has been thrown back at them)

Sure its nice when a retailer/manufacture goes way above their responsibilities and accepts the whole cost/loss, but they shouldn't be slagged off for going above their responsibility... but apparently not far enough

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
From what the OP has said, Scottsdale and TM have both been involved, said it is not a warranty issue but have offered a discounted replacement shaft. People should realise that the customer isn't always right and the issue should be closed.
Also, we only have one side of the story here and the OP may be 'mistaken' about how often the club has been used, how it has been treated etc so for people to immediately jump on the bandwagon and call for boycotts of Scottsdale and TM is a bit of a kneejerk reaction (imo)