Swing Question - Slow Mo' Video included

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
When I say without, I mean a fairly low lag swing, I wasnt being facetious :)

There are lots of golfers with crap swings, even down as low as 5 h/cap, but beyond that is tricky because their swings aren't good enough to consistently return low scores.

Contrary to Bobs reply I'd suggest the more lag you have the LESS you rely on timing (as you don't need to time the flip) but only to an extent of having waaay too much lag whereby you struggle simply to get the ball airborne but agree with "So it's a balance of as much lag as you can control repeatedly".

Adey... how the hell did you get to 2.8? can you BUY h/caps in America? ;)

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
There are lots of golfers with crap swings, even down as low as 5 h/cap, but beyond that is tricky because their swings aren't good enough to consistently return low scores.

Contrary to Bobs reply I'd suggest the more lag you have the LESS you rely on timing (as you don't need to time the flip) but only to an extent of having waaay too much lag whereby you struggle simply to get the ball airborne but agree with "So it's a balance of as much lag as you can control repeatedly".

Adey... how the hell did you get to 2.8? can you BUY h/caps in America? ;)

Nicer weather, a new swing that was in the process of bedding in just before leaving the UK that is working a treat and a driver that I can't help but hit long and straight (that's put the curse on it now).

What Gareth has wrong looks like what I had wrong before starting my lessons last year. I was told I was throwing the clubhead and got shown replays of my swing to show how I was throwing the club from the top and when I got it right I would rip my hands through and generate power that way. Flip side was I relied too much on near perfect timing so when my swing was off it could be a horror show.

What I was told is to imagine a long needle coming out of the butt of the club and you are trying to stab the ball with it. Thinking like that from the top of the swing has stopped me from throwing the clubhead and now I drive my hands down and that has created what you and Bob are referring to as 'lag'.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
What I was told is to imagine a long needle coming out of the butt of the club and you are trying to stab the ball with it.
Would you believe that this line quoted fixed my shanks around 6 months ago? My half shots are now PG rated, for over 3 years they were "18" horror clips.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would you believe that this line quoted fixed my shanks around 6 months ago? My half shots are now PG rated, for over 3 years they were "18" horror clips.

I find golf so much easier to learn when it is described to me like this. I can see the needle stabbing the ball, so it is easier to let my body figure out how to move to hit the ball, rather than a text book walking me through it step by step.