Swing Question - Slow Mo' Video included

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Its too staid G, you need arms flailing with much more lag and make ooosh noises on the through swing :D.

Seriously though, you dont have much lag there, more of an arms movement rather than allowing the wrists to uncock later on the downswing. My swing has many flaws but does have a little lag.

2015-04-05%2022.22.50.png.jpeg

I await the shooting down from real experts.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Its too staid G, you need arms flailing with much more lag and make ooosh noises on the through swing :D.

Seriously though, you dont have much lag there, more of an arms movement rather than allowing the wrists to uncock later on the downswing. My swing has many flaws but does have a little lag.

Probably true pal but I'm happy to groove what I have and make changes over the winter of season.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

That could be the worst condition tee box I've ever seen!!!! :eek:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Probably true pal but I'm happy to groove what I have and make changes over the winter of season.

You could try 'the pump drill' throughout the season though. Not something that will significantly disturb the rest of the swing, but is a great way to improve lag!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
When you increase Lag you also increase the angle of attack, the speed of the swing and the swing path...3 of the 5 laws in golf so it does have a major affect on the game.

When golfers try and increase their lag they invariably do it by hitting down on the ball which tends to throw the club to the outside in the transition...........exactly what Gareth is trying to get away from.
My advice, if asked, would be to leave the lag alone and stick with concentrating on the swing path.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Looks fine to me Gareth. Lag is overrated anyway.

Where is that brendy?

7th glashedy a few weeks ago, new complex built round the back of the green finished and looking well but were doing a little work on teebox so had us on one temp teebox. love going up there, weather has always been great too.

Anyway, on topic, is it possible to have a powerful repeatable swing without lag Bob? ( serious question)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The more lag you have the more you need to rely on timing and strength.
So it's a balance of as much lag as you can control repeatedly.
That's why the shorter hitters are normally on the fairway.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
The more lag you have the more you need to rely on timing and strength.
So it's a balance of as much lag as you can control repeatedly.
That's why the shorter hitters are normally on the fairway.

So it's a balancing act between your body strength and timing?

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am not one to comment on peoples swings because I am happy to admit to not really too much about them. I am from the grip it and rip crew where I grab a club, clear my mind and just hit it without thinking too much about what is going on. But after this talk of lag it got me thinking, so I pulled up a vid and took a snap of the downswing. Just a question, is this what you mean when you talk about creating lag in the downswing?

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That's spot on Adey, that's why you hit it so far.
You've maintained the angle between your left arm and shaft for well into the downswing.
A shorter hitter would be on the red line at that stage

BFDA0882-4D41-4DE8-8401-A5C7E7F3CAD4_zps5kfzdjup.jpg

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's spot on Adey, that's why you hit it so far.
You've maintained the angle between your left arm and shaft for well into the downswing.
A shorter hitter would be on the red line at that stage

View attachment 14816

Cheers Bob, I was just wondering when people started talking hitting it further with more lag. So I had a look at my swing, I would show you the complete video but I'm afraid of the abuse I would get for the backswing.....;)