Swing Opinions

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Posting a quick vid of 3 hits with a 5 iron. As a newbie, (very) high handicapper and someone who is taking lessons:

- My common bad shot is a push straight right
- The pro is saying my issues start at the top of the backswing where I'm coming down too steep, and I'm not 'wrapping around' enough (he's trying to get me to visualise the arc of a tennis forehand)

Just posting to see if there's any further words of wisdom from this forum? I'm loving the game but my god it's hard! Any help much appreciated.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 23270

Have you noticed that your alignment changes with each shot? Look at how close your heels are to the sticks on the 1st shot then the 3rd.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

You dont do the fault he talks about in the video but the drill should improve your shoulder turn and chest turn in the backswing.

Its something you can work on at home to really dial in the feeling before you even get back to the range.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Have you noticed that your alignment changes with each shot? Look at how close your heels are to the sticks on the 1st shot then the 3rd.

You're right...I think from shot 1 > 2 the ball position on the mat also moves broadly inline with feet, but there's a big move from shot 2 > 3.

Most people put the sticks in front of their toes, where they can see them.

Thank you. I'd just moved the sticks out of the way (they were in front of my feet) but can appreciate it doesn't look like that in the video

I'd like to see the swing from face on.

I'll try and get some footage in the next couple of days, thank you

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your swing looks pretty good. Your pushes are probably a result of the way you release the club, you may be gripping on to it and leaving the clubface slightly open. If you could get onto a flight scope or similar it would show where you need to make changes. Anyhow, well done so far.