Swindles, Roll ups & tee times

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Our place is 8-10am roll up. Bookable after that. There's a few tee times available early doors that are bookable. Seems to work well. Handy if you don't have a game and can just roll up.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We have just started a BRS system and some of our sweeps/roll ups have block booked midweek tee times for say 5 or 6 tee times.
Looking good so far , midweek you can still turn up on spec, but pre booked have priority, or you could just ask to join them.
Also handy to see how busy the tee and course will be.

D

Deleted member 15717

We operate fully on tee times, with the exception of until 9am very day except Saturday where we have a ‘ball chute’. Effectively, when your group is there, you put the right number of balls for groups in your swindle, and then as you tee off, you take one ball out. It works well.

On Saturdays, the chute runs until 10am, where the ladies then have a certain amount of tee slots and then the booking system takes over. Easy peasy

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My view.....stay as you are and don't change. Tee times are too restrictive.

I agree

We check in for our roll up as we arrive. The book is closed at 10:15am - we go off from 10:30am, At 10:15am the format is decided. Normally fourballs, but if say 27 signed in we'll do a 2 from 3 Am-Am.

And we then do a playing card random draw for the order of the groups and who plays together. No favours - no 'I want to play with my mate'. You can ask to be in an early group with a very good personal reason - and will be accommodated (if the roll-up agrees :) ). But folks don;t abuse that. We are all mates. We accept being drawn 1st or last. That is how it goes.

If a group not in the roll-up want to tee off between 10:30am and 11:15am - they just get themselves onto the tee and put a ball in the chute, simple.

The Roll-up has no issues with a group going off at 10:30am if they are on the tee and our first group isn't; or if they are on the tee before any subsequent group is ready to play.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The swindle I belong to has roughly 32 guys. Sometimes 20, some times 40. We have space for 36, if there are more, they have to sort themselves out.
The first tee is open play at weekends. Our swindle goes off 10, 12, and 14, from 8.00. 3 tee times from each. The first tee closes at 9.30 to allow us all to come through. This maximises course usage at a busy time.
It also gets the biggest in numbers, and biggest money spending swindle in to the bar at near enough the same time.
Guys who are outside the 36 can chip in to the pot, and play in the swindle, but have to queue up off the first.

This was thought up by the GM, as when we all went off the first, you could turn up at 7.30, and get out at 10.00. It works very well.

How is the order of groups decided?

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree

We check in for our roll up as we arrive. The book is closed at 10:15am - we go off from 10:30am, At 10:15am the format is decided. Normally fourballs, but if say 27 signed in we'll do a 2 from 3 Am-Am.

And we then do a playing card random draw for the order of the groups and who plays together. No favours - no 'I want to play with my mate'. You can ask to be in an early group with a very good personal reason - and will be accommodated (if the roll-up agrees :) ). But folks don;t abuse that. We are all mates. We accept being drawn 1st or last. That is how it goes.

If a group not in the roll-up want to tee off between 10:30am and 11:15am - they just get themselves onto the tee and put a ball in the chute, simple.

The Roll-up has no issues with a group going off at 10:30am if they are on the tee and our first group isn't; or if they are on the tee before any subsequent group is ready to play.

Apart from the fact that we go out earlier, this is pretty much us. Random draw, no "playing with mates" (except we're all mates anyway), newbies, and random arrivals all welcome.

It's this format that we are trying to preserve after the introduction of tee times. Conversation with the club manager suggests it can be accommodated - although we have to bear in mind that we are not the only members in the club.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Apart from the fact that we go out earlier, this is pretty much us. Random draw, no "playing with mates" (except we're all mates anyway), newbies, and random arrivals all welcome.

It's this format that we are trying to preserve after the introduction of tee times. Conversation with the club manager suggests it can be accommodated - although we have to bear in mind that we are not the only members in the club.

Very similar. We draw the balls at 7.45 for an 8.00 start. We have a bag of coloured or logo balls and you pick one, and put it in the bag and its a random draw. If we have a large turn out we'll and a number no divisible by 4 we'll send a couple of three balls and then four balls after that. If there is a match or comp on we'll also split the field and send some off the 10th. Works perfectly for us and we wouldn't want to go down the booked tee route

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I agree

I'm not in one but this all sounds quite formal for a roll-up. I though it was just a bunch of mates with a pot and some side bets but must be more to it than that

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Club ive just left decided to bring in a quasi system, basically made saturday and sunday mornings until 11am non bookable and then put in a booking system for the rest

This then allowed weekend morning comps and roll ups to fit in before the 11am slots

Worked pretty well 95% of the time

almost the same as ours - roll up in the bar and put your name on the list for the roll-up and get pared up in 4-balls - 2 balls till 7.30. This happens every day - then T bookings available every day from 10.30. Works brilliantly as you have best of both worlds - rock up earlier and get a game or book in advance...

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not in one but this all sounds quite formal for a roll-up. I though it was just a bunch of mates with a pot and some side bets but must be more to it than that

If you think its formal, l think you're over reading it? Its just turn up, have draw of some kind to make up the groupings and away you go . Someone wins & gets the money; someone loses & gets barracked and everyone goes away happy.