Suspension of search.....

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think I would put a modest bet on the R&A reply being that it is not permitted to stop and restart the search time to let a game through and that if there is a safety issue then the choice is not to let the following game through. 25p anyone? :)

I'll take that bet (and pay when we meet up at a forum event :D)

It does say within the rules of golf that safety of the players is paramount so they could go against that if they wish.

I'm picturing a scene where player A hits his ball 250 into the 1st cut, player B hits his 240 also into the 1st cut, upon getting to their balls player A (who walked faster) can't find his and the clock starts ticking... player B however now wants to get on with his shot... does player A stand in the way for 5 mins?

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ahh, but all the rules of golf are mere technicalities. So which other ones would you ignore then?

But then, what other rules of the game would you bend/break if you didn't like them?

Your allowed 5 minutes searching time and if somebody doesnt get 5 minutes searching time then its hardly fair is it? If the R&A do indeed insist that you cant stop and re-start the search then i wouldnt let the group behind play through.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your allowed 5 minutes searching time and if somebody doesnt get 5 minutes searching time then its hardly fair is it? If the R&A do indeed insist that you cant stop and re-start the search then i wouldnt let the group behind play through.

Think it may be another of these that suffer from the way they are worded Birchy , your allowed 5 mins from the start of the search , which pednticaly is different than 5 mins actualy searching ..

I agree with you & Bob in this , common sence should prevail but i doesnt seem like you have the option of common sence in this instance ..

Last edited:

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think it may be another of these that suffer from the way they are worded Birchy , your allowed 5 mins from the start of the search , which pednticaly is different than 5 mins actualy searching ..

I agree with you & Bob in this , common sence should prevail but i doesnt seem like you have the option of common sence in this instance ..

It doesnt say anywhere starting and stopping the search is forbidden indefinatley so until i saw a definitive ruling from the R&A i would allow 5 mins searching time and allow the group to play through so everybody else on the course isnt affected.

If we get word back that you definatley cant stop then re start the search then i wouldnt let the group through and continue making golfs biggest problem even worse.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
It doesnt say anywhere starting and stopping the search is forbidden

It doesn't need to. Given how clear the Definition and 27-1c are that the ball is lost 5 minutes after the search has begun, you would need to find something that expressly made an exception to that. But I'm just repeating what has been said already so will leave it at that.

Here is the wording:

A ball is deemed “lost” if:
a. It is not found or identified as his by the player within five minutes after the player’s side or his or their caddies have begun to search for it;

Ball Not Found Within Five Minutes

If a ball is lost as a result of not being found or identified as his by the player within five minutes after the player’s side or his or their caddies have begun to search for it,

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Ah! ............... the fatal mistake of confusing the rules with fairness!!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well, those exact words are certainly used in Decision 6-8b/5. Though that refers to refusal to restart because of possible dnger from lightning.

and goes on to say that the committee may DQ a player who still perceives a risk/danger for failing to get on with it....looks consistent with the application of the rules to the situation under discussion to me :)

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
if the ball was lucky enough to be found in say 5.09 mins in injury time call it. can the player not play out the hole , with both balls , and marker highlights both scores . and ask in score tent before signing and entering the card ?

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
but would he be disqualified, for playing both balls ? say on the the green both balls were on same line. therefore the first putt made is giving the line of the next putt. 14-2b let them make the decision
No.

Where a player is in doubt over a ruling, then 2 balls can be played - one as per the 'believed' reason and one under a known one. If both balls end up on same line, it's just (beneficial) rub of the green.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
No.

Where a player is in doubt over a ruling, then 2 balls can be played - one as per the 'believed' reason and one under a known one. If both balls end up on same line, it's just (beneficial) rub of the green.[/QUOTE thus endeth the lession . . wait and see ?. practice on the course ?, testing surface speed ?, to mention 2

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
someone could claim that they think there ball is further up the rough than it really is and therefore get a free look as they go past then turn back on themselves.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
No.

Where a player is in doubt over a ruling, then 2 balls can be played - one as per the 'believed' reason and one under a known one. If both balls end up on same line, it's just (beneficial) rub of the green.[/QUOTE thus endeth the lession . . wait and see ?. practice on the course ?, testing surface speed ?, to mention 2

In stroke play, playing a second ball if in doubt as to how to proceed is covered by Rule 3-3:

In stroke play, if a competitor is doubtful of his rights or the correct procedure during the play of a hole, he may, without penalty, complete the hole with two balls.