Suspension of search.....

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have just noticed that my last sentence above has a "not" in it that shouldn't be there. It should read

This was a unique situation in which the application of the Rules does not seem to produce the answer people would like, the answer that people would generally think fair.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
ergo changing the rule, imo that means the definition has changed........however, until they make it official the old definition stands

however, as it never happens in real life its moot anyway

Unfortunately, this is a complete misunderstanding of what has happened. The Definition has not changed (and indeed could not change until the next revision of the Rules). A ball is still "lost" if it has not been found within 5 minutes. What the advice Bobmac helpfully got from the R&A tells us is that it is permissible to stop counting that 5 minutes if you have to move away from the search area for safety while you let the following game through and start counting again when you return to the search. And it only applies if you move away from where the ball is likely to be.

As for its not happening in real life, it's clear from this thread that having to move away for safety while a game plays through does happen and also clear that there are players who do count the time.

NB As for my "correction" above to the previous post - it's bollocks. :eek: The original sentence was right enough. Time to switch off and go to sleep methinks.:rolleyes:

Last edited: