Suspension of search.....

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
That was my thinking too. You suspend play while you get out of the road and resume play once the following group play through.
But will the rules experts allow you so suspend your own game for safety reasons ?

Bob,

If the game is a match then the rules would permit the players to agree to discontinue play in such a situation, and IMO it would be perfectly acceptable for the players to agree to 'stop the clock' on the search in the circumstances being discussed.

In a competition the committee become the only party able to make such a decision in the absence of lightening or sudden illness, as it is their responsibility to protect the interests of the rest of the field.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'd imagine if your opponent got bitten by a snake whilst looking and went down like a sack of spuds the same rule would apply? In fact you could count down the minutes out loud..... 4 minutes..... 3 minutes.... :D

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
But will the rules experts allow you so suspend your own game for safety reasons ?

It's not what so-called "rules experts" allow you to do, but what the Rules allow. Anyway, the answer to your question is yes, players can suspend a game but for reasons such as danger from lightning or illness (6-8a) These are situations in which the players have no control. In this situation, the players have a choice: they don't have to let the following game through if they think it will put themselves at risk.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
From RandA....

Q: A player has been searching for his ball for three minutes when play is suspended. How much time is he allowed for further search?

A: The player may continue searching for two more minutes. The suspension of play has no effect on the five-minute search period. Thus, even if the player searches for his ball during the suspension of play, he is still only permitted a total of five minutes to search for his ball.

I think allowing people to play through IS a suspension of play.... as you can't play whilst they are teeing off.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Another interesting one along the same vein......

Q: A player finds his ball in high rough after a two-minute search, leaves the area to get a club and, when he returns, is unable to find the ball. Is he allowed three minutes or five minutes to find his ball?

A: Three minutes

Notice how the clock stops?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
"common sense" approach is just not available in the latter(competition ). It's clear from the Definition and Rule 27-1c that there is no such option . The Decision that allows an interruption for suspension of play refers to a period when play has stopped. Play has not stopped during the time you have stepped aside to let a game play through

That would be the point you'd have to prove. That in your opinion, play HAS in fact stopped as you have stopped playing.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I think it's not about whether play has stopped.... it's whether the SEARCH has stopped or been interupted (see 2nd example posted) You have 5 mins of search time and as long as you are looking the time counts down.... if you pop off to go get a club the 'search time' has stopped... it would be the same for stepping aside to let someone through.... in my opinion.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Another interesting one along the same vein......

Q: A player finds his ball in high rough after a two-minute search, leaves the area to get a club and, when he returns, is unable to find the ball. Is he allowed three minutes or five minutes to find his ball?

A: Three minutes

Notice how the clock stops?

the clock stopped because he had found the ball!

in your previous quote play has been suspended in accordance with the rules, not a tea break etc...

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's not what so-called "rules experts" allow you to do, but what the Rules allow. Anyway, the answer to your question is yes, players can suspend a game but for reasons such as danger from lightning or illness (6-8a) These are situations in which the players have no control. In this situation, the players have a choice: they don't have to let the following game through if they think it will put themselves at risk.

As I have already posted above, I am afraid I disagree with this in the context of a match Colin. The players may agree to discontinue play in such a situation, and the clock could be stopped.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks Duncan. I didn't have time to acknowledge your point before going out for a golf practice. As can happen, your post was made while I was writing mine so it looks as if I was ignoring what you said.

I hadn't thought of the difference in matchplay so that was really helpful. The difference is, as you have said, that in matchplay what happens only affects the two sides whereas in stroke play there is the whole field to consider.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Are we even agreed that common sense would say the 5 minute clock SHOULD stop when the players stopped looking and started again when the search resumed ?

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If any player in the group continues timing while letting a group through and then calls time just after you start searching again then he is bang out of order and i would tell him as well. Your allowed 5 mins searching time and as far as im concerned that only applies to the time you are actually searching for the ball.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
If any player in the group continues timing while letting a group through and then calls time just after you start searching again then he is bang out of order and i would tell him as well. Your allowed 5 mins searching time and as far as im concerned that only applies to the time you are actually searching for the ball.

You are allowed 5 minutes from when the player starts searching, from reading the replies so far it would seem that there is no scope to stop the search to let someone through so unfortunately it is tough.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If people are going to try and screw me on a technicality like that rather than winning playing golf then i wouldnt let the group behind play through. If ive only got 5 minutes then balls to anybody else!

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
If people are going to try and screw me on a technicality like that rather than winning playing golf then i wouldnt let the group behind play through. If ive only got 5 minutes then balls to anybody else!

Ahh, but all the rules of golf are mere technicalities. So which other ones would you ignore then?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

But then, what other rules of the game would you bend/break if you didn't like them?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
@ Bobmac
I perhaps should have said that play has not been discontinued while you search for a ball rather than play has not stopped since that is the word used in Rule 6-8 where there is a short list of the situations in which players are allowed to discontinue play. It does not include discontinuing play while allowing another game to play through.

@JustOne
There's nothing said to modify the Definition of a lost ball that would allow you to stop the search time while going for a club, going for cheese sarny, going for a pee..... or letting another game through.

I think this is just one of these situations where a course of action seems sensible and fair yet is not available to us within the Rules.

I think I would put a modest bet on the R&A reply being that it is not permitted to stop and restart the search time to let a game through and that if there is a safety issue then the choice is not to let the following game through. 25p anyone? :)

Last edited: