Suspension/Cancellation of Club Copmetitions

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
2 of our Medal Competitions have been cancelled recently when I feel suspension would have been more appropriate. I do accept it is a difficult decision.

In Both cases members had started their rounds.

Our course dries very quickly and in one case The Competition was cancelled @9 a.m. the course was not closed and casual play was possible @9.15 a.m. the reason given was waterlogged greens.

In the other lightening was quoted which I accept. I live 1 mile from the Course, saw non heard thunder. When I arrived the Sun was out and the course available for casual play within 30 minutes.

Is there is a definite rule covering this please? I found a Rule 6 and reiterate it is a thankless task.

Steven Rules

Visit site
Committee Procedures 6E(4)b

b. Stroke Play
In stroke play there is no set guidance for when a Committee should cancel a round. The proper action depends on the circumstances in each case and is left to the judgment of the Committee.

A round should be cancelled only in a case where it would be very unfair not to cancel it. For example, it would be reasonable to cancel a round if a small number of players begin a round under extremely bad weather conditions, conditions subsequently worsen and play for the remainder of that day is impossible, but when play will resume the next day the weather is likely to be significantly better.

When a round is cancelled, all scores and penalties during that round are cancelled. That would normally include any disqualification penalty, but, if a player is disqualified for a serious misconduct (see
Rule 1.2) or for a breach of the Code of Conduct, that disqualification should not be cancelled.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
2 of our Medal Competitions have been cancelled recently when I feel suspension would have been more appropriate. I do accept it is a difficult decision.

In Both cases members had started their rounds.

Our course dries very quickly and in one case The Competition was cancelled @9 a.m. the course was not closed and casual play was possible @9.15 a.m. the reason given was waterlogged greens.

In the other lightening was quoted which I accept. I live 1 mile from the Course, saw non heard thunder. When I arrived the Sun was out and the course available for casual play within 30 minutes.

Is there is a definite rule covering this please? I found a Rule 6 and reiterate it is a thankless task.
If the greens are flooded first thing then it makes sense.
If you put everyone’s tee time back say one hour some will not be able to play because of other commitments.

Dammed if they do and if they don’t.