Support your club pro?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
You deleted the ‘your ignorant’ comment, but as a retailer for many years, I’m more than qualified to have an opinion thanks very much ?
I deleted it because I re read it and felt it was unfair. I literally deleted it 10 secs after I posted it.

Having an opinion because you’re a retailer and understanding how a golf pro shops works are very different things

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I deleted it because I re read it and felt it was unfair. I literally deleted it 10 secs after I posted it.

Having an opinion because you’re a retailer and understanding how a golf pro shops works are very different things

Not really, its a business, of which I've owned many, and built up from nothing, as such he runs a retail shop, my post was all about the current situation, not how they operate normally, obviously pro's have many different values of retainer, why someone would have one circa 10k as you refer is beyond me, unless the shop and lessons yield that much guaranteed revenue and they get other streams from comps, its then deemed fair and acceptable by all those concerned, as it can then support all the other costs he has, but when you have a situation like were in now, which nobody could forecast, or even possibly insure against, then those with silly low retainers are exposed. I would think after this, those in this bracket will be addressing their personal terms with some parachute guarantees!

However, there are those that have decent retainers, I know mine does, and the point I was making, with no staff to pay currently, no rates or rent anyway, or the revenue from other areas that would help to support paying staff, which are no longer present, so that's a mute point, as they don't have any fixed or operational costs currently, just their retainers, will get through this more comfortably than someone who served in McD's or worked in a warehouse!

The only variable then is, are they contractually self employed with a retainer, PAYE employed by the club as an employee with a built in retainer, or a limited company again with a contractual retainer. If under contract, can the club furlough them? as such they could be still receiving the full retainer under contract law, if not, dependent on their status, they, like the rest of the country, have to claim.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our club has 2 brothers working in the shop between them. As far as I can see from the accounts they have no overheads, i.e. rent, electricity etc. They are paid a retainer of about £15K in total and take a percentage from comps and visiting fees. They give lessons and have fairly recently bought an indoor launch monitor for lessons and general play etc.
The shop is stocked fairly well and attracts customers from other places.

D

Deleted member 1740

Pros will barely keep any of their retainer.

They have to pay staff, stock the shop etc, and if you understood how much OEMs have pros over a barrel then I think your opinion would change.

A small pro shop getting better margins? Their buying power in comparison to AG for example is tiny, hence why most pros end up with Foremost etc just because they can get a slightly better trade price.

If the pro is a LTD company, then right now he’s most likely getting £700 a month if he has furloughed himself from his business...

I always thought pro’s got a kickback off each manufacturer, has that never happened or changed in recent years?

D

Deleted member 1740

It's a tough gig. Got to make ends meet and listen to all the endless accounts of how someone would have buffered if they hadn't had 2 OBs and 4 three jabs!!

I'd find those tales quite amusing after spending 10hrs a day couped up in a shop ?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always thought pro’s got a kickback off each manufacturer, has that never happened or changed in recent years?
I played golf with the pro of one of the top courses in Southport by chance at Siloth last September.

He was telling me to get a 3% kick back Titleist he had to buy over 100 dozen balls up front, and also wasn’t allowed to stock more than 3 other types (not brands) of ball.

Nowadays most pros just get better terms if they commit to more stock up front but that generally means committing to the new fitting cart (about £2.5k), and then a certain amount of stock in the shop (also into 4 figures).

D

Deleted member 1740

I played golf with the pro of one of the top courses in Southport by chance at Siloth last September.

He was telling me to get a 3% kick back Titleist he had to buy over 100 dozen balls up front, and also wasn’t allowed to stock more than 3 other types (not brands) of ball.

Nowadays most pros just get better terms if they commit to more stock up front but that generally means committing to the new fitting cart (about £2.5k), and then a certain amount of stock in the shop (also into 4 figures).

Generally, it makes sense the more you buy the bigger the discount/kickback but I'd have thought these OEM's would be supporting the smaller pro shops as opposed to screwing them down to the margins they're doing.

I'm surprised they have to pay for the fitting car though.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Generally, it makes sense the more you buy the bigger the discount/kickback but I'd have thought these OEM's would be supporting the smaller pro shops as opposed to screwing them down to the margins they're doing.

I'm surprised they have to pay for the fitting car though.
How much do you think a pro will make after VAT on a new callaway driver roughly? Bearing in mind the pro will almost certainly have to price match to £399.

This is before I even take into account carriage

This is just a chat btw not trying to prove you’re wrong or anything.

D

Deleted member 1740

How much do you think a pro will make after VAT on a new callaway driver roughly? Bearing in mind the pro will almost certainly have to price match to £399.

This is before I even take into account carriage

This is just a chat btw not trying to prove you’re wrong or anything.

I appreciate it, it's all knowledge?

Before this convo I'd have said between £40-£60 each driver, now probably £15.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I appreciate it, it's all knowledge?

Before this convo I'd have said between £40-£60 each driver, now probably £15.
Haha no you’re actually correct. Personally I think that’s bloody awful. When they have to commit to the stock up front for £1000s.

D

Deleted member 1740

Haha no you’re actually correct. Personally I think that’s bloody awful. When they have to commit to the stock up front for £1000s.

How much?

Thing is for the established pro's is they know their members and their buying habits so they'll know what's achievable.

I know a lad at my old club who spends hundreds with the pro, I nicknamed him xxxx's mannequin because every time he went in the shop he'd come out with something new on ??

Theres members at every club who would buy a bag of steaming hot cow dung off the pro so long as it came in a TM bag ?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Those margins explain why a pro I know gave up his club job to spend all his time coaching or playing.

Which probably makes the club taking over the running of the shop - paying a salary (basic) - with a sales bonus - plus being allowed to keep any money made through lessons a much more appealing option nowadays.

D

Deleted member 17920

Which probably makes the club taking over the running of the shop - paying a salary (basic) - with a sales bonus - plus being allowed to keep any money made through lessons a much more appealing option nowadays.
Do agree with that, seen so many smaller clubs round here do exactly that and just sell minimal items.

Just pay a pro a part time wage and let them sell lessons on top to earn some proper money.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Do agree with that, seen so many smaller clubs round here do exactly that and just sell minimal items.

Just pay a pro a part time wage and let them sell lessons on top to earn some proper money.

Wouldn’t work with ours, although I think a lot of our members would prefer it.

Our Head Pro rarely, if at all, does any lessons, however, his 2 assistants are very busy giving them.

Our pro is all about the retail shop, that’s what he enjoys, he’s very good front of house in welcoming new members and selling the club to interested individuals & societies etc, but he’s (personally) a retailer first & foremost.