Support your club pro?

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most definitely I agree but I didnt expect it to be done free but I thought about £8/9 fitted per grip was about right.

The grips were £7 on Gamola, I doubt the pro is paying that for them.

I usually do my own but I had run out of gear and i was going away the day after so was in a bit if a rush.

I wnever said anything and just paid it but never spent another penny there and wouldnt in future.

I recently got 5 irons regripped by my Pro for £30. Golf Pride £6 each. ?

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our shop is club owned and we get a discount or price matching depending on the items required. We also get vouchers from competitions redeemed via the pro. Try to use them wherever possible but they don't carry all brands (obviously) so it can be limited. I always think they offer a good service and price so will continue to use them.

Also use one of the pros as a coach and have just committed (paid) for a package of lessons which i'm sure I will need when we start playing again but also he needs to support his family. Not being altruistic - just trying to ensure we are all still together post virus.

Visit site
I got 5 irons (6-PW) and my putter regripped in January by my pro.
Golf pride on the irons and a 3.0 super stroke on the putter.
£65 for the 6 clubs.
Thought that was fairly reasonable.
I don’t mind giving business to the pro.
Any money I get from sweeps or 2s always goes back to the club.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
With regards grips I've been lucky that the pros at my club will let me buy whatever grips I want if its something they don't stock and will only charge a nominal fee for the tape and time to fit them. That said all of them have usually offered a start of season discount to get the set done which has always seemed reasonable and less than £100

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I’m going to play devil’s advocate here.

Most pros will be on a [healthy] retainer, what they earn through their shops goes towards the wages of their staff, which will all be furloughed.

They don’t pay any rent, rates or electricity etc, some will be self employed some will be limited, so they have options to be Government supported at present.

They should always be able to price match as their margins will be better than those of a retail store who have far more costs to be considered.

So just like a landlord in normal circumstances I hear bleating, I’ve rarely seen a poor one.

So, although I support my pro shop, in these uncertain times I can think of many more worthy people & places to support with my hard earned that truly need it.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site

Most pros will be on a [healthy] retainer, what they earn through their shops goes towards the wages of their staff, which will all be furloughed.

They don’t pay any rent, rates or electricity etc, some will be self employed some will be limited, so they have options to be Government supported at present.

They should always be able to price match as their margins will be better than those of a retail store who have far more costs to be considered.

So just like a landlord in normal circumstances I hear bleating, I’ve rarely seen a poor one.

So, although I support my pro shop, in these uncertain times I can think of many more worthy people & places to support with my hard earned that truly need it.
Most pro's are not earning that much money, there a few that maybe able to earn 50-60k a year but the vast majority will be earning 20-30k which isnt exactly rich

Siolag

Visit site

If you are talking about “true need” then of course there are far more deserving cases than a club pro.

However this is a golf forum, and golf is, for most on here if not everyone, a luxury that we all enjoy. Therefore if we have any spare cash, it’ll likely be high up on the list to spend this on golf. If you value a Pro, then using his services when everything starts getting back to normal will help them to get back to normal and allow them to continue to be in business.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
...was what I was thinking!

Ours is on a retainer, but you couldn't bring up a family on it. He pays the assistant out of that too.

My mates a pro, not sure what's happening to him ATM going to try find out a bit when we next speak

His club however I have been impressed with what they done for their customers .. the golf course is almost a side business of the restaurant .. it's very popular

The owner has set up a system for their customers to get deliveries of meat , fish and veg .. place order via the owner .. they will do their Smithfields etc runs as normal and then deliver the food to the customers

Minimum order £50 I think was

Prices are reasonable so they can still cover their costs but not stupidly high

Thought was a really good idea

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our caterers are going fruit and veg deliveries to keep cash coming in...I'd support that but I'm outside their delivery range .

Fair play to folk who are trying to keep their businesses afloat (safely)

Spoken to him, he's self employed and on the 80% from the gov. That's all he got. This is prime coaching season aswell so he really suffering

Doesn't sound good

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Depends what the pro is like at the club and how he is paid I guess but wouldn't overly disagree on this

From the couple I know of. The pro gets a basic salary and a percentage of the sales they make. They're free to make as much as they can from lessons.

A hard working professional will do well.

Club gets another revenue stream. Instead of paying the professional a retainer they buy the stock and get the profit.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good point, no offence meant

No offence taken
But most of the country is in the same boat, that's all
I'm self employed myself
Earnings fell off edge of a cliff
With no retainer, small or large, as a cushion back up
But I do feel for anybody, for whom their circumstances have changed through this awful time....

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

Pros will barely keep any of their retainer.

They have to pay staff, stock the shop etc, and if you understood how much OEMs have pros over a barrel then I think your opinion would change.

A small pro shop getting better margins? Their buying power in comparison to AG for example is tiny, hence why most pros end up with Foremost etc just because they can get a slightly better trade price.

If the pro is a LTD company, then right now he’s most likely getting £700 a month if he has furloughed himself from his business...

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Pros will barely keep any of their retainer.

They have to pay staff, stock the shop etc, and if you understood how much OEMs have pros over a barrel then I think your opinion would change.

A small pro shop getting better margins? Their buying power in comparison to AG for example is tiny, hence why most pros end up with Foremost etc just because they can get a slightly better trade price.

If the pro is a LTD company, then right now he’s most likely getting £700 a month if he has furloughed himself from his business...

You deleted the ‘your ignorant’ comment, but as a retailer for many years, I’m more than qualified to have an opinion thanks very much ?