Support your club pro?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Has an email from our Pro today saying if you add money to your shop account this month, 10% extra will be added. Good way of generating cash flow while we are closed. (not without risk!)

So, I have, and will be in the shop for some new rescues when he reopens, so why not help him out?

Any other pros doing this sort of thing?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Our Pro does various different offers throughout the year and he is putting stuff out on social media as well as to the members.
I tend to buy a fair bit from my pro, and have money in the Pro shop to spend but really don't need anything.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Before the lockdown, our “pro shop” (club owned) got me in a new carry bag. Price matched online without me even asking, would have happily paid what ever he said. Shall be ordering some new wedges through the shop at some point this year once I get fitted.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Our made an offer that any credit added, he will add 20% (I think) on to spend when things re-open.

A decent offer, but I'm not planning on buying anything.

I did buy a putter from him and he price matched American Golf without any hesitation and ordered the exact spec I wanted from Ping. It wasn't a sale so I'd imagine even smaller retailers get 20% or so to play with from the big manufacturers.

D

Deleted member 1740

The last club I was at, I thought the pro was excessively expensive.

He ripped me once, never got a 2nd chance.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ours is part of Foremost - will price match, no quibble dealing with genuine issues.... I think the think is how it operates, rather than who "owns."
Ours is the same although the poor bloke must be wondering what he's done to be so jinxed. Joined in October last year just before such a wet winter which had the club closed or on reduced holes and now closed through Corona. He price matches through foremost and is self-employed but with a retainer from the club

D

Deleted member 1740

Why did you buy if you thought you were being ripped off?

I needed 9 clubs regripping so went in the shop but he was busy so I left them with him and went back to pick them up a bit later. He fitted golf pride multi compounds grey/grey ones what asked for and charged me £120. I thought at the time it was a bit steep but paid it and went on my way.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not sure what they cost per grip (retail) but it would be at least an hour or more of their time which they have a right to charge for.

I always do my own grips using 2" wide grip tape strips, piece of cake.

Siolag

Visit site
Plan to get a good number of lessons when it’s back, and happy to pay them upfront.

There are a few bits and pieces I want and I’ll have a good bit of spare cash by the time it’s open again so will get him to order me it all in. I’m happy to support my pro any time he can get me what I am looking for.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Ours is the same although the poor bloke must be wondering what he's done to be so jinxed. Joined in October last year just before such a wet winter which had the club closed or on reduced holes and now closed through Corona. He price matches through foremost and is self-employed but with a retainer from the club
Snap. I buy all my golf gear from our pro.

D

Deleted member 1740

Not sure what they cost per grip (retail) but it would be at least an hour or more of their time which they have a right to charge for.

I always do my own grips using 2" wide grip tape strips, piece of cake.

Most definitely I agree but I didnt expect it to be done free but I thought about £8/9 fitted per grip was about right.

The grips were £7 on Gamola, I doubt the pro is paying that for them.

I usually do my own but I had run out of gear and i was going away the day after so was in a bit if a rush.

I wnever said anything and just paid it but never spent another penny there and wouldnt in future.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Our made an offer that any credit added, he will add 20% (I think) on to spend when things re-open.

A decent offer, but I'm not planning on buying anything.

I did buy a putter from him and he price matched American Golf without any hesitation and ordered the exact spec I wanted from Ping. It wasn't a sale so I'd imagine even smaller retailers get 20% or so to play with from the big manufacturers.
You’d be suprised

D

Deleted member 1740

He probably is paying that.
Plus the cost of the grip fluid, plus the cost of the tape, plus the time and work getting your old grips off, cleaning up the shafts then putting the new grips on properly.
For 9 grips I would think about 90 quid or so?

Yeah that wouldn't be too bad, anything over £100 is a bit excessive imo