Supplementary Scores

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I’m 27 holes into this year, with a round booked tommorow. Really tempted to pre-register and submit Tommorows score for handicap purposes.

Anybody else keen to get stuck right in or getting a few more rounds under their belt first?

richbeech

Hacker
Visit site
I put a card in yesterday which was my 2nd round back. Actually didn't play too shabby, shot 2 over my handicap which resulted in a non-counting score. Probably going to put another one in today. I'm actually quite liking this new system to be honest. So easy to do through the HDID app. I'm not going to do one every round but my attitude is just crack on with it and let the handicap take care of itself. If anything it will take away some of the pressure of 'having a card in your hand in a comp' as I will be more used to the pressure so to speak.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
An advantage of WHS is that an early season poor score is unlikely to affect your handicap if you have a decent number of scores in your history.

Leftie5.6

Visit site
An advantage of WHS is that an early season poor score is unlikely to affect your handicap if you have a decent number of scores in your history.
However, when you look through your playing history back to 2018 your whs handicap will be a rollercoaster. Under previous system I have largely been off 6 with one foray into 7 and another into 5. WHS shows range of 4.1 to 8.1. The big difference is you stay the same or can move up by a lot more than 0.1.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I put a card in yesterday which was my 2nd round back. Actually didn't play too shabby, shot 2 over my handicap which resulted in a non-counting score. Probably going to put another one in today. I'm actually quite liking this new system to be honest. So easy to do through the HDID app. I'm not going to do one every round but my attitude is just crack on with it and let the handicap take care of itself. If anything it will take away some of the pressure of 'having a card in your hand in a comp' as I will be more used to the pressure so to speak.

Did you have to hand in the card aswell out of interest? Our handicap sec is telling me he wants cards aswell as doing via the app.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
However, when you look through your playing history back to 2018 your whs handicap will be a rollercoaster. Under previous system I have largely been off 6 with one foray into 7 and another into 5. WHS shows range of 4.1 to 8.1. The big difference is you stay the same or can move up by a lot more than 0.1.
It depends on how variable or consistent your game is.

D

Deleted member 15344

Did you have to hand in the card aswell out of interest? Our handicap sec is telling me he wants cards aswell as doing via the app.

As is his right - and actually agree with asking for the card as proof of marker more than anything

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
As is his right - and actually agree with asking for the card as proof of marker more than anything

Not sure about the IG app but the HDID one asks for a markers name however that obviously won’t work if you do a card away from your club. Once Covid has calmed down I think the majority of HC Committee will allow electronic entry but want a card for confirmation.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I'm quite happy to provide a card electrically. Handing in a card defeats the whole point of updating the system. Also covid wants to minimise handing things to another.

I'd be happy to have the card emailed to the handicap sec. Easy to do. Takes seconds.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Completely within his right, current rules were changed to allow electronic entry if committees were happy with that, your HC committee obviously aren’t.

Interesting. However golf England's app will allow you to enter cards with electronic markers ..

Who is going to handle the cards when members play at other clubs?

Who are nomads going to hand cards to when they get handicaps?

wjemather

Visit site
Interesting. However golf England's app will allow you to enter cards with electronic markers ..

Who is going to handle the cards when members play at other clubs?

Who are nomads going to hand cards to when they get handicaps?
Indeed. The MyEG app will soon have score entry enabled - it's in the beta version already. It requires your selected playing partner to "attest" your score before it gets submitted to WHS (which is an improvement on the HDID app, which blindly accepts scores) but being reliant on someone other than the player to get their score submitted in a timely manner, it doesn't seem to sit well with the player's responsibilities under the RoH. I'd guess this is intended to eliminate the need for physical scorecards, although many handicap secretaries will no doubt still want to see them.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Indeed. The MyEG app will soon have score entry enabled - it's in the beta version already. It requires your selected playing partner to "attest" your score before it gets submitted to WHS (which is an improvement on the HDID app, which blindly accepts scores) but being reliant on someone other than the player to get their score submitted in a timely manner, it doesn't seem to sit well with the player's responsibilities under the RoH. I'd guess this is intended to eliminate the need for physical scorecards, although many handicap secretaries will no doubt still want to see them.

I didn't realise it would need your playing partner to sign it off aswell how clever. (I have the beta version) but that will be amazing if they signed off your card .. much quicker

I'd have no problem filling in a card. Photographing it and emailing it to the club's handicap sec .. then they have digital copies

Ofc some people will want to do a card because they don't do tech and that's fine but shouldn't force everyone to do a card

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Cards are handed in where I play to confirm score entry via the app or PSI screen.

This is where I get kind of confused. Psi screen what's the difference between using that to enter your card or the app? Isn't the psi screen just something to enter using your cdh number?

Please correct me as I'm prob wrong but I'm trying to get My head around it

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Surely cards have to be checked at some point, via photo/scan or hard copy..?
We've all seen or heard of people marking cards incorrectly, inputting scores incorrectly and generally making a hash of it.
To solely rely on someone's data entry skills is madness..

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PSI is a score input screen as well being used to confirm you are at the club (covid rules) to enter in to a competition before play, check handicap (your own and any other player),

We log in using our name, or via a swipe card.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely cards have to be checked at some point, via photo/scan or hard copy..?
We've all seen or heard of people marking cards incorrectly, inputting scores incorrectly and generally making a hash of it.
To solely rely on someone's data entry skills is madness..

As long as it's electronic I'm all for it .. have the option for handing it in but prefer just emailing

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
PSI is a score input screen as well being used to confirm you are at the club (covid rules) to enter in to a competition before play, check handicap (your own and any other player),

We log in using our name, or via a swipe card.

Ah I see, would a geolocation on your phone do the same? I know golf England app won't let you start a round unless your near the club and is time sensitive so won't let you sign it off until 2 hours after you signed in

Psi screen sounds fine just only concern would be amount of people in one area at a time using it

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The system will flag that. All independent golfers would be registered on our system.”

He stated that scores will be inputted via an England Golf app.

“There would be a timing device within the app that independent golfers couldn’t just input scores within five or 10 minutes of downloading that scorecard.

“It would at least be an hour, maybe a little bit longer if it’s for nine holes. So geo-location and timing within the app is absolutely critical.

“Another registered independent golfer, or a member of a golf club, would mark and verify that card.

“Everything would be automated through the system, so there would be no administration requirements on the golf club itself.

“If a course has been rated, and there are no significant adverse weather conditions or playing conditions, then acceptable scores can be played across that course at any point throughout the season – and any point throughout the year.”

Found this about nomads getting handicaps and how the system works and needs no administration