Supplementary card

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do understand how difficult it is to reach and maintain Cat 1 status, but that’s always going to be the nature of any handicapping system – the best have to keep striving to remain the best whereas lesser mortals still have some scope for improvement..
Totally at random (honestly) I looked up the results of the latest “bog standard” qualifier at a neighbouring club and show the top 8 places in Division 1:
Division 1 – 1st 39 points (New Handicap 11.1, 2nd 38 (NH 9.8), 3rd 38 (NH 11.6), 4th 38 (NH 10.0), 5th 38 (NH 0.4), 6th 36 (NH 9.0), 7th 36 (NH 11.2), 8th 36 (NH 2.9)
So the 2 Cat 1 players were in with a shout – granted that the Cat 2 players could probably identify more easily where they might have scraped another point or two.
Scoring in Divisions 2 and 3 was very similar with 40 points the best score of the day (Division 2).

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
1. The committee should know best - remember they are voted in by the members.
2. General Play cuts can still be - and are - made but on solid evidence and not on knee-jerk reactions or because the player wants one.
3. The player is the best judge? Anarchy rules. We all know players who have an inflated idea of their own ability and would want a low handicap as a badge of honour (look at the proliferation of websites "awarding" handicaps based on the player's say so). The current system is the best available to give an objective assessment of a player's playing ability.
4.Players winning comps with stupid scores? That's up to the club to ensure, for example, that initial handicap awards are properly carried out.
5. The CONGU UHS isn't perfect but it's as good as we're likely to get - and it's only ever going to be as good as the people running it at club level - and if it's not being properly run at club level, then it's up to players to do something about it.
6. Check your blood pressure.

Yep, I'd go along with most of that although I'm sure Bob's BP is fine :D

Some interesting points made generally on here though, particularly about low handicappers and their apparent inability to win competitions.

At our club the competitions are structured so that you have to qualify for a final and then the 3 majors are 36 holes on the day, the rest 18. Our other two board comps are straight 18 holes. Winners handicaps this year are as follows:

17 (one off 18 hole comp),
4 (qualify then 36 final),
4 (qualify then 36 hole final),
6 (qualify then 36 hole final),
4 (one off 18 hole comp),
5 (qualify the 18 hole final)

All were different winners. Our summer matchplay knockout, played off full difference (obviously as this is both mandatory and correct) has again yielded finalists in single figures (3 and 5).

So...... unless we are some unbelievable statistical anomaly (and the above isn't unusual for our club), it would seem that the Cat 1 lads are doing fine under the CONGU system. Playing major comps over one round though is a lottery but many many clubs do this. Statistically the high handicapper is more likely to shoot a "silly score" but in the long term his inconsistency will let him down so one off comps are almost bound to result in a lot of higher handicap wins, especially in a larger field.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bob
Just thought of a justification for your idea of allowing players to get a lower handicap by just asking the handicap committee nicely:
Ridiculous hypothetical situation – 20 genuine 24-handicappers have their requests to be cut to 18 accepted. Next comp they all, as expected, fail to score SSS +2 or better. Result is that CSS becomes SSS +3 (Reductions Only). Further result – all the genuine 20 and below handicappers are in with a good shout of getting a nice reduction.
Job done for those with genuine handicaps who want honest (ish) reductions.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just thought of a justification for your idea of allowing players to get a lower handicap by just asking the handicap committee nicely:

I'm sorry, I cant remember saying that.
I'm talking about golfers who feel their present h/cap doesn't reflect their current playing ability and hand in cards to prove it.
The original OP announced to his playing partners he wanted to hand in a supp card which he did and scored 5 under his h/cap off the white tees. Why on earth would he not be chopped for that. Rather than just asking nicely :D

And can I ask you why you use a "Ridiculous hypothetical situation" to try and prove a point?

If a golfer wants to be cut as his current h/cap is too high, why not cut him.
The alternative is that the rest of the members of his club have no chance of winning anything until his h/cap is reduced to the correct level. That will win him alot of friends :(

Golf and it's traditions are supposed to be based on 3 words
Honesty
Integrity
Courtesy
If a golfer feels that the rules of Congu have not allowed him to compete in the spirit of the game then the rules of Congu are an ass.