Sunday lunch outside of Edinburgh - help

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
Looking for recommendations for a sunday lunch outside of Edinburgh. Must be good food and ideally be somewhere with a nice walk for after or a nice town for a stroll around. Will drive 1/1.5 hours out of town.

Thanks for help

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
The walled garden at Archerfield (between Gullane and North Berwick) is nice. You can go for a walk around the outskirts of Muirfield and around Gullane bay along the beach. Or walk East along the beach to North Berwick. Or you could walk around the Archerfield estate.

Alternatively the Bonny Badger in Gullane is really nice, if a bit pricey but there are loads of walks available in and around the village.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ducks in Aberlady was always rather nice. Been a while though so it might well have changed. Aberlady and its bay is a really great walk (and Nature Reserve).

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
The Open Arms in Dirleton used to be really good food-wise but a few years since I've been.

Ruins of the castle across the road for a walk round or a 5/10 minute drive back to Archerfield/Gullane/North Berwick

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think the default for fancy dining in East Lothian is Greywalls. High end and prices to match - very nice though. The Bonnie Badger in Gullane is a relatively new addition, pricey but well regarded, also the Main Course in Gullane is good (but a bit more of an evening place.) The Golf Clubhouse in Gullane is good but not as upmarket as The BB and priced accordingly - this would likely me my choice for lunch in Gullane as I'm no gourmand.

In North Berwick the Herringbone is good for Bistro type food with a seaside ambiance. The Rocketeer is in a great location by the harbour with decent food but neither is high dining. The best restaurant in NB is Osteria, a wonderful Italian restaurant but they are shut on Sundays. There are a few other places to get lunch which are good but not 'fine dining'. A final NB suggestion is The Glen golf course which has fantastic (really fantastic) views from the big windows, is open for non-members and often has a carvery lunch on a Sunday and the food is good.

The Open Arms in Dirleton is old school Sunday lunch. Personally I find it a bit stilted and the twice I've been recently I've been underwhelmed by the food, but it is often busy with locals so we don't all agree obviously !

The Duck in Aberlady is often mentioned in dispatches but I've not been there myself so cannot comment. No reason to not believe all the good reports one hears of it.

Hope that helps.
Ian