Stupid, pretentious Rolex adverts

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Wrong. Chosen purely on what worked best for my game after testing and in relation to clothing what looked and felt good to wear irrespective of brand. Never seen a golf advert and bought purely on that

But don't you have like a dozen pairs of golf shoes ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But don't you have like a dozen pairs of golf shoes ?
Yes and FJ's as they were the only company offering a design your own option. Had there been others doing it I may well have made different choices but again the brand was never as a result of their advertising campaign. Seems like you all want to make this more than it is. I have said in other threads about advertising that I am not swayed by what I see/read as others have done. Seems more about who is making the claim than the statement itself. Explained so I'm done

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I find them irritating and pretentious too, but then again I am not the target audience. There are some people who buy watches like this love that pretentiousness, it adds to the cache of the buying experience and fits in with the persona they aspire to be.
But that is advertising for you. There are lots of adverts that annoy the heck out of me, but they must work.
Try working at home during the day. You get hit with adverts for life insurance, stair lifts, mobility scooters, etc. That's really where the filter hits in.

Last edited:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Yes and FJ's as they were the only company offering a design your own option. Had there been others doing it I may well have made different choices but again the brand was never as a result of their advertising campaign. Seems like you all want to make this more than it is. I have said in other threads about advertising that I am not swayed by what I see/read as others have done. Seems more about who is making the claim than the statement itself. Explained so I'm done

The art of a good salesman is not showing their art ;)

Swango1980

Visit site
If you are offended by Rolex, my mate just told me he was in London at the weekend, and was in Selfridges. He said there was a pen on sale for £6,000.

I then Googled Most Expensive Pen, which was the Fulgor Nocturnus, which cost $8 million. It is encrusted with 945 black diamonds, 123 rubies and an 18-carat gold nib to ensure its durability. What's more, apparently the pens structure adheres to the divine proportion of Phi, with the cap and barrel's dimensions embodying the 1.618 ratio, symbolizing perfect harmony and beauty.

Would the above be pretentious, or are these the sorts of things everybody looks for in a pen? One thing is true, I'd be really annoyed if it was one of those pens that you need to scribble for ages on a scrap piece of paper just to get it to work.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you are offended by Rolex, my mate just told me he was in London at the weekend, and was in Selfridges. He said there was a pen on sale for £6,000.

I then Googled Most Expensive Pen, which was the Fulgor Nocturnus, which cost $8 million. It is encrusted with 945 black diamonds, 123 rubies and an 18-carat gold nib to ensure its durability.
I'd have thought 18 carat gold is a pretty soft non durable metal.

Swango1980

Visit site
I've developed an in-built advert screener...all they do is annoy the hell out of me...the majority enforce my belief that I don't want or need their product/service
You'll remember all the stuff you don't buy when you see it advertised. After all, all of us DON'T buy most of the things we see advertised. If I was to watch half a dozen ads, there is a good chance I won't need any of their products / services. Doesn't mean I have an in-built advert screener, just that I simply don't need what they have to sell in my life.

And, advertisers are not really looking to achieve a situation where people see their ad and then go "I definitely want to get that now", albeit there will be some that do that. It is more about embedding a brand into peoples minds, so that in the future if a person needs something, they will subconsciously be more likely to buy that brand, because they've heard of it and it sounds more reputable.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You'll remember all the stuff you don't buy when you see it advertised. After all, all of us DON'T buy most of the things we see advertised. If I was to watch half a dozen ads, there is a good chance I won't need any of their products / services. Doesn't mean I have an in-built advert screener, just that I simply don't need what they have to sell in my life.

And, advertisers are not really looking to achieve a situation where people see their ad and then go "I definitely want to get that now", albeit there will be some that do that. It is more about embedding a brand into peoples minds, so that in the future if a person needs something, they will subconsciously be more likely to buy that brand, because they've heard of it and it sounds more reputable.
I'll give you that...to an extent. But...
Take the Meerkats...initially I liked the ads and , should I have required, would possibly have gone there first over the pseudo opera singing oaf...
Now....they all irritate me to the point that I will actively seek out alternatives even if it takes longer.
I don't shop at Tesco because every little helps or the ability to shout I've got the power at the cashier...it's the closet decent sized supermarket..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'll give you that...to an extent. But...
Take the Meerkats...initially I liked the ads and , should I have required, would possibly have gone there first over the pseudo opera singing oaf...
Now....they all irritate me to the point that I will actively seek out alternatives even if it takes longer.
I don't shop at Tesco because every little helps or the ability to shout I've got the power at the cashier...it's the closet decent sized supermarket..
I usually look for the cheapest (Aldi in my case for groceries) and would rather compare prices for services like insurance so the ads wouldn't sway me if I could find the cover I wanted elsewhere other than the meerkats or warbling Welshman

RichA

Visit site
I usually look for the cheapest (Aldi in my case for groceries) and would rather compare prices for services like insurance so the ads wouldn't sway me if I could find the cover I wanted elsewhere other than the meerkats or warbling Welshman
Our local Aldi generally has a car park full of £90k Range Rovers and Mercs with all-year-round sun-tanned couples saving a few pence on off-brand breakfast cereals that taste like sweetened cardboard. My BiL loves Aldi because he can save money on food to justify spending it on pretentious designer goods.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Everyone will be affected by marketing in someway - whether that’s sub consciously
Even if it gets into the sub-conscious, and we all know irritating ads (Shake n Vac, R Whites) that live on but it doesn't mean it has to transform into buying a given product. It will always be a conscious choice based on a number of aspects but not because an ad told me to