Struggling with my 4 Hybrid

MarkS

Assistant Pro
Visit site
simply i cannot connect with it properly, i seem to be thinning it every time with the ball coming off the toe......i only seem to hit it 40 yards, if i am lucky.
I get a good connection when i take a quater swing and almost bump it down like an exaggerated chip an run.

I dont have a video camer so i cant put up a video of me swinging the blated thing.

I struggle with a 5 wood for the same reason, so i was hoping the 4H would help.

Any ideas what i could be doing wrong?
M

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would suggest it may be either a ball position problem where it is a little too far forward or a sub-conscious effort to get the ball airborne. For my hybrid I play mine about 2-2/12 ball widths inside my left heel and try and pay it exactly like a fairway wood and sweep it away. Imagine it sitting on a sheet of ice (you should be able to recreate that scenario very easily at the moment) or a pane of glass. Try and meet the ball at the bottom or fractionally on the up swing and try and leave the ice/glass intact

BushFinder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thats interesting Homer, I thought the idea was to hit the hybrid exactly like an iron and not a wood, the sole is designed to bounce off the ground to create the loft.

I find it hard to hit it like an Iron, as when looking down on it I find it hard to not visualise sweeping the ball like a wood.

Iv'e also been strugling with consistency with the hybrid, so I recently bought a Burner 3h, it looks less chunky at address that the John Letters one I was previously using, but I imagine that its much less forgiving.
I havent had a chance to hit it yet though!! (damn weather) :(

BushFinder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you can't hit a hybrid it might be time to give up

Thanks for the encouragement Mr positvity! :D

Give up? Iv'e ony just started!
One of the things that inspires me about this great game, is mastering it!

BushFinder

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sorry I dislike Hybids, they are pointless clubs for people who have given up trying to be good, and have gone instead for easy.

Thats interesting.
I thought hybrids ware a widely accepted part of the game at all levels.
Y.E. Yang hit a fatastic shot with a hybrid on the way to winning a major.

Out of interest, if you hit a drive into some difficut rough a long way from the flag, which club would you choose? a long Iron, or just play back on to the fairway with a shot iron/wedge?

Coyote

Hacker
Visit site
I also have avoided a rescue as I hit my 5 and 4 iron ok most of the time. I tried out a TM Rescue recently and had to have it, despite its price (didn't tell wife the real cost). It gives me more options, flight and distance. I find that you should hit it like a 4 or 5 iron, just forward of centre. I also always top it if I try to smash it as I transfer weight to left side to aggressively, so control and let the club work.(That's what the pro is teaching me and it does seem to work)

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Sorry I dislike Hybids, they are pointless clubs for people who have given up trying to be good, and have gone instead for easy.

Ha ha!! :D :D

Who told you that pile of crap that you have posted??

Ha ha,got to one of the stupidest post I have ever read! :D :D

Coyote

Hacker
Visit site
Hi Bushfinder
Am a member at Aylesbury Vale Golf Club but play most of the local courses.
Dodger your humour, I hope, is a bit lost on me!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sorry freddie but got to say that post is rubbish. If a lot of the top players use them and Yang can win a major with one I'd say thats a pretty resounding endorsement of their versatility. You might have the escape prowess from rough with a long iron but I think the majority on here will feel much happier taking it on with something designed to make a tough shot a bit easier.

For those struggling, keep with it. It just another infuriating part of the game you need to master and will come in time. Keep the faith

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suppose for the purist, hybrids are anathema, so I trust they are polishing their niblicks and driving irons as we 'speak'.

At some time I had been told that you hit fairways and hybrids differently, with the result that I did neither well nor consistently.

My current pro said that was rubbish and to hit both the same way, as a fairway. Weather has interrupted practice but there had been some sparks of hope showing.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com

Ha ha!! :D :D

Who told you that pile of crap that you have posted??

Ha ha,got to one of the stupidest post I have ever read! :D :D

OK which part is incorrect, given that it is an expresion of my opinion - also if they are not easier to hit what is there point?

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
How is a hybrid more versatile than an iron - you can hit a long iron low, High, draw, fade etc. Hybrids are designed to remove as much of that spin as possible you have to hit them really bad to get anything other than straight.