Struggling with my 4 Hybrid

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What is your handicap freddie??

Thinking and believing (note i before e Freddie) and then stating "facts" based on suppositions. Find the proof and I will humbly bow to better knowledge. :D :D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't think the figures are correct I beleive that there are a much greater number of casual golfers nowdays and I really think this distorts the figures.

It's probably true that there are far more casual golfers but therein lies the error in your assertion.
Casual golfers, by definition, don't have recognised handicaps and it is those, and can be only those, on which statistics are based.
It may prove interesting, with the requirement to sustain a handicap, to see just how that will affect the stats. I doubt there will be much change.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Anyway.
Getting back to the original question.....
Mark, a thin is when the club approaches the ball from a shallow angle of attack and hits the ball half way up causing the ball to travel about 4 ft off the ground with no divot.
Is this what you're doing?
If so, the tendancy is to try and hit the ball in the air, therefor thining it even worse or missing it altogether.
Try and stay centred over the ball on your backswing with no swaying and then drive onto your left side finishing balanced up on your right toe (right hander)
HTH

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Freddie,

You make all these sweeping comments about wanting the game to be harder, that handicaps are different to the published figures and that you can't move a modern ball especially with a hybrid.

Where do you play? Is it one of the top UK courses and do you always play off the backs to make it as hard as you can

Whats your handicap

Personally I can hit a hybrid and move it anyway I want. My own personal shot of the year was at Leatherhead on the 3rd where I was 172 from the flag but blocked out by the trees left. I hit my 3 hybrid, and hit a big intentional draw landing it short and running it onto the green. It must have impressed HTL as he duffed his next. Sadly I 3 putted but the shot was how I saw it and I executed perfectly. No way I'd have taken that on with a 3 iron. If that makes the game easier but ultimately more satisfying, that once in a blue moon I can pull off a shot like you see these guys on TV hit, then I'll take easy everytime

What gear do you have in your bag

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hit my 3 hybrid, and hit a big intentional draw landing it short and running it onto the green. It must have impressed HTL as he duffed his next. Sadly I 3 putted but the shot was how I saw it and I executed perfectly. No way I'd have taken that on with a 3 iron.

172 yards hybrid with a draw! What was the loft 35*?

Freddie I like you, however, I also like wearing shorts in the summer and hitting my 20* CLK hybrid 220 yards even out of the toe.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You have to admit though mate not only did I call it before I hit it, but it was a beauty. Shame I putted like a muppet afterwards. Got your text btw so once your shiny new bats come through I'm up for that game. Get your form in early too so you can get in asap

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ever thought of learning to play what you have?

Nope - thats boring.

You still at work mate? I just woke up with the Mrs making me a bacon sarnie - Good Times! We will have to fix up a game in the new year.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Really sorry I am very grumpy at the moment been working seven days a week since mid OCT - The hybrid thing is how I feel but I have to learn not to give people a hard time as it aint going to change, and yes I would love everyone to go back to hicory shafts its how I beleive golf should be played

I currently play at Castletown Golf Links in the Isle of Man it is a tough course at times usually figures about 80th in the best courses in the BI and easily the best course over here my Current handicap is + 1.2

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Really sorry I am very grumpy at the moment been working seven days a week since mid OCT - The hybrid thing is how I feel but I have to learn not to give people a hard time as it aint going to change, and yes I would love everyone to go back to hicory shafts its how I beleive golf should be played

I currently play at Castletown Golf Links in the Isle of Man it is a tough course at times usually figures about 80th in the best courses in the BI and easily the best course over here my Current handicap is + 1.2

So to answer my question.....NO.

As I said your beliefs are flawed.No matter how you look at it you have got to your handicap helped by technology not despite it,try using hickorys and featheries and see how low you can go.. ;)

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Current clubs -
Driver Ping Rapture 9 degree
3 wood Sonartec GS tour 13 degree
either a 1 & 2 iron Mizuno MP37 DGX100 (changes depending on course)
MP32's DGX100
Vokey 52 & 60
Scotty Cameron pp midslant

But I would gladly give them all up and play properly with Hicory if every one else did - I can't play them if everyone elses equipment makes the game easier I have to be competitive.

Nikki

Head Pro
Visit site
Well, if the game is getting easier how come a old fart like watson can apply his old tricks and nearly win the open, when all the young tossers should be just trashing him.

And how come a lot of people at my club still can't hit a decent golf shot.
While they've have spent oodles on the most forgiving golf clubs in the world.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Well, if the game is getting easier how come a old fart like watson can apply his old tricks and nearly win the open, when all the young tossers should be just trashing him.

And how come a lot of people at my club still can't hit a decent golf shot.
While they've have spent oodles on the most forgiving golf clubs in the world.

You have answered your own question, Watson should not be able to compete and couldn't with out modern equipment, he hits the ball further now than he did in his prime.

But we are so far of the OP

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Times move on in every walk of life its called natural progression. Also if your struggling using your hybrid and your handicap is +1.2 i dont think i could give you any advice