Struggling with long back swing. How to shorten? Any good drills?

AdamW

Visit site
I have a massive back swing which is as long as John Dailey's and it is causing me massive inconsistentancy issues.

I have tried to shorten it but when I go back to watch the video it is still far too long.

Any good drills or other ideas to shorten it up?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I have a massive back swing which is as long as John Dailey's and it is causing me massive inconsistentancy issues.

I have tried to shorten it but when I go back to watch the video it is still far too long.

Not very technical…however…Try taking a 7i to the range and hitting it 100yds or less. You will instinctively use a shorter backswing and even then you might find you are still hitting the ball 135yds. Job done. 😋

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I struggled with the concept of shortening my swing. It’s completely unnatural for me. Instead I concentrate on a full rotation of my shoulders under my chin without any massive body lifts

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Swing into your washing line with an old club or middle iron.

use the pole to make it higher or lower get the line over your left shoulder ( right handed)
This will stop you going past parallel.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Try and point the club at the sky at the top of the backswing.
Or
Leave the backswing as it is but try and resist hitting the power too soon.

cunnini

Visit site
keep left arm straight in back swing (don't fold elbow) - and hit 75% power. Repeat, repeat repeat at the range

then on the course always pick one more club than you need and aim to swing 80%

ThinBullet

Visit site
I use a straighter left arm, but it's not as simple as just straightening it. I almost lock it in by pointing my left elbow at the target, then relax a wee bit. Physical limitations on flexibility help me, but it doesn't calm things down and I get a more controlled back swing. I don't hit the ball any less distance.

It's a feeling to be honest. I swing the club up to shoulder height and when I don't feel the weight of the club in my hands, I start my down swing. It's a micro second pause, but it feels like an age.

*EDIT*

I should add too that when I was having this issue last season, I dropped my left foot back opening my stance to target. It pretty much prevented me from over swinging in the back swing.

Last edited:

Barking_Mad

Visit site

Snap. I'm still struggling but the below might help...

1) So check your arms and chest turn together in the backswing, sometimes it's caused by the chest stopping turning and the arms continuing on.

2) Also check for a flying right elbow (if you're right handed. Get to the top of your swing (using a mirror or recording) and then tuck the elbow into your side and watch how this changes the angle of the club from across the line to more parallel. If this is the case you can do a drill by keeping your elbows closer together in the backswing. Your crease in your right arm at address should be facing up as if you're giving blood. Keep the two elbows close as you turn. Combine it with 1).

3) Your arm at the top of the backswing should be roughly parallel to that of your shoulders. Sometimes if your arms are above the shoulder line it can cause overswing.

4) If you're trying to shorten the swing really over exaggerate how short it needs to be. Feel is never real and you'd be surprised how long a short backswing actually is if you can watch it back.

FWIW my problem is once I shorten it I don't have the time to shallow the club, and I just get over the top. It makes me realise how crazy good Rahm's swing is when he fits that into such a short backswing.

Last edited: