Strong Grip

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Currently using a neutral grip with 2 knuckles showing on the left hand.

I'm thinking of changing to a strong grip to try and cure the fade in my swing.

Anybody have any opinions on the strong grip and "if" it could help cure a fade?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agree with the others, it's masking a possible fault rather than fixing it.

If you're not keen on spending time and money sorting it out then it might help but it might not. Some people say that moving their right foot back a couple of inches at address also helps but again it's not really a cure.

Best bet is a lesson if you're serious about curing it and improving. :)

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Thanks for the replies gents.

Ideally I would like to try a few more things before a lesson.

Hopefully it's something as simple as a grip issue and switching to a strong grip may help/stop it.

If it doesn't I'll look into a lesson for sure.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ref the OP, I know it's easy to say you want to try a few things before having a lesson but from the tens of things we might suggest on here, a pro will probably see in a matter of 2 minutes of watching your swing.

If you can put a video on here we can all have a look before you see a pro if it's what you want.

From my experience it's the swing path that creates a fade/slice in my swing and not the hands. If you release through the ball fine then it's swing plane not hands.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My grip would be the last thing i would chaange, its took me almost 2 years to get from a strong grip to a neutral grip. The worst of it was from the strong grip my swing path changed to help me get through the ball, now my biggest fault is swing patch thats costing £100's in lessons and range time to beat.

Why would you try and compensate a fault with another fault, when for the sake of 2 or 3 lessons you could fix the issue. your building a swing on bad foundations...... if the basics are wrong now what direction do you think your heading in. ;)

Just think how many card wreckers your going to have while trying you different things, and how many buckets of balls your going to have on the range trying stuff, it will outweigh the cost of a few lessons easy.