Stripes on Greens

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
Not sure if it’s me but there seems to be more and more clubs striping the greens, also on tv. I was always told by my head green keeper that stripes are for football pitches not greens. His theory was if u cut them with stripes the nap of the grass then creates different speeds depending on which way you putt and can also make ball bend if you go across them.
Anyone else noticed this and know what’s right or wrong ?
Have to say I have struggled with putt speed since we started.
Just a note when you watch video of Augusta they always cut them in one direction.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The nap on a putting green is so short (3-5mm) it will have virtually no effect on the ball. In addition many/most greens are 'ironed' these days.
I don't know what Augusta are cutting to but the unofficial stimp is reportedly upwards of 14.

D

Deleted member 1147

The nap on a putting green is so short (3-5mm) it will have virtually no effect on the ball. In addition many/most greens are 'ironed' these days.
I don't know what Augusta are cutting to but the unofficial stimp is reportedly upwards of 14.
Bermuda can create an effect based on the nap, but unlikely to be found over here.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Our greens are hand mowed, there’s always stripes. Woking too when I played there recently.

Downhill and down grain on holes like 9 and 18 and you’re off the green

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Nap is definitely a factor on several courses here and no stripes on the greens although I don't know if the two are linked
(the nap makes a noticeable difference to putts even for my standard of play)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nap is definitely a factor on several courses here and no stripes on the greens although I don't know if the two are linked
(the nap makes a noticeable difference to putts even for my standard of play)
Are you on Bermuda grass?
It appears that greens with Bermuda Grass will affect the direction of your putt more than any other type of grass growing on greens. When you golf in Hawaii or the Caribbean islands and tropical Florida you definitely need to read the Bermuda grass which is used on most of the greens.

https://golf.com/instruction/how-to-read-grain-on-bermuda-grass-greens/

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s not been a problem for me but last week it noticed. During the hot weather the club had left the greens longer and the nap was very evident. I watch someone miss a putt on what looked like 10 ish on the stimp only to leave the return 4ft short.

You could see the difference if you looked close enough

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Thanks for the link
I assume its Bermuda or similar but I can never remember even though I've asked more than once (its just not a detail I seem to be able to retain)
The growth being to the west is a good tip i didn't know (although makes sense since I was told the nap at one course was usually towards the clubhouse, which lies to the west)
I knew about the 'look at the hole' tip and used to do that but got out of the habit so hopefully re-reading it today will get me doing it again
On the dark/shiny tip, I just can't do it. I dunno if its because I always play in sunglasses or something else but its a detail I just cant see

2 day comp at the end of this month on a course with the toughest greens on the island (with the most noticeable nap) so reading that link is a useful refresh (y)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I assume its Bermuda or similar but I can never remember even though I've asked more than once (its just not a detail I seem to be able to retain)
Bermuda grass withstands drought and extreme heat, so perfect for putting greens with little shade or in topical areas.
Generally, bents and certain fescues are used over here. Grows extremely short and can be mowed even shorter.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Bermuda grass withstands drought and extreme heat, so perfect for putting greens with little shade or in topical areas.
Generally, bents and certain fescues are used over here. Grows extremely short and can be mowed even shorter.

Just had a google to recall the name and the other popular one here is Paspalum Dynasty although I've no idea how much of a nap it has when used on greens (local place has just changed the greens from Bermuda to Paspalum)

edit, and a couple of courses have Cynodin grass whatever that is (no wonder I can't remember these names after being told them ;))

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would expect where I pay to see the mower stripes.
It is done on a sit and ride mower and it would be too time consuming to do it with all cuts in the same direction.

I must be way out of touch, I only know of one course that irons their greens and that's only for big comps

We have a lot of bent grass in the mix and we often use a turf iron to flatten the greens

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Check out the photos that J55TTC has posted on the Pictures section from Woking GC - they are very stripey greens , and look great :)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would expect where I pay to see the mower stripes.
It is done on a sit and ride mower and it would be too time consuming to do it with all cuts in the same direction.
We have a lot of bent grass in the mix and we often use a turf iron to flatten the greens
I would guess it is Agrostis stolonifera or Creeping Bent which tends to grow horizontally. But it is likely there is a high proportion of Festuca rubra ssp (Red Fescue).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would guess it is Agrostis stolonifera or Creeping Bent which tends to grow horizontally. But it is likely there is a high proportion of Festuca rubra ssp (Red Fescue).

Our greens were laid down in the between the 1st and 2nd world wars and have a big mix of grasses. The addition of bent is fairly new thing.