Strange Amazon Delivery

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really weird exchange at our door today.

Guy rings bell after failing to get parcel through postbox.

I take delivery and sign for (bit unusual so I fluff the signature). Also not for the names person on the package so hopefully useless to them.

He also asks for DoB which I refuse to give.

So now I have taken delivery right?

So the guy proceeds to say there is an issue with the order and he needs to take it back to the depot.

I refuse and say we can confirm it’s correct and start a return if it it’s wrong. After 5 mins he gives up and moves on. I played along like I felt for him having issues while still refusing to give parcel back.

Delivery of item turns out to be correct and no mention of issues on website.

I assume it was a scam but why try it over a £5 kids book on how to tell the time?

Update: He came back to ask for DoB, again refused. He also tried it with neighbours across they way but without the incorrect package part, just the DoB and other details.

Really scary stuff!

Last edited:

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been asked for dob before but thats when buying alcohol related items and i recognised the courier so wasnt really suspicious, but that does sound a bit iffy

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Amazon sell items you need to be over 18 to buy. Usually chemicals and anything someone might get a bit stabby with. These need people to produce ID when delivered. Obviously some of us are well past the days of needing to show ID to prove we are over 18, but the delivery system asks the driver to state which ID was given. Some ask for a DOB so to confirm the driver has acquired said ID.

These systems aren't 100% perfect so the driver may have been informed he needed to see some ID. A lot of these guys are under a serious amount of pressure, which will only get worse as we head towards Christmas. He's probably just flapping knowing he's getting some agro.

Not quite sure how this equates to being really scary.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
bought some security cameras from Amazon last week. Had a look last night and they had reduced them by £35. Started a chat with them and asked them if they would refund me the difference as I thought that was their policy. Turns out they scrapped that policy a few years ago.

They refused the refund, so I said I would return the cameras for a full refund, and buy again at the lower price. They said that's fine and helped me with the returns label. So spent this morning taking down the old cameras, packing them up and sending them off. Then ordered a new set which is arriving tonight. Utter madness!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Amazon delivered a set of ear defenders and safety glasses to me this afternoon. The parcel had my name and address on it but I hadn't ordered them. I've checked my account and nothing is on there. There is no paperwork in with the order.

I've let them know but I suspect it is simple human error. So many parcels being shipped right now. Whether in the warehouse, delivery hub, delivery driver, it's silly season for them right now.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Last week, her in doors ordered a new toaster from Amazon, we have prime so within 24 hrs a parcel arrived, wife took it in and just left it for me to open.
I said to her that’s a very small box, opened it up and found a pair of hair straighteners, costing over £100, so called them and they said they would resend toaster and pick up the other item (we are both self isolating so can’t post)
Toaster arrived, all correct this time but driver refused to pick up the other item, called Amazon and they said just put it to one side and will arrange pick up after the Christmas rush is over.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Amazon sell items you need to be over 18 to buy.

These systems aren't 100% perfect so the driver may have been informed he needed to see some ID. A lot of these guys are under a serious amount of pressure, which will only get worse as we head towards Christmas. He's probably just flapping knowing he's getting some agro.

That sounds quite possible, when you think of it that way it does make sense. I hadn’t thought of it like that but knowing what the item was I was never going to give DoB.

If the other neighbours hadn’t had the same issue I would probably have looked past it but they had the same thing, could be all his orders had the error! Poor guy!

I do feel a little bad if that was the case, I never got angry with him and did apologise but we can’t give a parcel back if we have taken receipt. Amazon have confirmed ID and signature were not required, it was a child’s book on how to tell time!

I am sure it will get sorted out at the depot end but you can never be too careful with personal information. If I was told ahead of time I needed to give it I would have done willingly!

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
bought some security cameras from Amazon last week. Had a look last night and they had reduced them by £35. Started a chat with them and asked them if they would refund me the difference as I thought that was their policy. Turns out they scrapped that policy a few years ago.

They refused the refund, so I said I would return the cameras for a full refund, and buy again at the lower price. They said that's fine and helped me with the returns label. So spent this morning taking down the old cameras, packing them up and sending them off. Then ordered a new set which is arriving tonight. Utter madness!

Couldn't you have just left them up and sent the new ones back? Or did they have identifiers on the box?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
5 minutes to take them down, 5 minutes to pack them up, 2 mins to drop off at local shop.

Its a popular enough request & prices will change from time to time, but to be fair you did originally say :

spent this morning taking down the old cameras, packing them up and sending them off

Quite a difference in time spent for the £35 return. 12 minutes (x2) seems like its worth it. Spending a morning... not so much

Weirdly in my experience no one has ever called up to make an additional payment when a price goes up :unsure::sneaky:

Dibby

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Amazon delivered a set of ear defenders and safety glasses to me this afternoon. The parcel had my name and address on it but I hadn't ordered them. I've checked my account and nothing is on there. There is no paperwork in with the order.

I've let them know but I suspect it is simple human error. So many parcels being shipped right now. Whether in the warehouse, delivery hub, delivery driver, it's silly season for them right now.

More likely to be a scam for a fake review. It's called "brushing", basically a seller creates fake accounts with real peoples details, orders a load of items using those accounts and then is able to create a "verified purchase" review.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
More likely to be a scam for a fake review. It's called "brushing", basically a seller creates fake accounts with real peoples details, orders a load of items using those accounts and then is able to create a "verified purchase" review.
I've not heard of that before. Makes sense (y)