Mortgage ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My neighbours are splitting up and selling their house, worth approx £240, 000.
Any ideas how much would a 25 year monthly mortgage be, for one to buy out the other.
I'm hoping the guy will buy it, if the payments aren't too high.
He cuts the grass and is quite handy Lol.

Very hard to guage without knowing how much mortgage is left on the property etc

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My neighbours are splitting up and selling their house, worth approx £240, 000.
Any ideas how much would a 25 year monthly mortgage be, for one to buy out the other.
I'm hoping the guy will buy it, if the payments aren't too high.
He cuts the grass and is quite handy Lol.

You can jump on right move / Zoopla and they have a repayment calculator on there. A lot will depend on equity and affordability that will dictate available rates.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…and depending upon their ages (nearing retirement?) and circumstances such as ongoing income up to, then into and through retirement - they could consider interest only as that massively reduces monthly payment. Still leaves the capital to be paid off at some point in time, but that need not be when it would matter to either.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
…and depending upon their ages (nearing retirement?) and circumstances such as ongoing income up to, then into and through retirement - they could consider interest only as that massively reduces monthly payment. Still leaves the capital to be paid off at some point in time, but that need not be when it would matter to either.
I'll suggest that to him, both aged about 50.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Most big lenders often will not lend beyond state retirement age so calculate a 15 year mortgage not a 25 year one.

I had to find somebody willing to do a lifetime mortgage when mine needed to be paid off when I reached state retirement age.
Not found that to be an issue tbh. I'm mortgaged to 72, no problem getting a good choice either via my advisor.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not found that to be an issue tbh. I'm mortgaged to 72, no problem getting a good choice either via my advisor.
Likewise our mortgage advisor didn’t seem to have any issues getting us a 5yr fixed rate mortgage two years ago with us both 60+. It was provided on basis of no existing mortgage; guaranteed pension-only income; and the subsequent amount of equity in the property. I’m not concerned about what we’ll do in three yrs time, and not bothered about paying it off. If we choose to pay it off at some point we’ll look to do that. Otherwise it’ll get paid off when the house is sold.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m not concerned about what we’ll do in three yrs time, and not bothered about paying it off. If we choose to pay it off at some point we’ll look to do that. Otherwise it’ll get paid off when the house is sold.
Therein lay the problem for me existing lender insisted on the mortgage I had at the time being paid off.
Already being on pensions may have been part of the problem for getting a new 'standard' mortgage.

I went with a lifetime fixed (equity release) mortgage in the end.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Therein lay the problem for me existing lender insisted on the mortgage I had at the time being paid off.
Already being on pensions may have been part of the problem for getting a new 'standard' mortgage.

I went with a lifetime fixed (equity release) mortgage in the end.
Must check conditions of loan to see if the lender will require us to clear the loan at the end of the period using equity in property or will be willing to let us go onto a new product. ER remains a possibility I’m not frightened of.