Stopped after 25 years

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Today I stopped doing the National lottery after 25 years
I have had the same numbers for the whole time.
My biggest win was £104
The reason
I read the story of the guy that won 9.7 million where he paid Liverpool gangsters 130k when they threatened to cut up his daughter.
Wether true or not I’ve decided I don’t want to win a vast amount of money.
We as a family are very happy in a comfortable position.
Money can change people and I don’t want that problem in my life.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Shocking if that's a true story and you'd think with that money he'd be able to move away from the trouble. It would be nice for a win to make life comfy but not sure I could cope with some of the vast amounts won

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shocking if that's a true story and you'd think with that money he'd be able to move away from the trouble. It would be nice for a win to make life comfy but not sure I could cope with some of the vast amounts won
I've thought for a long time that the wins should be capped at £25m. It's still a huge amount but not the mind blowing amount that some win now.

I like the new game where you can win £10k per month for 30 years. It somehow seems less manic, less extreme.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Today I stopped doing the National lottery after 25 years
I have had the same numbers for the whole time.
My biggest win was £104
The reason
I read the story of the guy that won 9.7 million where he paid Liverpool gangsters 130k when they threatened to cut up his daughter.
Wether true or not I’ve decided I don’t want to win a vast amount of money.
We as a family are very happy in a comfortable position.
Money can change people and I don’t want that problem in my life.
The bloke in question sounds like a complete prick and tbf its a silly reason to stop doing the lotto.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
What I can't understand are the big winners who go for publicity. You see them in the local press spraying Champagne about & announcing how much they've won. If it was me, nobody would know.
Yeah I’d make my Ferrari look like a focus.
& my castle look like a Semi.
Proper keep it in the down low.

Dellboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As soon as someone wins, the location would be almost impossible to keep a secret, even the shop the ticket is sold from is informed, then all it takes is someone to sell a story to the local paper and everybody knows.
The papers may not be able to print your name but it will soon be know by all.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
What I can't understand are the big winners who go for publicity. You see them in the local press spraying Champagne about & announcing how much they've won. If it was me, nobody would know.

It wouldn't surprise me if such mega winners didn't come under a degree of pressure (even if subliminal) from Camelot to go public.

Something really simple like... "it's sometimes difficult to keep a lid on these things and there's always someone trying to dig for info and find out who's won. So sometimes it's better if you at least have control over how the news gets out and you can do that by going public under our guidance".

After all.. Its in Camelots interest to promote like helll all the big wins and what better advertising than to parade the winners with a big cheque and a bottle of cheap bubbly in from of the nine o'clock news.

User20204

Visit site
As above, I think there is good reason for going public as they will be given clear guidance of the pitfalls either way and often going public may actually be the easier option in the long run.

Sure I seen a programme on it years ago but my memory isn't the best so could be my imagination.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
As soon as someone wins, the location would be almost impossible to keep a secret, even the shop the ticket is sold from is informed, then all it takes is someone to sell a story to the local paper and everybody knows.
The papers may not be able to print your name but it will soon be know by all.
If you buy online, I do, then the only people who know you have won are a few bods at Camelot and you. No one needs to be aware of your location outside of that small circle.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
As above, I think there is good reason for going public as they will be given clear guidance of the pitfalls either way and often going public may actually be the easier option in the long run.

Sure I seen a programme on it years ago but my memory isn't the best so could be my imagination.

You don't need to go public to get advice. They will offer it anyway.