Selling a property?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Don't knock the 'empty property' syndrome, there are an awful lot of places sold off plan.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Whilst I don't disagree entirely with a lot of what's been said I would not get too hung up on presenting/setting house for sale. Good buyers can use their imagination and see beyond an empty house. I would indeed undercut them and make it clear you are looking for a quick sale and it is for this reason that you are offering the property at this price.

Bottom line - the house will sell for what it's worth in the long term. For a quick sale you need luck (someone looking for what your selling at that specific time) or you sell it for less than it's worth.

I have bought/renovated/sold over 30 homes

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
If its a 2 bed flat and the second is a double, get a double bed in there, even borrow one from your own house, friend etc. Saves buyers looking at an empty room and trying to guess whether it fits, same with the other rooms, borrow some basics if you can, sofa, beds, table and chairs etc..

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As you are selling, are you aware that you require an energy performance certificate (EPC) ?
As for presentation, I agree with having some furniture would be best. The vast majority of buyers search online and don’t view in person as much these days as you see floor plans room sizes and pictures. With the pictures it is hard to get a visual reference in a room without furniture. So a bed in the bedroom would show how much space is left around it. Like wise a table or sofa in the living space. Preferably don’t put large beds tables and sofas in.
People will dismiss properties much easier without viewing now.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a quick update, the missus over ruled me and wanted it on the market asap so it's empty apart from the hoover in a cupboard lol.
It went on the market on Thursday and we had two viewings this morning, just had some feedback from the estate agents, one person from earlier has booked a second viewing for Monday afternoon so fingers crossed. I can feel a new set of irons coming on if it goes through :giggle:

Another quick one, the place has an alarm but we haven't used it for years, I don't even know the code so it's kind of useless as is. Would it be wise to mention it and offer to replace it or don't bother?
My gut feeling is I'd hate to buy a place you think is alarmed only to realise it doesn't work. I can fit one myself no problem so it won't cost the world.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't you find out the code for the alarm? If not you need to say the alarm isn't working. You'd have to give the code to new owners anyway.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a quick update, the missus over ruled me and wanted it on the market asap so it's empty apart from the hoover in a cupboard lol.
It went on the market on Thursday and we had two viewings this morning, just had some feedback from the estate agents, one person from earlier has booked a second viewing for Monday afternoon so fingers crossed. I can feel a new set of irons coming on if it goes through :giggle:

Another quick one, the place has an alarm but we haven't used it for years, I don't even know the code so it's kind of useless as is. Would it be wise to mention it and offer to replace it or don't bother?
My gut feeling is I'd hate to buy a place you think is alarmed only to realise it doesn't work. I can fit one myself no problem so it won't cost the world.
PM sent

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site

With any stuff that doesn't work, when you do the handover document listing what is included in the sale (cant remember its proper name!), don't tick the alarm box. easiest way out of it. I found this out the hard way and didn't notice the extractor fan wasn't listed on our new house, then go to use it and realise why! it was broken.

Leave it up to the buyer to sort,

D

Deleted Member 1156

Normally they have a show house though don’t they? To show what it could look like
Sometimes but not always. Tends to depend on whether it's a big national chain or small local developer.