Aluminium windows

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We are a uPVC window house.. in the extension, we may go aluminium for the bifold/bay window.. haven’t looked at the costs yet. In her wisdom Mrs suggests changing ALL windows to aluminium. Short of winning the lottery I m not sure how we will afford it, but anyone here knows price difference between Aluminium and uPVC. Also is there any benefit other than thinner profiles. I am thinking triple glazing rather than double

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m sure that aluminium frames suffer with condensation in really cold weather. Although the newer ones might be ok.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
My old flat had all metal window frames and what they were really good for was condensation in winter. Cold bridging.
The estates FB group is full of pictures of it and the resulting mould every winter.
Granted, that’s 25 year old frames by now and the technology will have moved on, but I would be wary at this point.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Beezerk is the expert on frames in terms of quality, what to go for etc👍

I don’t really work with aluminium I’m purely a plastics guy 🤣
Bifolds you’re looking at roughly 1k per section/metre, had a chat about them with a customer last week funnily enough, he reckoned they can get a bit drafty after they’ve had some use, not really sure how gospel that is though.
If I renewed my windows next week I’d definitely be going for the latest and greatest triple glazed units but…every window now has to have a vent in it by law so you have super duper thermal retention windows with a massive hole in the top for air flow 🤦🏻

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’m sure that aluminium frames suffer with condensation in really cold weather. Although the newer ones might be ok.
Legislation has it that all new windows and external doors must be fitted with trickle vents, and i think that that helps on the condensation front. Oops … that’ll be what @Beezerk has advised above. Certainly seems to work for the new aluminium windows and bifolds of our new extension.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Builder friend of mine says he wouldn't have bi-folds. He had them in a previous house, and after a few years they started to drop and wear on the bearings/wheels.
They are fine when new, but troublesome after a while he says.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If the bifolds are of any size ie more than 2 doors id definitely go aluminium not upvc, had both in last 5 years or so and night and day difference in quality and reliability of the ones we had

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Builder friend of mine says he wouldn't have bi-folds. He had them in a previous house, and after a few years they started to drop and wear on the bearings/wheels.

In fairness they have improved quite significantly in the last few years, they’re probably one of the most popular upgrades now and the last thing window companies want is masses of recall work.
Saying that I wouldn’t get any but that’s because I’m too tight 🤣

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Legislation has it that all new windows and external doors must be fitted with trickle vents, and i think that that helps on the condensation front. Oops … that’ll be what @Beezerk has advised above. Certainly seems to work for the new aluminium windows and bifolds of our new extension.
Our extension will have the kitchen and I want a way to get fresh air in .. esp during cooking, so that the exhaust/hood can drive out the smells

Was at the showroom and saw the vents.. the sales guy was saying the trickle vents are too small for ventilation, their main purpose is condensation

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Our extension will have the kitchen and I want a way to get fresh air in .. esp during cooking, so that the exhaust/hood can drive out the smells

Was at the showroom and saw the vents.. the sales guy was saying the trickle vents are too small for ventilation, their main purpose is condensation
Def not for ventilation.

We could not duct from the cooker hood so had to go air recirculating. Not the best we accept but in truth it seems to work pretty well as cooking smells do seem to be mostly in the kitchen part of the room. If there is much in the way of strong smells generated or smoke from such as a steak we have an external door into the kitchen area that we open slightly…no different from opening a window tbh.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
That will probably be down to not fitting correctly.
As with standard doors they can drop over time if not toe & heel right.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Living in a conservation area we had no choice but to go to metal on the front of the house as they had to be the same design as existing windows but were allowed PVC on the rear.

The windows were install around 1990

The ally ones suffer from the white coating flaking off during the years, there is a degree of condensation on the inside of the frames and as a result they are prone to black mould. They are much better looking as they have a much slimmer profile.

The PVC ones suffer from the outside surfaces greying and have a much wider profile.

What is frustrating is that we were the first in the close to go for DG and many of the neighbours doing the same in more recent years have PVC on the front.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Living in a conservation area we had no choice but to go to metal on the front of the house as they had to be the same design as existing windows but were allowed PVC on the rear.

The windows were install around 1990

The ally ones suffer from the white coating flaking off during the years, there is a degree of condensation on the inside of the frames and as a result they are prone to black mould. They are much better looking as they have a much slimmer profile.

The PVC ones suffer from the outside surfaces greying and have a much wider profile.

What is frustrating is that we were the first in the close to go for DG and many of the neighbours doing the same in more recent years have PVC on the front.
Ali windows have come a long way since 1990.
Most have a pvc core & a thermal break.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
a fair bit of lightening around last night.... silly Q... just like not playing golf when there is thunder & lightening around... should one stay away from aluminum windows?