Sticking with your putter through thick & thin

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just two... and just dropped the old one back in for this weekend after having a Win fat grip fitted to it so I can see how it performs

john0

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A putter is like a woman....you will never find a perfect one so you just need to keep changing them about and have some fun in the process :p

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
As you will see from my signature, I have a vast collection of putters, all of which worked really well on the practice green until I actually handed over money for them!

My two go to putters are a Yes Victoria mallet and an Odyssey White Hot No 7 Fang. They are both face balanced, shortened to 33" and fitted with oversize grips. I tend to use the Yes in Winter because it is a bit heavier and the Odyssey in Summer.

Putting is such an important part of the game (too important in my view), that it is worth spending a bit of time and money on your putter, because about 40% of your shots will be played with it. It doesn't matter how good the rest of game is, you won't be better than 18 handicap if you 3-putt every green! I am a reasonably steady player, so the score I get in any particular round is usually dependent on how well I putt on the day. I usually have more 1-putts than 3-putts and average about 32 putts per round. :)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
As you will see from my signature, I have a vast collection of putters, all of which worked really well on the practice green until I actually handed over money for them!

My two go to putters are a Yes Victoria mallet and an Odyssey White Hot No 7 Fang. They are both face balanced, shortened to 33" and fitted with oversize grips. I tend to use the Yes in Winter because it is a bit heavier and the Odyssey in Summer.

Putting is such an important part of the game (too important in my view), that it is worth spending a bit of time and money on your putter, because about 40% of your shots will be played with it. It doesn't matter how good the rest of game is, you won't be better than 18 handicap if you 3-putt every green! I am a reasonably steady player, so the score I get in any particular round is usually dependent on how well I putt on the day. I usually have more 1-putts than 3-putts and average about 32 putts per round. :)

Agree with the first part but disagree with the second

I'd have thought that if you spend the time correctly it'll actually keep the cost of putter/s down

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Agree with the first part but disagree with the second

I'd have thought that if you spend the time correctly it'll actually keep the cost of putter/s down
You don't see many pros, or even decent amateurs, playing with cheap and nasty putters! :rolleyes:

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've had three putters so far, best one was a £10 job I picked up in AG. The highly acclaimed Fazer golf brand! Have stuck with my Odyssey for years (although there is a substantial amount of time out of golf) but am considering a new one soon. Typically, every time I decide to buy a new one mine starts behaving again!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You don't see many pros, or even decent amateurs, playing with cheap and nasty putters! :rolleyes:

'Cheap' and 'nasty' are not mutually exclusive

There are many inexpensive yet very effective putters out there

Oh & Del stop rolling your eyes after you post, you'll do yourself an injury

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I recently moved from a Odyssey White Hot Pro 2CS to an Odyssey Tank #1.

Not because I was a bad putter (... Far from it), but I was more curious to see how they performed against a 'normal' putter.

After 3 weeks of practice and play, the 2CS was punted and the Tank took it's place in the bag.

What have I gained from the change. Well, stability is one thing for sure, but the main thing I've gained is holing more putts and the ones that miss never end up far away.

Will it last? Who knows.

Will it stay in the bag? For the foreseeable future for sure.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
I have 4 putters and think a change is sometimes as good as a rest. I putt very naturally and not mechanically following the "your brain will work it out" method and just trusting it. Putt pretty well with all/any of them but do have the one that I go back to.....it's the one that I won the newest one with in a putting comp!

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got custom fitted for my putter and it was the best thing I ever did. My putting as improved massively and is no longer the weakest part of my game. I certainly won't be changing the one I have now unless it breaks.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I change putters fairly regularly however I am well aware that my failings are my own and not the putters.....however doesn't hurt to have something else to blame!

Currently switching between a Scotty Cameron Futura X Dual Balance and Scotty Cameron Golo S5 Putter. Also have an Odyssey Tank Cruiser sat in the garage waiting for one of the others to stop performing.....

Scrindle

Head Pro
Visit site
I used to use a Yes! Sandy 12 putter. Mallet type head and a metal insert from what I recall.

I always wanted to try a blade, however. Managed to pick up a Mizuno Bettinardi C01 blade butter in near perfect condition on an eBay auction cheaply. No marks other than a small nick in the hosel. No marks or wearing on the milled face. The guy was selling it because he 'couldn't get on with it' and kept pulling putts.

When it arrived I noticed that the grip was about 8 or 9 degrees right of alignment with the face!! Changed the grip to a super stroke (I have a tendency to be wristy). Absolutely love it. Putting and sinking more putts than ever.

I therefore think it might be a bit of both.

I have had no putting lessons so, barring a miraculous overnight technique improvement, the blade may be better suited to my putting stroke? Being confident with the thing probably means I hit the ball more authoritatively than previously?

I don't know, but I will not be changing it until it wears out.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been back to my Odyssey 2 Ball for a month or two now, really loving it. Could do with a new one as it feels a bit soggy off the face but it's like an old pair of slippers I can't put away :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Got the Ping Cadence. Mirror image of my old Anser and so tempted to put it in the bag tomorrow but it's winter league quarter final with Ads749r and really don't want to let him down more than my dodgy game will already. Not playing Sunday so may have to wait to christen it (or maybe I'll just risk it)

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
'Cheap' and 'nasty' are not mutually exclusive

There are many inexpensive yet very effective putters out there

Oh & Del stop rolling your eyes after you post, you'll do yourself an injury
The Odyssey putter that I own was bought second hand on eBay for not a lot. It is still a decent well made putter in good condition with a head cover. You pay for quality, otherwise everyone would be playing with £10 putters! I find it amusing that golfers will happily spend £350+ on the latest driver, which they probably not use more than 10 times a round, but begrudge spending money on a putter that they will use 30+ times a round!