Sticking with your putter through thick & thin

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
A lot of golfers seem to change putters more regularly than other clubs in the bag, with the possible exception of drivers as far as I can see, and it always amazes me that some of the Pros in particular do this a lot.

Not sure what Mickelson is using currently although I think it's pretty "normal", but when he used to have that Klingon Battle Cruiser thing on a stick and those other weird and wonderful ones a few years back my flabber was well and truly gasted.

One of my regular partners has enough putters to open a putter shop and always swears that his most recent acquisition "is the one. Oh yeah, deffos! he asserts" So far though it never has been.

The putter has always seemed to me to be a lot less 'sciency' than some other clubs because of the relative gentility of the mechanics of what we ask it to do. We don't slosh it around at 110mph and its movement during the stroke is calm and slow. Surely highfalutin NASA style aerodynamics and other high-tech considerations aren't as important as we are told by the manufactures that they are with the other bats we carry.

My own putter, a simple blade Ping Sedona, was bought for me by herself when I took up the game seriously 16 years ago, and although when I'm getting a bit iffy on the greens sometimes I think of maybe changing it, so far I have not succumbed to temptation. Not even when last year I won a Scotty Cameron Newport in the Pro's raffle. At a list price of nearly £300 quid then such a thing of glamorous slickness and the zenith of sporting engineering could never miss the hole, could it? It was close and I was tested to the limit but in the end I left the cellophane on and chopped it in for £200 which went a long way to funding my Callaway X2 Hots instead.

Me and the Ping have been through a lot good times and some bad. But on the whole it's seen me right and holed one or two biggies for me. I believe that it's rarely the club (any club really) that's at fault. It's more likely to be the person on the other end of it.

Do you allow your head to be turned by temptation or are you in a long-term relationship with your own short stick? (not a euphemism btw)

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am on my third putter, the first one cost less than a tenner, the second had an insert face which eventually broke.

My latest putter will be with me for life (well its life anyway) as we are a perfect match. Any downs are due to my lack of practice and can be fixed with a little V-Easy time on the carpet at home or the putting green.

I guess pros would change for better money, they are more than capable to cope with a brand change. My game would never hold up to that variation.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I've had a few putters over the years and recently, on the pro's advice,bought a new one. I then had a session on a SAM putting lab and the results have been enlightening and I've definitely improved my putting results in recent weeks.

If you're into the science of it I suggest a SAM session

dontfancythisputt

Club Champion
Visit site
If money was no object id probably dabble a bit with the latest models but Ive only really had 2 putters, first eventually broke after about 10 years. 2nd was a cheap ebay purchase that I twiddled with so that it had a similar feel and weight to the first. Had some great putting with both so my head constantly tells me that bad putting is not the putters fault and I end up sticking with it.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had steady, year on year progress (small improvements) with my putter until last year. But i shall be sticking with it rather than looking for something else.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I guess pros would change for better money, they are more than capable to cope with a brand change. My game would never hold up to that variation.

Putter is very often not included in Pro deals as it is recognised to be very personal! TM does like to have a 'whole bag' deal though and Sergio has probably tried every TM Putter available!

It looks like the OP found 'his' putter straight away - similar style to Mickelson, who is a bit of a dabbler, too. It took me quite a while to find mine - which I realised I had encountered early in my 'collecting' days - but the current one has been pretty much in the bag for nearly 10 years!

Rumpokid

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In answer to the question i guess it depends on how many good times you have had with said putter.If bad outweigh good, maybe time for change...(Not sure if thick or thin is the good bit though)..;)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Have a rep on here as one of many who have been through multiple putters over the years, currently am happy with the Ketsch and not even looked at another for a while, but invariably when I go through a bad spell the wand gets the blame and the boot!

Whilst Ive tried lots and lots of putters over the years only 3 or 4 have spent more than a few rounds in the bag, I just take a while to settle on one I like when I do change. Try lots out but very few stick around for long and most are resold pretty quickly

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have had more putters than hot dinners. And I love a good pie.

Current culprit: Nike Method Core Drone (see Klingon Battle Cruiser)...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Waiting on my latest to arrive at the door. yes they all do the same thing, just a little bit differently.

Sometimes I like 34 inch putters, especially if its windy but have a preference for 35inch this last year or so.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've had numerous putters but now only have my original Ping Anser 2, my Odyssey Protype #9 and brand new Ping Cadence Anser style #2. The latter is a new arrival for the new season and to pander to my hankering for something more traditional looking. It performed ok vs the Scotty Cameron's on trial today but not been used in anger yet

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have two putters which rotate depending on their behaviour. One is heavier than the other so I tend to use the heavier one in winter. Psychologically it helps me to have a spare so if I am struggling I swap.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Waiting on my latest to arrive at the door. yes they all do the same thing, just a little bit differently.

Sometimes I like 34 inch putters, especially if its windy but have a preference for 35inch this last year or so.

What you get Gary? I'm tempted at the moment aswell....

Had loads of different putters, just like trying different ones out.

Tank Cruiser I've had about 8 months now, will take some shifting to be fair.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A Mizuno t 301 waiting for it to be refurbished. felt great before it went but was in need of much TLC. should look sweet by the time your man is finished with it.

Scotty Cameron

Head Pro
Visit site
Bought a Ping Isopur when I first started playing, lasted about 3 moth as I just couldn't get on with it. Then went the whole hog and bought a Scotty, never looked back since. I now have two and select whichever one suits the speed of the greens, fast greens I tend to use my Tel3, normal greens and the prototype comes out to play.

I'm not too keen on the modern putters with all the bells, whistles, extensions and so on, they all seem to look like spaceships to me :D

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My Yes "Tracy" putter has stayed with me through many club changes. It't the one constant in my bag and I won't change it.
I think over all the years I've been playing I've only ever had 4 putters, two of those were cheapies, one snapped at the shaft and the other rusted away.
I bought an MD putter before deciding on the Yes some years ago and I love it to bits.