Stick to the rules!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
another one of the STUPID rules we should get rid of,as i have posted before it is all semantics,who would penalise someone for being friendly and encouraging someone who is having a bad round,if i was pulled for saying "take your time" to a fellow golfer who was struggling and having a poor game and started to rush their shots i would tell them to F-OFF put my clubs in the bag and walk off,is golf not a gentleman's game played with trust and hopefully a friendly manner.

you can't get rid of a rule that doesn't exist...........

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the original comment on this advice rule was a little tongue in cheek. Although 'take your time' could be argued as giving advice. I doubt anyone would really apply the penalty.

Patrick, it's fast becoming the 2nd biggest myth in golf via these forums!

6inchcup

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
we had a long debate regarding the use of "take your time" a few weeks ago and the consensus was that it was giving advice,unless you said"IF IT WAS ME i would take my time"

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
No Fox, it's not the fact that it's breach that I dont understand it's why its not alright to say "take your time" but ok to say 'We've got plenty of time' is if there's any real difference - and yes, I do understand the difference !

'Take your time' is advice (an breaches a rule).
'We've got plenty of time' is a statement of fact, bot advice. Statements of fact don't breach any rule.. Remember, you can actually tell a fellow competitor the line (except on the green). And also specify the options available if player declares ball unplayable - just not advise them to do so, nor which option to take.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
please advise how this statement will influence

1. the players choice of how to play (go for it, safe, lag, drop etc)
2. his choice of club
3. his method of play

please...

Rushed or relaxed.

It's still advice! Same as 'Put a good swing on it' is - as if anyone would try to make a bad swing! Or 'get it to the hole' on a (short) putt!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rushed or relaxed.

It's still advice! Same as 'Put a good swing on it' is - as if anyone would try to make a bad swing! Or 'get it to the hole' on a (short) putt!

doesn't really meet up with the concept of 'method of play' :)

you are entitled to your opinion, but that doesn't make it a rule - in the same way that my opinion voiced here doesn't mean it isn't.

Patrick57

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm inclined to favour John Paramor's opinion - that it's the most commonly broken rule.

I disagree, I believe one of the three in the OP are broken more often.

Another rule that is often abused is the marking and exact replacement of the ball on the putting green.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I disagree, I believe one of the three in the OP are broken more often. Nothing personal - but I'd believe anything Big John told me

Another rule that is often abused is the marking and exact replacement of the ball on the putting green. Effectively broken every time you mark and pick up.

If John Paramore says it's the most commonly broken rule then as far as I'm concerned it is - and anyway it's kind of irrelevent as to which is most broken.

And I'd defy ANYONE to replace their ball EXACTLY in the same spot that they picked it up from

Patrick57

Head Pro
Visit site
If John Paramore says it's the most commonly broken rule then as far as I'm concerned it is - and anyway it's kind of irrelevent as to which is most broken.

And I'd defy ANYONE to replace their ball EXACTLY in the same spot that they picked it up from

Yes, exactly was perhaps the wrong word.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
please advise how this statement will influence

1. the players choice of how to play (go for it, safe, lag, drop etc)
2. his choice of club
3. his method of play

please...

Only my opinion but...

The most often time this statement is used is over a short putt.
What is really meant is "Don't risk missing it by not taking it seriously".

1. It could influence a player to take a proper stance and stroke instead of reaching over with one hand to tap it in, or take a proper stance instead of on one leg.

2. Far less likely but it could make someone think twice about blading it in with a wedge after chipping instead of getting the putter out.

3. It might persuade a player to mark the ball to check nothing is underneath before they play, or even mark and wait their turn.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only my opinion but...

The most often time this statement is used is over a short putt.
What is really meant is "Don't risk missing it by not taking it seriously".

1. It could influence a player to take a proper stance and stroke instead of reaching over with one hand to tap it in, or take a proper stance instead of on one leg.

2. Far less likely but it could make someone think twice about blading it in with a wedge after chipping instead of getting the putter out.

3. It might persuade a player to mark the ball to check nothing is underneath before they play, or even mark and wait their turn.

I have never said it cannot be advice, in fact I have quoted similar examples to these and others that would constitute advice.

However, and supported by the last 4 games I played when I monitored this (a range of situations from club match, society and seniors board comp medal), the vast majority (every one in this case) were an almost automated response to the practice of holing out. The words 'I'll just finish that' would get the response 'take your time' nearly every time - regardless of the nature of the final putt.

It was as automatic as most European language responses 'Thank You' - 'You're welcome'; it has no meaning.

As such I do not see it constituting advice in such situations. A quick check with a few ROs worldwide provided a response consistent with this. JP is obviously a little busy right now but if you go back to the thread which seemingly started all this off here you will see that the original question posed related to tour offense's - and, frankly, there is no chance of any tour player making such a comment to another player in any situation; so something is 'wrong' before we even get to exactly what JP said to TXL, and in response to what.