Steve Hodge in line for £4m

Don Barzini

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nice that a player from an era that didn't pay well is finally getting a payday. Good on him!

My first thought too. Wasn't it Neil Webb who got a job as a postie after he retired? Can't imagine many of today's top flight players needing to do that when they retire!

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I thought the opposite...and it was milking it to the extreme. They were all paid well in relative terms, and had an easy life in comparison to everyone else around then.

phillarrow

Visit site
I thought the opposite...and it was milking it to the extreme. They were all paid well in relative terms, and had an easy life in comparison to everyone else around then.

Genuine question - Were they paid well? And in relative terms to whom/what?

I've no idea how much these guys from the early to mid 80s earned weekly, but was it enough to retire on after a 10 year career? I was going to mention Neil Webb but someone beat me to it - I can't imagine he became a postman purely because of a love of walking?
Does this not suggest that they weren't paid especially well - given that they were the very best footballers in the country and could have won a World Cup with a little better luck?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure players were that well paid in the 80's. Definitely better than the decades before but perhaps aside from the very top players of that decade (Barnes, Lineker etc) I doubt too many club professionals were paid well enough to evert have to worry about money again. According to google Hodge has been doing motivational speaking so clearly had a need for another role and whatever he gets from the shirt (less commission of course) he'll be comfy and may be able to retire

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
My first thought too. Wasn't it Neil Webb who got a job as a postie after he retired? Can't imagine many of today's top flight players needing to do that when they retire!
He did indeed return to Reading as a postie. Definitely one of the best players I have ever seen at Reading.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I remember a lot of footballers and cricketers used to job share back in the day. Whilst one was plying their sporting trade the other would hold a “normal” job down.

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The highest paid player in 1985 was Peter Shilton. He earnt £185,000, a fortune then.
Bruce Grobbelaars basic at Liverpool was £30,000.
These were annual earnings, not weekly ?
I knew this due to my working environment at that time, needless to say I can’t say what, but I saw it first hand.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Genuine question - Were they paid well? And in relative terms to whom/what?
Compared to the approximate 3 million unemployed at the time, yes. I started work in 1982, and was earning £40 a week which for a 16 yr old was not bad and better than those on YTS got.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
In 1988 I did the mortgage for a footballer who moved from Hampshire to the North West. We was earning ok at the former but lots more at the later. :ROFLMAO: He didn't actually want to go, but the money was too much to turn down.

I met Neil Webb when he played for Aldershot at the end of his career. He wasn't doing that for the money!

Mind you, in recent times "Hobby Clubs" with wealthy backers have been paying league 1 money in the Conference!

If I had a shirt and could get that sort of cash for it, it's sold!! Don't blame him at all!