Steriod knee injections

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi All
Struggling with knee pain , have damaged/ torn minscus , (sp)
First course of treatment is steroid injection into the knee, just had it yesterday, should see lmprovement in 2 weeks r so im told ..

Anyone had this ? How did it gogolf wise and lifestyle wise ?

Thanks in Advance
Bill

oleinone

Visit site
A steroid injection provided temporary relief from arthritis knee pain but it was only temporary. I am sorry not to be more positive and I know that the conditions are not the same. The very best of luck.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Advice given by experts that people never listen to is don’t come back too soon, do the physio and then build strength around the area Before you come back.

I would add buy a putting mat. By the time you’ve done all the above your putting should be amazing.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
A steroid injection provided temporary relief from arthritis knee pain but it was only temporary. I am sorry not to be more positive and I know that the conditions are not the same. The very best of luck.
Thank u very much , yea he told me its delaying the inevitable can play golf but need buggy as i cant walk more than 6 holes , mri shows its the better of the 2 knees thats hurting too ?

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Advice given by experts that people never listen to is don’t come back too soon, do the physio and then build strength around the area Before you come back.

I would add buy a putting mat. By the time you’ve done all the above your putting should be amazing.
Thank u , yea says i should see full benifit in 2/3 weeks, id be bored of practice in an hour ha ha . Thank u

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Had a cortisone injection in my left knee to ease a fraying tendon - coupled with 6 weeks immobilisation with a full leg plaster did the trick.
Had lots of physio after that due to muscle wastage.
This was before golf. I was playing lots of cricket at the time.
Decided I couldn't trust the knee so packed it in and started golf.
It's been fine up until a couple of years ago when the arthritis kicked off.
The right knee had 3 cartilage operations on it in the space of 2 years and there's not much if any left.
I was told I'd need knee replacement in 10-15 years....20 years on and it's going fine.
Follow the Doc's advice, do the physio and look after it.
A lot of what we do, day to day, puts pressure on knees and if you've got a dodgy one it's very easy to make it worse.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had various cortisone injections in various parts of my body - some worked some did not.

The ones in my shoulders worked really well (strained rotator cuffs).

I have considered having one in my knee but have never got round to it.

Mandofred

Visit site
Only in my back, not knee. Couple of bulging disks about 12 years ago. First shots did wonders....less than a year later when it was getting a bit worse had them again....helped, but not as much as the first shots. The back was slowly getting better, and you can't just keep getting these shots......things are ok now. My wife had a steroid shot in one of her fingers that has arthritis....the finger was killing her. Amazing result.....still doesn't hurt much and that was 10 years ago.

D

Deleted member 1147

Hope it works well for you.
I’m waiting to have a nerve block injection in my spine

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi All
Struggling with knee pain , have damaged/ torn minscus , (sp)
First course of treatment is steroid injection into the knee, just had it yesterday, should see lmprovement in 2 weeks r so im told ..

Anyone had this ? How did it gogolf wise and lifestyle wise ?

Thanks in Advance
Bill
I was diagnosed privately with a torn meniscus a few years ago and advised to have surgery.
Fortunately I declined and waited and it healed by itself after some rest.
Years later and it's still fine, so there is hope (y)(y)

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve just had them in my hips (arthritis) for the first time. Walked in with both hips extremely painful, walked out with barely any pain and within a few days I was pain free. Miraculous. Told it’ll only last 3-6 months unfortunately. I’m 45.

For those who’ve had them more than once, did you have to go back on the waiting list? It took a year from going to my gp to actually getting the injections. Dreading if in 6 months I’m in pain again and have to start the process all over again!

nyckuk

Visit site
My son (21) had a tibial plateau fracture + torn minscus from football.
They say recovery would be 1-2 years but after nearly a year he still couldn't straighten it and in pain .
2 weeks ago he had some Steroid injections and the next day he felt so much better , so hopefully on the road to full recovery

Hope it goes well for you , and back on the course soon

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tore my meniscus playing squash 20 years back, I had an arscothropy op which sorted it but had to stop playing squash. It was fine untill three years back when it went again getting up from a deck chair. I saw a knee surgeon who felt it didn't need a knee replacement so recommended physio therapy and rest which fixed it but I was off golf for two years. I did have a quartizone jab that gave some early relief but wasn't very long lasting. Holding up quite well now while playing golf three times a week, I do wear an elasticated support bandage when playing which helps.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Best of luck with it. might be worth treating yourself to some new supportive and well cushioned golf shoes For Christmas.
Get some Nike Air trainers as well.
Taking the day to day shocks off your knees helps a lot.
I ride my bike after loads of knee problems to strengthen my legs.
But see your phisio first , DO what they tell you most don’t.
Good luck.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
My son (21) had a tibial plateau fracture + torn minscus from football.
They say recovery would be 1-2 years but after nearly a year he still couldn't straighten it and in pain .
2 weeks ago he had some Steroid injections and the next day he felt so much better , so hopefully on the road to full recovery

Hope it goes well for you , and back on the course soon
Thank u