Havent played for 5 years but just started again

fattony

Visit site
Hi

Just joined the forum as Im feel like a beginner again, around 15 years ago at the age of 16 I was a member of a small club, it was only a 9 hole course but I played virtually every weekend, that was mid teenage years, as I entered late teens early 20's the frequency I played dropped dramatically but at around the age of 25 I got back into it, got a new set of clubs (cheap as I wasn't sure how committed I was) and since then its been hit and miss.

Now a friend has purchased a golf club and I have had a couple of rounds but I'm really struggling and not sure what I'm doing so wrong, wondered if anyone would mind giving me some pointers.

Firstly the amount of height I'm getting even with something like a 5 iron is ridiculous, I lose so much distance and its so frustrating, to be honest I initially noticed the height issue when I got the new clubs, something I've always wanted to ask is do some clubs add additional height or is it all down to the swing?

I had a lesson probably about 6 years ago and the pro said on my down swing my right arm is sometimes too relaxed and I needed to rotate my right hand grip slightly, would this cause the height issue?

My most recent issue is the most frustrating, I had a round 2 weeks ago and half way round I felt pain in my right arm (inside of my elbow) I also felt pain in my fingers when upon impact with the club and the ball, is this gripping the club too tight (for the elbow) and too loose (for the fingers)? took all enjoyment out of it.

I went to the driving range today, although I dont particularly like the range as it doesn't compare to getting out on the course but I had watched a couple of videos related to the excessive height issue and wanted to see how my swing looked on video (yes I did put my phone on slow mo recording, but the range was dead)

Sorry for the essay and walk through history but I'm hoping I can get some ideas for reducing the height issue, eliminate the pain in arm and fingers (was cold if that could be the cause for the fingers)

I'm happy to upload the video if it would help any tips

Thanks

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi

Just joined the forum as Im feel like a beginner again, around 15 years ago at the age of 16 I was a member of a small club, it was only a 9 hole course but I played virtually every weekend, that was mid teenage years, as I entered late teens early 20's the frequency I played dropped dramatically but at around the age of 25 I got back into it, got a new set of clubs (cheap as I wasn't sure how committed I was) and since then its been hit and miss.

Now a friend has purchased a golf club and I have had a couple of rounds but I'm really struggling and not sure what I'm doing so wrong, wondered if anyone would mind giving me some pointers.

Firstly the amount of height I'm getting even with something like a 5 iron is ridiculous, I lose so much distance and its so frustrating, to be honest I initially noticed the height issue when I got the new clubs, something I've always wanted to ask is do some clubs add additional height or is it all down to the swing?

I had a lesson probably about 6 years ago and the pro said on my down swing my right arm is sometimes too relaxed and I needed to rotate my right hand grip slightly, would this cause the height issue?

My most recent issue is the most frustrating, I had a round 2 weeks ago and half way round I felt pain in my right arm (inside of my elbow) I also felt pain in my fingers when upon impact with the club and the ball, is this gripping the club too tight (for the elbow) and too loose (for the fingers)? took all enjoyment out of it.

I went to the driving range today, although I dont particularly like the range as it doesn't compare to getting out on the course but I had watched a couple of videos related to the excessive height issue and wanted to see how my swing looked on video (yes I did put my phone on slow mo recording, but the range was dead)

Sorry for the essay and walk through history but I'm hoping I can get some ideas for reducing the height issue, eliminate the pain in arm and fingers (was cold if that could be the cause for the fingers)

I'm happy to upload the video if it would help any tips

Thanks

Welcome along, get stuck in. I'm sure there will be many on here that can advise you on your issues. I hope you enjoy the game again. I would suggest seeing how you get on and if the pain continues going to a GP and getting a professional opinion. Might be a simple strain or pull in the elbow and likely the cold in the fingers

fattony

Visit site
Thanks, never had a problem with the arm or fingers before and played twice in a short space of time, first time no problems but noticed it second time round.

Hopefully someone will be able to offer advice

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There are many on here who can provide sound advice. However, nothing beats having someone look at your swing and I would recommend getting a lesson or two with a local pro who may be able to quickly point out a simple thing to work on. Where in the country are you? I am sure that someone here could recommend someone local to you.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the forum

Where in Kent? It's a big county!

Height is relative...but generally around 30yds is the right apex height for most clubs hit properly. We amateurs rarely hit it properly.

Raduv

Visit site
sorry, I could go pretty much anywhere to be fair, probably easier West Kent, Maidstone, West Malling, etc

Hi mate , I just joined this forum only 20 minutes ago and by chance we must live pretty close by . I've been out of the game for nearly ten years due to a back injury but have just started again . I live close to Maidstone and my nearest GC is West Malling . Tap me up via PM or email if you want a round mate as I do shifts and can play during the week or weekends as shifts allow .

Ray.

Raduv

Visit site
The high ball flight could be as simple as palming the grip on your right hand rather than fingers . I suffer from this and it makes it hard to turn the wrists over resulting in a high fade and lack of power . Try taking your normal grip ( right hand ) and holding the club parrelel to the floor, if to much palm then whrist movement is easy on opening the clubface but restricted on whrist and forearm closing it . Then do the same gripping just with the correct finger placement. Movement is more fluid .

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
welcome along

the ball height issue will be down to the impact conditions your swing motion technique is producing - bunch of things can play into why that's happening - like lack of width in the backswing - weight pressure distribution through the swing - swing path & angle of attack along with a bunch of loft on an 'open' face angle at strike

best answer to that is searching out some lessons with a pga pro

suspect the elbow issue - if on the inside of the elbow (medial epicondylitis) known aptly as 'golfer's elbow' (though folks can get that doin other stuff other than golf) & often times why it happens is again down to swing technique issues & also grip issues to how the club is being held in the hands - & the swing motion is working against how the arm should function so puts an abnormal strain on the joint

folks don't often times realize but swing a club at speed when down to impact so say with a driver at 90-100mph the 'load' on the club 'effectively' is weighing anything from 90 to 100 lbs or thereabouts depending on the speed it's being moved at

would get to the docs office to check the pain issues but likely he would advise rest - best answer if not goin to the docs would be to take a break for a spell from hitting balls then if you hit some balls & it resurfaces ice it & rest some more

the lessons as well as helping with the 'height' issues would also help alleviate the elbow/forearm/hand trouble too as both the address position & posture & grip hold would all be in a more optimum place to be better able to make a swing

fattony

Visit site
Thanks for the detailed post, I'll need to get some lessons booked I think.

Ray, similar issue for me, had a continued lower back pain which didnt help my game, another reason why I gave it up, its also an expensive game (in time and money) so with young kids and working long hours I knocked it on the head.

Regarding meeting up I'm simply fitting it in around work and the kids activities to be honest so I'm probably not the best partner but if the times work we should give it a go, I live in Harrietsham just outside Maidstone.

Looks like I'm resting for at least 3 weeks now as I have the pain back on the inner elbow after going to the range today (took my 4 year old) it must just be a strain as I have an active job (electrician) so fairly physical, just never suffered it previously

Raduv

Visit site
Thanks for the detailed post, I'll need to get some lessons booked I think.

Ray, similar issue for me, had a continued lower back pain which didnt help my game, another reason why I gave it up, its also an expensive game (in time and money) so with young kids and working long hours I knocked it on the head.

Regarding meeting up I'm simply fitting it in around work and the kids activities to be honest so I'm probably not the best partner but if the times work we should give it a go, I live in Harrietsham just outside Maidstone.

Looks like I'm resting for at least 3 weeks now as I have the pain back on the inner elbow after going to the range today (took my 4 year old) it must just be a strain as I have an active job (electrician) so fairly physical, just never suffered it previously

Yup it is a bit of a bugger when your body says nope I've had enough .

I now do a lot of stretching before a round or even on driving range to warm up . At 51 I have to as I do not want to go back into traction . I'm not talking yoga guro here but just stretching and usually finish off with legs together ( not full swing ) swinging PW/SW together 10 or 15 times to feel weight in the swing . Also have one of them really heavy clubs at home that I swing in the back garden. Again not full on swing but just to stay loose .

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
For a great teacher I'd recommend Benn Barham at Pedham Place. He's an ex Tour Pro so he's been there and done it but also a great coach