Stats - fairways, GIR, up & down - what's good?

sunshine

Visit site
The handicap guideline is a guide based on my playing handicap and so won't vary unless my handicap moves.

My doubt is about the quality of the guide (not your stats).

I understand that there is likely to be a linear progression in GIR as handicap improves (as trodski has posted), but some of the other stats e.g. Putts Per Round, will not be linear, and will also massively vary by course, so I'm very sceptical about them. Maybe i'm over-thinking it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My doubt is about the quality of the guide (not your stats).

I understand that there is likely to be a linear progression in GIR as handicap improves (as trodski has posted), but some of the other stats e.g. Putts Per Round, will not be linear, and will also massively vary by course, so I'm very sceptical about them. Maybe i'm over-thinking it.
But can't you apply it to any stats where there are guides in place and even to those that offer strokes gained compared to either someone of a slightly better ability (eg a 10 handicapper compared to my 13) or comparing with a single figure player. Stats when used as a guide to highlight trends (missing GIR's short or on a specific side, perhaps particular holes not played well showing regular missed fairways and not able to get a GIR or hitting fairway and then missing GIR) is useful and can improve course management or areas to practice.

sunshine

Visit site
But can't you apply it to any stats where there are guides in place and even to those that offer strokes gained compared to either someone of a slightly better ability (eg a 10 handicapper compared to my 13) or comparing with a single figure player.
I don't really understand how the stats are compiled, or the population. Just seems a bit flakey to me.

Stats when used as a guide to highlight trends (missing GIR's short or on a specific side, perhaps particular holes not played well showing regular missed fairways and not able to get a GIR or hitting fairway and then missing GIR) is useful and can improve course management or areas to practice.
Completely agree with this bit. This is you analysing your own performance.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well I hit 38.5% of fairways today, about normal. 16.7% of GIR which is pretty low, but up & down % was 66.7! Huge improvement. @saving_par 's tip about actually thinking about trying to hole them really helped me get closer with the chips I think. Straight away on the 2nd and the 4th I chipped to gimme distance. Could have been even higher as well but after the 12th hole my putting really let me down, rather than the chipping. Shot 38 points and would have been 3 better but for three short putts missed. If I can hit a few more greens and still make these up and downs when I don't I should be down to 15 by the end of the year which is where I'd like to be. Maybe even 14 with a bit of luck.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm a 4 handicap, and I only track competition rounds, as when I usually play normally, I'm practicing something.

FIR: 47%
GIR: 37.11% - My known weakness is accuracy with irons, I miss a lot of greens where I can still use a putter.
Up & Down - 61% - Again a lot of my 'up and downs' will actually be a putt off the green.
Putts per Round - 28 - 42% 1 putt, 56% 2 putt, 2% 3 putt - again, 'officially' a putt is only counted as putt if it's on the green.

Notable putting stats as I consider myself a pretty good putter.
0-6 ft - 100%
6-12ft - 41.7%
18-24ft - 10%

May be able to find more stats, but i'm not great at finding my way around shotscope's dashboard.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm a 4 handicap, and I only track competition rounds, as when I usually play normally, I'm practicing something.

FIR: 47%
GIR: 37.11% - My known weakness is accuracy with irons, I miss a lot of greens where I can still use a putter.
Up & Down - 61% - Again a lot of my 'up and downs' will actually be a putt off the green.
Putts per Round - 28 - 42% 1 putt, 56% 2 putt, 2% 3 putt - again, 'officially' a putt is only counted as putt if it's on the green.

Notable putting stats as I consider myself a pretty good putter.
0-6 ft - 100%
6-12ft - 41.7%
18-24ft - 10%

May be able to find more stats, but i'm not great at finding my way around shotscope's dashboard.
How many rounds are included in the 100% from inside 6 feet. Even the pros aren't making that https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.344.html

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stats are interesting I think, but only tell part of the story.

At the mid handicap level, it’s not the good shots that determine your round, but rather how bad / damaging your bad shots are.

70% fairways hit is very good, but also could be a rubbish score if the 30% are all lost balls.

For me, my tee shots determine the broad range of my score, e.g 80-90 v 90-100, irons and putting them determines the rest. In that order. I don’t really ever have a good day off the tee that is totally ruined by short game (although sometimes it comes close...)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well I hit 38.5% of fairways today, about normal. 16.7% of GIR which is pretty low, but up & down % was 66.7! Huge improvement. @saving_par 's tip about actually thinking about trying to hole them really helped me get closer with the chips I think. Straight away on the 2nd and the 4th I chipped to gimme distance. Could have been even higher as well but after the 12th hole my putting really let me down, rather than the chipping. Shot 38 points and would have been 3 better but for three short putts missed. If I can hit a few more greens and still make these up and downs when I don't I should be down to 15 by the end of the year which is where I'd like to be. Maybe even 14 with a bit of luck.
This Saturday just gone my fairways hit was up to 69.2% which is my highest so far this year. GIR was down to just 11.1% though - up and downs was about average with 37.5%. And the score was my best of the year, 81 for 40 points. I guess all I can take from that was that my approach play to the greens was poor, but ultimately an ok number of up and downs made up for it. I did get up and down from bunkers twice which is usually unheard-of for me. I think maybe hitting from the fairway meant my green misses weren't a million miles away, I know that one or two up and downs were with the putter from just off the fringe for example.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I am only as good as my weakest point. My weakest point is usually very obvious (i.e. I don't need stats to tell me what it is) - so I work on it so that it is no longer my weakest point. Then I work on my weakest point.

It was my approach irons. I've basically now got that under control (very far from 'sorted') - but the improvements in that area have been nullified by weak chipping. So have been working on my chipping. That's starting to get there (getting up and down in two more often when green is missed). Will keep working on the chipping for a while. But then I'll probably go back to my approach irons with focus on whether it is within 120yds that is weakest or 120-160yds...as my long game and putting are fine.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am only as good as my weakest point. My weakest point is usually very obvious (i.e. I don't need stats to tell me what it is) - so I work on it so that it is no longer my weakest point. Then I work on my weakest point.

It was my approach irons. I've basically now got that under control (very far from 'sorted') - but the improvements in that area have been nullified by weak chipping. So have been working on my chipping. That's starting to get there (getting up and down in two more often when green is missed). Will keep working on the chipping for a while. But then I'll probably go back to my approach irons with focus on whether it is within 120yds that is weakest or 120-160yds...as my long game and putting are fine.
It's a bit like spinning plates isn't it? :LOL: