Standing water relief

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On Saturday we played off the back sticks after a lot of heavy rain during the week. One tee in particular is pushed back into a chute of bushes. The rain must not have cleared here well and the tee box was basically flooded.
Could we have teed up outside the teebox, like further back than the usual two Club lengths to try and find a bit of dry ground.
It was that bad I found the best bit of ground for my ball and hit it like a fairway bunker shot in my mind to keep my feet and legs as still as possible to stop from losing my footing.

In short is it possible to take standing water relief from a tee box?

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Found this from a few years ago via Google.

Steven Rules

Visit site
The term is 'temporary water'. The answer is 'no'. The Rules do not make provision for relief from temporary water in the teeing area. You would be justified in asking the Committee to move the teeing area to a drier spot.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys. In short then no is the answer. Just get on with it as best you can.

It's a very odd occurance. I teed the ball up with driver so took the ground out of play. It was just a matter of managing my feet in the pooling water.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The water may be removed 6.2b(3) but there is no relief

And

6B(2)a. Teeing Area Becomes Unusable After Start of Round
If a teeing area becomes covered in temporary water or for some other reason is not usable after the round has started, the Committee may suspend play or relocate the teeing area if this can be done without giving any player a significant advantage or disadvantage.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
Well, isn't this convenient. I was about to start a brand new thread this morning, but this one seems to fit in quite nicely.

I played last night, and when I got to the 8th tee, a large tree had collapsed onto the tee box. It was literally about a foot in front of the tee markers, all the way across the tee box. It meant teeing off, even using 2 club lengths from markers, would be impossible (well possible, but you'd be hitting it straight into the large tree, and probably catching it in your follow through.

If this had been a competition, with no Committee or Green staff present, would this have to be reported and competition abandoned (ironically, I was playing with one of the green staff, but no chance we were moving that tree at the time). I assumed there was no immovable obstruction relief before you even teed off :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well, isn't this convenient. I was about to start a brand new thread this morning, but this one seems to fit in quite nicely.

I played last night, and when I got to the 8th tee, a large tree had collapsed onto the tee box. It was literally about a foot in front of the tee markers, all the way across the tee box. It meant teeing off, even using 2 club lengths from markers, would be impossible (well possible, but you'd be hitting it straight into the large tree, and probably catching it in your follow through.

If this had been a competition, with no Committee or Green staff present, would this have to be reported and competition abandoned (ironically, I was playing with one of the green staff, but no chance we were moving that tree at the time). I assumed there was no immovable obstruction relief before you even teed off :)
Just pick up the tree and move it mate, loose impediment, no? :D

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I do not know what you could actually do but on the point of status of the tree. If any part of it is still attached to to the trunk it is still a tree and is not a loose impediment and therefore could not be moved even if it could be.

Swango1980

Visit site
I do not know what you could actually do but on the point of status of the tree. If any part of it is still attached to to the trunk it is still a tree and is not a loose impediment and therefore could not be moved even if it could be.
Good point. That is even more intriguing now. Groups before tree fell play a normal round. Groups after tree fell have an unplayable shot. I guess they could just smash it into tree, then take unplayable and drop far enough back and play their 3rd

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good point. That is even more intriguing now. Groups before tree fell play a normal round. Groups after tree fell have an unplayable shot. I guess they could just smash it into tree, then take unplayable and drop far enough back and play their 3rd
I would be more concerned about why people were still playing when there was still a risk about other trees coming down :oops: Surely the club should have been informed and the hole should have been closed - or do people value their golf so much they ignore the obvious risks?

Swango1980

Visit site
I would be more concerned about why people were still playing when there was still a risk about other trees coming down :oops: Surely the club should have been informed and the hole should have been closed - or do people value their golf so much they ignore the obvious risks?
One tree fell down, there appeared to be no risk of others falling around it (although I'm no tree expert). It appeared to be a freak event, it wasn't even that windy.

This was an evening round of golf, and it is millionaires golf. Most likely, we might have been the first group to come across it, and we were probably last group to tee off that evening. Was actually playing with one of the green staff, so the fallen tree was noted.

The question was simply related to a ruling if it had happened during a competition? Competition abandoned?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
The question was simply related to a ruling if it had happened during a competition? Competition abandoned?
As per post #5

6B(2)a. Teeing Area Becomes Unusable After Start of Round
If a teeing area becomes covered in temporary water or for some other reason is not usable after the round has started, the Committee may suspend play or relocate the teeing area if this can be done without giving any player a significant advantage or disadvantage.

salfordlad

Visit site
One tree fell down, there appeared to be no risk of others falling around it (although I'm no tree expert). It appeared to be a freak event, it wasn't even that windy.

This was an evening round of golf, and it is millionaires golf. Most likely, we might have been the first group to come across it, and we were probably last group to tee off that evening. Was actually playing with one of the green staff, so the fallen tree was noted.

If the teeing area becomes unusable during round, Cttee may suspend play or relocate teeing area if it can be done without giving anyone a significant advantage or disadvantage. See Cttee Proc.6B(2)a.