Staffordshire Clubs

Neeko1988

Visit site
Hi

I am currently a member of lilleshall GC and for various reasons thinking of the possibility of moving elsewhere.

There are four of us that would be moving. Anybody got any recommendations in the Staffordshire sort of area.

Thanks

bwstokie

Visit site
Not a member myself but have played Beau Desert Cannock Chase) and have to say it’s tremendous so much so that I will be attempting to join next March. I believe at the moment there are only 5 day memberships available but you can play at weekends for a nominal green fee as a 5 day member. Of all the courses local to me (Stone) Beau is the one that has been open and in the best nick over this tough winter.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
brockton is a great track. I personally wouldn't join beau destert. the course is unplayable in the summer. even robert rock said "beau is one of myf favourite golf courses for 4 months of the year. it's not fun having zero control over your golf ball"
I'd like to add that I play beau at least once a month as two guys I work with are members. I'd join whittington over beau

bwstokie

Visit site
brockton is a great track. I personally wouldn't join beau destert. the course is unplayable in the summer. even robert rock said "beau is one of myf favourite golf courses for 4 months of the year. it's not fun having zero control over your golf ball"
I'd like to add that I play beau at least once a month as two guys I work with are members. I'd join whittington over beau
Fair comment but isn’t HS2 going through/affecting Whittington?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair comment but isn’t HS2 going through/affecting Whittington?
Yes it is but will be having new clubhouse and new holes being built so with existing holes still be a top notch course.
How close are you to Lilleshall, Shifnal is just down the road ;) waiting list at the moment but sure that will change in April with new year starting ;).
Brocton another good course for winter and excellent pro .

bwstokie

Visit site
Yes it is but will be having new clubhouse and new holes being built so with existing holes still be a top notch course.
How close are you to Lilleshall, Shifnal is just down the road ;) waiting list at the moment but sure that will change in April with new year starting ;).
That’s good to hear, just looked at their website so good news for a club for a change!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Enville would be my choice of club in Staffs

although technically in staff's its waaaaay South. you'd have to look at the shape off staffs County to understand. if Enville was more central I would be a member. wouldn't be a drama if the op lives in Lilleshall though

Last edited:

Neeko1988

Visit site

I actually know a member of Shifnal never gave it a thought. Def worth thinking about thank you

Neeko1988

Visit site

I actually don’t live far from beau and know a few members but as above only taking 5 day members on atm

D

Deleted member 1147

Have you checked out the top100golfcourses website, for Staffs, to see how the clubs are ranked?

It may help you choose

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Haven't played it for a few years but I enjoyed South Staffs when I went there on a captains away trip, I'm a big fan of Beau, I know what people are saying about the greens, they're like billiard tables in the summer, but whether off the yellows or whites, its a good allround test, I play in at least 3 of their opens each year, Brocton Hall is very nice also, with a great clubhouse. Enville is a serious contender though, the Highgate course is a very good course, great food in the clubhouse as well.

Last edited:

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
I actually don’t live far from beau and know a few members but as above only taking 5 day members on atm
don't let that out you off. you won't be a 5 day for long. also consider that in the colder months it's closed when other surrounding courses are open because of how high it sits on the chase. brockton should be a consideration as you live so Close. also Ingestre is worth a look before hs2 destroys it

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
IMO Beau's comfortably the best track in Staffordshire, hence the full membership. Very ambitious plans in place too to further improve the course and facilities.

Enville has two very good courses (I prefer the Lodge) and great practice areas.

Brocton has a beautiful clubhouse, course is good but lacks variety (no par 5's and 14 par 4's).

Trentham's a good course with some charm.

South Staffs is a good track but again lacks variety, having played it a few times, find it dull.

Shifnal has a lovely course and clubhouse

None of the above 4 are particularly good in the winter though, unlike Beau and Enville which are sand based.

HTH

D

Deleted member 21258

Don't quite understand that, the slopes on the fairways are not particularly bad, couple of tees are a bit counter to the slope of the land, so you would have to hit a draw or take a really tight line, to stay on them, but still are all playable. Greens are normally fast due to the slopes but never really had much problem holding them either.:unsure:

Would hate to see what he says about links golf and some of the fairway bounces on them :ROFLMAO:

OP, Beau is a lovely place to play golf and be a member of, love it there, it is a fairly busy course and drains like a dream. For example its open today...

Must get over to Enville to taste its delights.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't quite understand that, the slopes on the fairways are not particularly bad, couple of tees are a bit counter to the slope of the land, so you would have to hit a draw or take a really tight line, to stay on them, but still are all playable. Greens are normally fast due to the slopes but never really had much problem holding them either.:unsure:

Would hate to see what he says about links golf and some of the fairway bounces on them :ROFLMAO:

OP, Beau is a lovely place to play golf and be a member of, love it there, it is a fairly busy course and drains like a dream. For example its open today...

Must get over to Enville to taste its delights.

the greens are never holdable in the summer unless there has been recent rain (the 4th springs to mind especially pin at the front) . when i asked Rob about having no control over your ball he said with links there is an element of prediction with links that beau doesn't have. yes the fairways are relatively flat but as you know the greens are borderline farcical due to the subsidence from the mines. the 12th hole is a good example. green runs front to back. 130 out from the green you have zero chance holding the green by landing the ball on the green. playing a 70 yard pitch to allow for 50 yards of roll is not for me. I'll leave that to micky mouse
one thing beau doesn't have is many cat 1 golfers compared to other clubs. that's purely because they leave because of the mentioned conditions.

another things to mention is beau for many years has or had the best defensive team record. says alot really on how important course knowledge is when you play there.
I like the place and never get board of playing. however, when I get an invite following a short period of no rain I respectively decline

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

the greens are never holdable in the summer unless there has been recent rain. when i asked Rob about having no control over your ball he said with links there is an element of prediction with links that beau doesn't have. yes the fairways are relatively flat but as you know the greens are borderline farcical due to the subsidence from the mines. the 12th hole is a good example. green runs front to back. 130 out from the green you have zero chance holding the green by landing the ball on the green. playing a 70 yard pitch to allow for 50 yards of roll is not for me. I'll leave that to micky mouse
one thing beau doesn't have is many cat 1 golfers compared to other clubs. that's purely because they leave because of the mentioned conditions.

another things to mention is beau for many years has or had the best defensive team record. says alot really on how important course knowledge is when you play there.
I like the place and never get board of playing. however, when I get an invite following a short period of no rain I respectively decline

Course knowledge is helpful at Beau, due to the turns on the greens more than any other matter IMHO, 12th is about the only green I would not be looking to hit the green, due to the lay of the land/green on the whole course. 6th maybe as well, depending on pin location. However this is not unusual on heathland or links course (even if they are flat courses), they are sand based and are firm all the year round, it certainly is not a parkland course.

As you know you don't want to be long on any shot to the greens, as out the back of the greens at beau are almost impossible to get up and down from(not all but most) and you are better taking a longer club of the tee(on par4/5) to ensure you take a shorter club into the greens, as there are some you have to hit in certain places and always over read the turns on the greens, as you almost never do.:ROFLMAO:

Links bounces sorry are far less predictable than Beaus bounces. Alot of Links course have hollows, humps, undulations far great than Beau.

With regards to cat 1, just checked there is the same percentage of cat 1 members, as a top 100 links course I am a member at(also quickly check another, and it has way more than a parkland course) so not sure on your info there.:unsure:

All the best.