St Andrews - 3 day unlimited ?

D

Deleted member 25575

For the rest of the time just ring up the booking number at exactly 8am the morning before, lines get v busy at that time and if you ring at 0801 you’ll be like 40th in the queue or whatever, then ask what they have, I’ve never had a problem booking but you have to be fluid with what course you want on what day, as there may be a comp on a course or bookings may be full.
You can always just walk up to the new and join a queue (never had a long wait) if you can’t get anything booked.
The staff are brilliant there and will do everything they can to accommodate, just ask them and be friendly they will sort you out

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The above sounds like good advice. We managed to get other bookings but we were looking for afternoon midweek slots so I don't know how yours compare.
I think the Eden is a good course and great fun to play though the holes around the pond are a bit out of character.
One thing is though that the Strathtyrum is not actually a bad course it's not as testing but it's still well presented with good greens and on the same land.
It's shorter but off the back tees it's not ridiculously short, the rough is actually a bit thicker. Most golfers will still enjoy it.
The Balgove is basically nine holes in a field, but even here the conditions are such that it's fine for practice or warming up.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Nice one.

Next question would be accommodation.

Where does everyone stay?

This isn’t aimed at the millionaires on this forum lol.

Something reasonable that isn’t going to have to make me remortgage my house would be fantastic.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you can get into the student accommodation that is excellent value but looking at your dates I suspect they will not be available.
Otherwise I just hunt around on line to see what is affordable via air bnb booking.com etc,

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've been looking at doing something similar with a couple mates
Even in march/April some of the accommodation prices are quite eye watering, to be actually staying in town of St andrews.

So watching this with interest....

D

Deleted member 25575

We have used booking.com stayed in and around St Andrews.
We go as a 4 so splitting the cost between us never works out that much.
You can stay on the outskirts but if you are all wanting to go into town drinking the need to factor in taxi cost there and back and all the messing that goes along with it.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Matey has gone his route and has booked us in for a 8 bed townhouse via Airbnb complete with pool table etc 5 minutes from St Andrews. Works out to £70 a night each between 8 of us (we are 5 now but certain to be 8 by the time the trip comes around)

It seems he wanted to secure the property asap before another party snapped up the dates but we all happy, place looks like a right Batchelor pad.

I did have a quick look into the student accommodation at David Russel but it seems that nothing was available, possibly due to it being term time.

Trip pretty much complete. Absolutely buzzing for it. Cheers all 🤙

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Matey has gone his route and has booked us in for a 8 bed townhouse via Airbnb complete with pool table etc 5 minutes from St Andrews. Works out to £70 a night each between 8 of us (we are 5 now but certain to be 8 by the time the trip comes around)

It seems he wanted to secure the property asap before another party snapped up the dates but we all happy, place looks like a right Batchelor pad.

I did have a quick look into the student accommodation at David Russel but it seems that nothing was available, possibly due to it being term time.

Trip pretty much complete. Absolutely buzzing for it. Cheers all 🤙

Sounds like you’ll have a great time, enjoy!

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The New course is the best by far in my opinion.
I think this is one of the things which shows how much is personal preference.
The New is my favourite as well but I don't think it is miles above the Jubilee both are superb courses and I can also see why some people prefer the Castle to either . It is a very different style of course, I prefer the traditional links courses but I can't definitively say the Castle is better or worse than the links courses.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've been looking at doing something similar with a couple mates
Even in march/April some of the accommodation prices are quite eye watering, to be actually staying in town of St andrews.

So watching this with interest....
Have you tried Airbnb? We stayed in a 3 bed semi in the town a couple of years ago. It was £70 a night, and was 5 minutes in a cab from the town centre.

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
Airbnb seems like the way forward if student accommodation isn’t available. Great value when split between a group.

Question.

We have two rounds booked in for around 2.30pm on the jubilee and new course.

Would this be enough time if we were to get a round in for the morning? Considering sunset is around 9pm I am thinking it may be worth changing both tee times an hour forward to around 3.30pm and potentially still beat sunset?

Anyone done double rounds and if so what time did you tee off on the afternoon tee?

Cheers

D

Deleted member 25575

Airbnb seems like the way forward if student accommodation isn’t available. Great value when split between a group.

Question.

We have two rounds booked in for around 2.30pm on the jubilee and new course.

Would this be enough time if we were to get a round in for the morning? Considering sunset is around 9pm I am thinking it may be worth changing both tee times an hour forward to around 3.30pm and potentially still beat sunset?

Anyone done double rounds and if so what time did you tee off on the afternoon tee?

Cheers
We do double rounds every time we play, try to get out as early as we can in the morning this year we are booked for April and morning tee times of 0712 and 0752. The other afternoon tee time is booked for 1430.
Plenty time to get 36 in