St Andrews - 3 day unlimited ?

D

Deleted member 25575

Yes they do it every year, been the last 3 years.
Doesn’t include the Old course though

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We loved the Jubilee and the Eden, but hated Castle. It's a beautiful course but was just too tough for us on what was a horrible day weather wise. The rough was penal if you weren't dead straight off the tee.

Strathtyrum is ok but not in the same class as the other courses.

Castle is the most weather sensitive IMHO. We played it on a great day, and it was fabulous. Made a nice change.

Haven't seen all the answers, but there are 2 tickets available iirc, one where you can book 1 course a day well in advance, one where you can book either on the day or just before. We used the former, which is more expensive, to be sure we had some structure to the trip.

Having a chat to the starters, if seemed pretty easy to pick up a late tee time on any of the new/jub/eden.

Might also be worth checking if there are any events on, as the new especially is sometimes unavailable.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Great value. Anyone know if they do this every year? Looking to go up for my 50th in a few years.
not sure I'd describe it as great value. It was £260 when we went in 2021, now it's £375. That's a bit of a hike.

£175 at the end of March would be tempting if I wasn't already going golfing in Spain in early April.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Paying the current green fees it’d be £900 to play each of the Castle, New and Jubilee twice in May.

It’s always worth checking the busy dates here https://standrews.com/course-status-updates/busy-dates

And the easiest thing to do is just phone the reservations team. They are incredibly helpful and will do their best to find you a tee time at short notice. They are constantly shuffling people and times around. The hardest course to plan ahead for is the New as it’s generally first come first served on the day.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
not sure I'd describe it as great value. It was £260 when we went in 2021, now it's £375. That's a bit of a hike.

£175 at the end of March would be tempting if I wasn't already going golfing in Spain in early April.
So that's a 50% increase in 2 years.
Given that this is a trust, not a commercial organisation, that's not great.
Even in our current troubled times, has labour, fuel or fertiliser gone up that much in 2 years?
Smells of nest fluffing for someone.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So that's a 50% increase in 2 years.
Given that this is a trust, not a commercial organisation, that's not great.
Even in our current troubled times, has labour, fuel or fertiliser gone up that much in 2 years?
Smells of nest fluffing for someone.
You don't have to pay it if you don't like it. There will be plenty that do. When you break down the individual green fees of each course, it works out a much more efficient way of playing them.

Alternatively, go in the shoulder season and get it cheaper. I am going in April on the ticket - may be a gamble with weather, but thats the rub of the green.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quickly from memory the trust lost around £20M in income during each pandemic year of 2020/21, creating a debt of around £7M at the end of 2021.

Charitable trusts can’t operate at a loss.

D

Deleted member 23270

Quickly from memory the trust lost around £20M in income during each pandemic year of 2020/21, creating a debt of around £7M at the end of 2021.

Charitable trusts can’t operate at a loss.
They lost 40mil but only 7mil in debt 🤔

D

Deleted member 23270

If that is true and I'm not sure it is, you could easily argue they were previously prudent in building up their reserves.
Yes you could and as Jimaroid is a member I suspect it is true. You could also argue that the trust is overcharging if it is true.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They have for a long time had a financial strategy to create a surplus to reinvest and enhance the links and home of golf. The margin is 11%. Charities have to generate surplus money to invest in their charitable cause, that’s the whole damn point.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
They have for a long time had a financial strategy to create a surplus to reinvest and enhance the links and home of golf. The margin is 11%. Charities have to generate surplus money to invest in their charitable cause, that’s the whole damn point.
can't blame the trust, why would'nt they cash in on the non stop desire to play the old course. it was always probably too cheap compared to the likes of Kingsbarns. at least its still attainable as a once in a lifetime, unlike some of the prices for US top courses, some of them you cant play no matter what

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
So we were able to book on for 3 courses today.

Would anyone be able to advise us on how to play the remaining time we have free?

I believe you are only allowed to book the rest of the courses 24 hours in advance.

How likely are we to get tee times on:

Friday at 8am (31st May)
Saturday 2pm+ (1st June)
Sunday 8am (2nd June)

We are St Andrews virgins and would just like to maximise our time there with this package.

Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• c9628b28-6d66-4fd9-b038-33f1968504a0.jpeg
    c9628b28-6d66-4fd9-b038-33f1968504a0.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 13

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So we were able to book on for 3 courses today.

Would anyone be able to advise us on how to play the remaining time we have free?

I believe you are only allowed to book the rest of the courses 24 hours in advance.

How likely are we to get tee times on:

Friday at 8am (31st May)
Saturday 2pm+ (1st June)
Sunday 8am (2nd June)

We are St Andrews virgins and would just like to maximise our time there with this package.

Any help appreciated.
You‘ve got the main 3 booked….you probably want to have an idea as to what courses you want to play. I imagine getting on the Eden will be fine at some point whilst there.

are you going to ballot for the old at any point?

Bamberdele2.0

Visit site
You‘ve got the main 3 booked….you probably want to have an idea as to what courses you want to play. I imagine getting on the Eden will be fine at some point whilst there.

are you going to ballot for the old at any point?

I’m really not too fussed about playing the old course mainly due to financial reasons.

Spending £300 on a round when it’s very likely I will be hacking it about in potentially tough conditions really does not appeal to me in the slightest.

Having said that I am sure a couple in our group will have their eyes set on going in the ballot for sure.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I reckon you could get on the Eden one of the 2 mornings unless there's something on. It's a fun course, but the 4 new holes are a bit meh. They could have done better IMHO.
Then either new or jubilee for your afternoon, especially if you can leave it a bit later.
If you've never been to StA before, I would highly recommend the Ladies putting. Just up by the old course 1st green.
On Sunday, you could walk the old course to see what you're missing...