Sports persons taking the knee

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
No what he is saying is that some black people are using the N word in common parlance thus perpetuating the use of that word.
It is a word that needs to die out and the people that continue to use it are not helping
Is the correct answer. It is not acceptable for anyone to say it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Good point, queer means different or odd, the same principle applies, it highlights the differences between people , it says that I’m not the same as you,

Bit of a minefield isn’t it

I’m a middle aged white male, but I’m just Phil, you might be a gay black male, but you’re just Michael

It’s these labels that are creating barriers, people are just people getting by the best they can

When I went Through the adoption process I asked A guy who I knew from Zimbabwe if he is black or coloured., what do I call you. He said “ Bing”. That’s his actual name. ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Is the incorrect answer. It’s not for you to decide what the black community call each other, you can only decide for yourself not to use terms that will insult them.

Mmm, on the one hand I'll agree with you but if the black community use it amongst themselves but won't 'allow' others, that's hypocritical/discriminatory. You can't have it both ways. But that's where semantics come in. We're splitting hairs. In reality, its about intonation. My sister, black(adopted) Fijian often calls me white honky/white n****r. There isn't a single shred of malice in it. And I, in response, occasionally respond in kind, depending on the company we're in - its about context and audience.

Taking the knee; no I won't. Not now, not ever. I realise its about recognising what has gone before, or that's at least the official version, but its beyond that now, and its just a form of inverted racism. If you struggle with that, read up on inverted snobbery.

And to quote my (black) sister who's experienced it all her life, even during the last election from Farage's minions, as have I as we've moved around the world, what a crock of birdcage droppings. History paints a lousy picture, and our own experiences down the years reflect that but its about now. Its about how we all behave now. The respect we give to each other. We all know what went before, and we all know it was appalling in the extreme. But that is the history we recognise and learn from. Practicing the donning of sackcloth and ashes serves no purpose, and in reality rubbing someone's nose in it just causes resentment.

Will I accept taking the knee? No, not now, not ever. As for the ignorant black power salute that some use...... that just shows their ignorance or, perhaps more worryingly, their racism towards whites. However, I will hold hands with anyone, give a leg up to anyone and defend anyone - IRRESPECTIVE of colour, race, religious creed or sexual orientation.

And if you want to take a pop at me for not wanting to take the knee, for most of you I've been where you only think is awful. It is far worse than you can imagine. The daily walk to school etc - seriously, you haven't got a clue. Its how you behave NOW!!!! Defeat it with a smile and a handshake, not a confrontational taking of the knee. Everyone accepts a smile and most will accept a handshake. Does everyone accept taking the knee? No.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mmm, on the one hand I'll agree with you but if the black community use it amongst themselves but won't 'allow' others, that's hypocritical/discriminatory. You can't have it both ways. But that's where semantics come in. We're splitting hairs. In reality, its about intonation. My sister, black(adopted) Fijian often calls me white honky/white n****r. There isn't a single shred of malice in it. And I, in response, occasionally respond in kind, depending on the company we're in - its about context and audience.

Taking the knee; no I won't. Not now, not ever. I realise its about recognising what has gone before, or that's at least the official version, but its beyond that now, and its just a form of inverted racism. If you struggle with that, read up on inverted snobbery.

And to quote my (black) sister who's experienced it all her life, even during the last election from Farage's minions, as have I as we've moved around the world, what a crock of birdcage droppings. History paints a lousy picture, and our own experiences down the years reflect that but its about now. Its about how we all behave now. The respect we give to each other. We all know what went before, and we all know it was appalling in the extreme. But that is the history we recognise and learn from. Practicing the donning of sackcloth and ashes serves no purpose, and in reality rubbing someone's nose in it just causes resentment.

Will I accept taking the knee? No, not now, not ever. As for the ignorant black power salute that some use...... that just shows their ignorance or, perhaps more worryingly, their racism towards whites. However, I will hold hands with anyone, give a leg up to anyone and defend anyone - IRRESPECTIVE of colour, race, religious creed or sexual orientation.

And if you want to take a pop at me for not wanting to take the knee, for most of you I've been where you only think is awful. It is far worse than you can imagine. The daily walk to school etc - seriously, you haven't got a clue. Its how you behave NOW!!!! Defeat it with a smile and a handshake, not a confrontational taking of the knee. Everyone accepts a smile and most will accept a handshake. Does everyone accept taking the knee? No.
Not sure I 100% follow what you’ve written, but if I take it a face value then I’m not sure I can disagree more. Each to their own though.

Whatever I think of the taking of the knee, it’s not really up to me to judge it. If the group in question choose that gesture to peacefully demonstrate then I could either support it or ignore it. Choosing to react to it negatively is a strange way for anyone to say that they support the aim but not the method.

I too have experienced abuse, however mine was xenophobic rather than racist. My Mother and Grandparents experienced far more, both physical and verbal. I don’t feel the need to make an issue if it now as it no longer happens, but I’ll never forget it.

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are we a multi-cultural nation, or a nation of multiple cultures? Whilst we have many cultures in this country, many are more than happy to live in their own enclaves without mixing with other cultures.

I am all for integration. As someone who has lived around the world, my observation is that this is a basic human nature to find company and safety in numbers of similar kinds . Unfortunately it soon be a ‘ghetto’. If you go to Sydney, you will see all the poms staying together. The Italian will have theirs and so on.. same in this country. Same in the US.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Not sure I 100% follow what you’ve written, but if I take it a face value then I’m not sure I can disagree more. Each to their own though.

Whatever I think of the taking of the knee, it’s not really up to me to judge it. If the group in question choose that gesture to peacefully demonstrate then I could either support it or ignore it. Choosing to react to it negatively is a strange way for anyone to say that they support the aim but not the method.

I too have experienced abuse, however mine was xenophobic rather than racist. My Mother and Grandparents experienced far more, both physical and verbal. I don’t feel the need to make an issue if it now as it no longer happens, but I’ll never forget it.

To quote me, "However, I will hold hands with anyone, give a leg up to anyone and defend anyone - IRRESPECTIVE of colour, race, religious creed or sexual orientation.

What part couldn't you disagree with more? Do you disagree with me holding hands with anyone, of giving anyone a leg up and defending anyone, irrespective of their colour, race, creed or sexual orientation? You couldn't disagree more with me wanting to do that? You don't want me to stand with anyone, help anyone or defend anyone? Really?

I'll be honest here, I can't follow what you've written either. Do you disagree with me not willing to take the knee? Who's judging now?

I actually feel we should all stand together "holding hands." I feel no one should kneel.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
To quote me, "However, I will hold hands with anyone, give a leg up to anyone and defend anyone - IRRESPECTIVE of colour, race, religious creed or sexual orientation.

What part couldn't you disagree with more? Do you disagree with me holding hands with anyone, of giving anyone a leg up and defending anyone, irrespective of their colour, race, creed or sexual orientation? You couldn't disagree more with me wanting to do that? You don't want me to stand with anyone, help anyone or defend anyone? Really?

I'll be honest here, I can't follow what you've written either. Do you disagree with me not willing to take the knee? Who's judging now?

I actually feel we should all stand together "holding hands." I feel no one should kneel.
I wasn’t intending to cause offence. I just struggled to follow your thought process completely. Could just as easily have been my issue as yours.

What I disagree with is the almost visceral reaction to the gesture. I’m absolutely sure you agree with the aim. I just really don’t understand the reaction to the taking of one knee. As peaceful protests go, it’s almost entirely inoffensive. I see it more as a gesture of request. It’s one knee. Not both. I don’t see it as subservient.

In the end, it doesn’t really matter what we think it’s origin is. It’s just a 10s gesture. Agree with it, ignore it or disagree with it, but to boo it seems a bit excessive without an underlying reason.

Ssshank

Visit site
Embarrassing is what it is.

You should not apologise for the actions of others regardless of your race unless you yourself act or think in such a way.

While we are on the subject, we should dismantle the colosseum for all the atrocities the Romans caused.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I am all for integration. As someone who has lived around the world, my observation is that this is a basic human nature to find company and safety in numbers of similar kinds . Unfortunately it soon be a ‘ghetto’. If you go to Sydney, you will see all the poms staying together. The Italian will have theirs and so on.. same in this country. Same in the US.

Yes unfortunately Multiculturalism has given us nothing but division in society.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wasn’t intending to cause offence. I just struggled to follow your thought process completely. Could just as easily have been my issue as yours.

What I disagree with is the almost visceral reaction to the gesture. I’m absolutely sure you agree with the aim. I just really don’t understand the reaction to the taking of one knee. As peaceful protests go, it’s almost entirely inoffensive. I see it more as a gesture of request. It’s one knee. Not both. I don’t see it as subservient.

In the end, it doesn’t really matter what we think it’s origin is. It’s just a 10s gesture. Agree with it, ignore it or disagree with it, but to boo it seems a bit excessive without an underlying reason.
Couldn't agree more. OK folks ....... so give us 10sec gesture that would be more powerful?

Mudball

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At footy today, was speaking to another dad who is black. Among other things, we were catching up... I was describing to him the view that BLM is a political and marxist moment.. We both had a belly laugh and his responses would get me multiple infraction. He talked about the lack of understanding and more importantly the acknowledgement of racism in the UK. Every one thinks this is an American problem but look away when it is raised here..

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
And who would that person believe is at fault for the division and lack of integration?
I guess they would suggest it's whoever divides or differentiates.

Returning to my original question to @2blue:. Would you say someone not liking multi-culturealism doesn't have a clue in these areas (whatever these areas are)