Sports Personality of the Year

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
Will Darren Clarke win Sports Personality of the year, as people are predicting ?

Would he be a worthy winner ? If not then who deserves it instead ?

The Ryder Cup team could win the team award, and what about Woods for the overseas award ? Woosie for the Manager award ?

Could there be a clean sweep for golf ?

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
I think overall British sport has had a disappointing year and as a result Clarke is big favourite. The flop at the World cup has thrown all of the awards open, particularly sports personality itself and team of the year. Clarke would be a fitting victor after the year he has had, no one would deny the strength of the man to perform so well at the Ryder Cup, along with the manor he presented himself.

To me there isn’t a great deal of competition, Calzaghe maybe but he hasn’t received the media coverage compared to Clarke.

I don’t think that Woosie should get the manager’s award as even I could have led that team to victory but Woods is certainly a contender for overseas personality.

I somehow don’t think the American team will be up for any awards!

Trueblue

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah, British sport has been a little disappointing - anytime where a camp comedian is in the running for swimming across the channnel you ahve to say it's not been a golden summer!

Clarke has got all the boxes ticked, with a heroic performance in the best sporting spectacle of the year and bags and bags of personality - which is a lot more than you can say for some of the past winners.

Andy Murray has arguably achieved more than anyone on the actual sporting field - to continue to rise as he has done aftre his stellar 2005 is a remarkable effort - but i think his time will come in this competition.

Teamwise Chelsea ought to win it but the Ryder Cup team will walk it.

Woosie is a bit of a welsh gnome but still got love his style...just as long as he doesn't get his wish to be captain again!

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
Chelsea ? If Paul 09 could lead the Ryder Cup team to victory then my nan could have led Chelsea to the league last year with all that money. I can see where 'Trueblue' comes from now.

The Europeans are far more deserving and I think Woosie has had a bit of a raw deal as far as credit for the victory goes - I thought he got the pairings spot on and kept everyone active and rested in equal measure throughout the three days and ensured that everyone contributed positively.

It is a shame that there's a lack of contenders for the main award but Clarke would get my vote. Calzaghe's performance against Lacey was superb but he's still unproven outside the UK and he isn't a household name like Clarke has become.

Woods would definitely get my vote, but again I'm not too sure who his overseas rivals will be. There wasn't a real star of the World Cup - Cannavaro perhaps, but I can't see an Italian centre-half winning the award. I suppose Fernando Alonso is now F1's youngest-ever double World Champion and Federer has had another good year, but nobody can match Woods for dominance, especially since July.