spirit of the game

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We had an interesting conversation the other day about the the spirit of the game, main bone of contention was guys using the mat in such a way you could hit driver off it when you would have no chance under normal conditions. Its allowed of course, like some others have mentioned they they have teeing up on the fairway.

what else do you consider against the spirit of the game?

Putting with the flag in!

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Handicaps over 18..........

(Runs for cover)

😉

I wish it was that easy to get there 😂
I’ve shot 14 shots below my handicap once, but normally I’m about 90 or just above.
But in all honesty I’d rather shoot 150 than try and gain any unfair advantage, it’s one of the reasons I took up golf, was the integrity of the sport 👍🏻

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Players who over-engineer the rules to gain an advantage. Like that chap (I forget who it was) who was digging his feet right in the sand and then saying the lining was too close to the surface or some nonsense. Just stop mucking about and play your shot.

I would also say some of the rulings we see are against the spirit of the game - when they penalise players who have acted honestly, not gained and advantage and not even tried to gain an advantage. I'll give the example of the chap who paced through a bunker and raked it before chipping onto the green and was penalised for 'improving his lie' (Not to open a can of worms on that though as we already discussed it of course)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
B
Let them tee it up I say, they can’t do it in qualifiers and once the season is back in full flow they won’t know what to do when the ball is back on the deck.

But winter competitions are still being played.

Ive seen some people who carry 2 matts - one that is artificially bent so that driver can be hit off the deck and a flatter one for iron play.

Its meant to be there to protect the course - wonder if you will get some people carrying 13 matts - one for each club? ;)

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
B

But winter competitions are still being played.

Ive seen some people who carry 2 mats - one that is artificially bent so that driver can be hit off the deck and a flatter one for iron play.

Its meant to be there to protect the course - wonder if you will get some people carrying 13 matts - one for each club? ;)

Ah, but were they fitted for the mats?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I’ve always thought that whatever club you claim to be using to gain relief, should be used for the shot after. For example someone pulling a driver and claiming a staked tree is in the way, when the wedge they should use from the rough would be impeded. Let em have relief then try and hit driver out of rough.

Having watched the golf this morning, I saw Poulter measure a drop in the sand with his Driver. Surprisingly he didn’t hit it out the sand.......

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
What club do use for measuring then? Everyone I know and have seen uses the driver .

I know everyone does, but as I said previously. I feel you should use the cub you intend to use. In the instance I mention an additional ref stepped in and he played from original spot as object could be moved.

Generally though the full length of a driver can make a big difference, be that for avoiding overhanging branches of taking a hazard out of play for an approach shot.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I know everyone does, but as I said previously. I feel you should use the cub you intend to use. In the instance I mention an additional ref stepped in and he played from original spot as object could be moved.

Generally though the full length of a driver can make a big difference, be that for avoiding overhanging branches of taking a hazard out of play for an approach shot.

I think you need to take time out to read the rules as you really seem to be getting this one wrong